× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

All settings were reset and can't be changed any longer

monneym
Aspirant

All settings were reset and can't be changed any longer

I have not logged to my ReadyNAS for some time, it was working fine, and all of a sudden I noticed that the logs are empty, all pre-installed addons are disabled, the newly installed by me dissappeared, backup jobs, everything gone. I can't change any option anymore, I can't install new addons. The ReadyNAS doesn't even respond to reboot, or shutdown.
I have ReadyNAS Ultra 4 with the latest available Radiator 4.2.27.

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
monneym
Aspirant

Re: All settings were reset and can't be changed any longer

Finally, found the proper disk to mount, and here you go

# df -h

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on

tmpfs                    10.0M         0     10.0M   0% /dev

/dev/sdd1               119.1M     51.7M     67.4M  43% /sysroot

/dev/md0                  4.0G      3.8G         0 100% /mnt

du -sh /mnt

3.3G    var

here are the guilty files:

-rw-r--r--    1 1431056384 Oct 29 00:17 LeafP2P.log

-rw-r--r--    1 1880812303 Oct 29 00:20 ReadyNAS_Remote.log

file filled with

Parsing config

Service not started

Error starting application -2

Well, zeroed those files and things look much better, still missing some addons, but everything is coming along

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

This sounds like a filling OS partition.

Do you have a backup?  If you can still access the shares, you should make one.

Do you have ssh enabled?

Message 2 of 14
monneym
Aspirant

Yes, I can access the partitions. I used to have ssh, but now it's gone, and I can't install it. When I tried to re-install it, I get: "Update file is not valid for this architecture."

Message 3 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That confirms that it is almost certainly a filling OS partition.

Do you have an up to date backup?

Message 4 of 14
monneym
Aspirant

Yes, I have a relatively new backup, but unfortunately, I rebooted the ReadyNAS and now I don't get to the shares. Other than https protocol, nothing else is enabled and I don't know how to access.
I have a configuration backup, but again can't restore it

Message 5 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Are you running Crashplan?

Message 6 of 14
monneym
Aspirant

no

Message 7 of 14
monneym
Aspirant

I can't get to the boot menu to reinstall OS. Holding the reset button while powering on- the system boots as normaly does and I never see "boot menu".

Message 8 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Restoring a config backup won't resolve a full OS partition.

If the config backup needs restoring it has to be done after fixing the problem.

Message 9 of 14
StephenB
Guru

What needs to happen:  someone needs to log into the box (with ssh or telnet), find the files that are choking the OS partition and either empty or delete them.

Usually the culprits are logs (in /var/logs) or the ReadyDLNA cache (in /var/cache).

Netgear can fix this fairly easily, so you could contact support (who would likely charge).  Or wait a bit longer and see if someone volunteers to help.

If you are comfortable with ssh/linux commands you can also boot into tech support mode, access the unit via telnet, and find the files yourself.

Message 10 of 14
monneym
Aspirant

I was able to enter into a Tech Support mode and now the system opened the telnet. What is the user/passsword? The system displays DebugMode [<number>]. I can clean the logs myself if Ican get into

Message 11 of 14
monneym
Aspirant

I want to summirize my situation here, may be this will help somebody else.
First, let me say I still have not solved my problem, my system is still not working, though the raid is not showing errors, but I can't update any settings on the ReadyNas, nor can I access the shares because the protocols are not enabled. I can, however, enter "Tech Support" mode, login via tellnet and poke around the system. Initially, I couln't do even that.

My system was in a state where, my internal flash drive was probably corrupt- I couldn't even enter "Boot" menu to boot in "Tech Support" mode. I was at least able to fix that, and here how I did it, thanks to the people in these thread that helped me a lot:

- create a bootable USB flash recovery drive
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?rls=en&q=cache:home.bott.ca/webserver/%3Fp%3D166

Make sure you run USB recovery utility - http://www.readynas.com/download/support/ReadyNAS_x86_USB_Flash_Recovery-4.2.12.zip

as Administrator

You can replace the firmware from the above with the latest http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RNDU2000/RAIDiator-x86-V4.2.27.zip

Just copy the unarchived image in the directory where you unzipped the usbrecovery.

Note: Make sure you USB flash drive is bootable- http://www.computertechblog.com/how-to-boot-windows-7-or-windows-8-or-windows-server-2008-r2-from-a-...

- once you had the USB recovery, turn off ReadyNAS, PRESS AND HOLD the Backup button while you power it back on until the power button stops blinking + 5 seconds and wait. The ReadyNas will restore your flash drive and shutdown in ~ 2 minutes. Power it back on to see it complete the update of the firmware.

After that, you should be able to enter the Boot menu, and enter Tech Support mode.

Entering the Boot menu is explained here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21104

Once you enter the Tech Support mode (DebugMode), the system enables telnet, so you can login into it using "root" and password I will not disclose publicly because it was given to me in private. Just send me a private message and I'll send it to you.

Once logged in, you should:

# /bin/start_raid.sh
# mount /dev/sdd1 /sysroot

You may need to use different device than sdd1, like hdc, hdd or whatever it is in your /dev/

Unfortunately, that was all I was able to achieve. I poked around the system, looked for big files or logs to clean- I found nothing. Maybe I need to mount something else or I'm missing config file(s) or something- my knowledge ends here for now.

If somebody knows how to manually check the configuration, the shares, etc, please, reply.

Message 12 of 14
monneym
Aspirant

Finally, found the proper disk to mount, and here you go

# df -h

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on

tmpfs                    10.0M         0     10.0M   0% /dev

/dev/sdd1               119.1M     51.7M     67.4M  43% /sysroot

/dev/md0                  4.0G      3.8G         0 100% /mnt

du -sh /mnt

3.3G    var

here are the guilty files:

-rw-r--r--    1 1431056384 Oct 29 00:17 LeafP2P.log

-rw-r--r--    1 1880812303 Oct 29 00:20 ReadyNAS_Remote.log

file filled with

Parsing config

Service not started

Error starting application -2

Well, zeroed those files and things look much better, still missing some addons, but everything is coming along

Message 13 of 14
monneym
Aspirant

One last clarification. You need to find out what disk you have and mount the proper root file system while in "Tech Support" mode (DebugMode). One way to see your disks is "sfdisk -s" or check the init log using dmesg- this shows you what disks are added to the raid and so forth when you ran /bin/start_raid.sh

In my case, I have /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc (3 disks), and /dev/md is the raid, so I mounted /dev/md0 like that:
# mount /dev/md0 /mnt

Or you can use any mounting point (sysroot, etc). I had the flashdrive on sysroot.

Don't forget to unmount it before you turn off the system
# umount /mnt

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements