× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

All disks marked as inactive

ppieper
Aspirant

All disks marked as inactive

Hello,

After pulling out and re-insert all the disks (one by one) to see if they are all the same type, all disks are marked as inactive.

I know it's a stupid thing to do without shutting down the unit.

I tried shutdown and wait with pulled power cord, but no volume shown or volume rebuild.

What can i do to recover the volume? 

Greets,

Patrick

Model: ReadyNAS-Ultra 6|ReadyNAS-Ultra 6
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: All disks marked as inactive

@ppieper wrote:

What can i do to recover the volume? 

What you did was a really bad idea.

If you are running 4.2.x firmware you can try contacting paid Netgear support.

Message 2 of 7
ppieper
Aspirant

I'am running firmware 6.10.4

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@ppieper wrote:

I'am running firmware 6.10.4

Netgear support won't help you then.

The best thing to do is a factory default, followed by reconfiguring your NAS, reinstalling your apps, and restoring your data from backup.

If you know how to use the linux command line, you might be able to forcibly assemble the RAID volume using ssh.  Note sure if it will work, and there could be some file system corruption/data loss even if it does work.

If you can connect all the disks to a Windows PC, then you could also use data recovery software (for instance ReclaiMe).

FWIW, with OS-6 you can see the disk sizes just by looking at the volume tab, and you can see the models by clicking on the drives shown on that tab.

Message 4 of 7
ppieper
Aspirant

Hi,

t"s not possible for me to connect them to windows pc, all at once.

Recovery on one disk is useless because of the fragmentation over 6 disks?

I ordered bigger disks before this happened.

I think i wait for them, and start from scratch with these bigger hdd's in the NAS.

Thanks for your time and afford.

Greetings,

Patrick

Message 5 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

You can try booting with each set of five drives.  When you pulled and re-inserted the first drive, the unit would have started a re-sync.  Then you pulled another in the middle of that sync, when the volume was already not redundant.  I would think that the set of five without the first one pulled would be the most likely to work if any of them are.

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

You can try booting with each set of five drives.  When you pulled and re-inserted the first drive, the unit would have started a re-sync.  Then you pulled another in the middle of that sync, when the volume was already not redundant.  I would think that the set of five without the first one pulled would be the most likely to work if any of them are.

That is worth a try.  The resync would definitely have stopped the instant you pulled the second drive.

If you do attempt this, you should boot up the NAS read-only so it doesn't attempt to "repair" anything.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements