× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: All shares disappeared after updating to Firmware version 6.6.1

perrij3
Guide

All shares disappeared after updating to Firmware version 6.6.1

When we came into work today, our Netgear is not accessible on the network.  All of our non Homes shares have dissappeared and the drive is not accessible via our network.  I am able to access the admin page.  There all the shares are missing (accept Home Shares, which we do not use).  It does appear that all the data is still there by the volume of used space on the harddrive, but just not accessible.  I did update the firmware on Thursday and the issue did start after the NAS104 started back up after being shutoff over the weekend.

I beleive the issue has to to with the SMB setting.  I am not able to enable it.  When I logged into the admin area today, SMB and AFP were disabled.  I was able to enable AFB, but not SMB.

Also, the ReadyCloud under Cloud was disabled again.

admin1.JPG

volume1.JPG

settings1.JPG

Our initrd.log file:

[2015/09/14 16:14:10] Factory default initiated due to new disks (no RAID, no partitions)!
[2015/09/14 16:14:51] Defaulting to X-RAID2 mode, RAID level 5
[2015/09/14 16:15:24] Factory default initiated on ReadyNASOS 6.2.0 (ReadyNASOS).
[2015/09/14 08:30:30] Updated from ReadyNASOS 6.2.0 (ReadyNASOS) to 6.2.5 (ReadyNASOS).
[1969/12/31 17:01:00] Updated from ReadyNASOS 6.2.5 (ReadyNASOS) to 6.4.0 (ReadyNASOS).
[2016/05/27 08:16:45] Updated from ReadyNASOS 6.4.0 (ReadyNASOS) to 6.5.0 (ReadyNASOS).
[2017/04/20 14:04:01] Updated from ReadyNASOS 6.5.0 (ReadyNASOS) to 6.6.1 (ReadyNASOS).
[2017/04/24 07:55:10] Updated from ReadyNASOS 6.6.1 (ReadyNASOS) to 6.6.1 (ReadyNASOS).

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
perrij3
Guide

Netgear support was able to rebuild and fix the issue with the drive.  Shortly after they got it back up and running, I started to receive Alert Messages from the drive that media capacity was nearly full.  This was a weird message as we only use about 200GB of out 2TB worth of stroage.

Example Message of what we received:

"Less than 20% of volume media's capacity is free. Performance on volume media will degrade if additional capacity is consumed. NETGEAR recommends that you add capacity to avoid performance degradation."

After doing some research, I came across the following thread which explains that the antivirus program that is included on the ReadyNAS was causing the issue.  I have since turned off the antivirus program (not really a good option in my option) until the new version of the firmware comes out, which is supposed to fix the issue.

For more information about the antivirus program causing this issue, visit this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Strange-Warning-Less-than-5-of-volume-media-s-c...

Thanks for everyones feedback and suggestion on getting this problem fixed.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
perrij3
Guide

Here is the error message I receive from Windows when trying to connect to the device using the IP Address:

The device or resource (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) is not set up to accept connections on port "The File and printer sharing (SMB)"

windowsmessage.JPG

Message 2 of 8
jak0lantash
Mentor

If you log in via SSH, do you see the shares?

(Don't do SSH if you're not confident with using it). 

ls -l /data

From the logs you downloaded, check in btrfs.log if you see your shares in the subvolume section. Any error at the end of status.log? Any BTRFS error in systemd-journal.log?

Check on your MyNETGEAR account if you're still entitled for Support, if so, you should contact NETGEAR Support.

Message 3 of 8
perrij3
Guide

Thanks jak0lantash,

I have contacted Netgear support to look into the issue.  They are working on the device right now.

The shares do show up within the btrfs.log  file.

Only error within the status.log has to do with the antivirus:  err:system:LOGMSG_ANTIVIRUS_DEF_UPDATE_FAIL Antivirus scanner definition file update failed. (error code: 5)

The are no error message for BTRFS wihin the systemd-journal.log.

Message 4 of 8
jak0lantash
Mentor

@perrij3 wrote:

I have contacted Netgear support to look into the issue.  They are working on the device right now.

I think it was wise to do so. Let us know how it goes.

Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The main config file for the SMB service is missing some values and the SMB share configuration has been lost. Support would be able to fix this presumably with the default configuration.

This can sometimes happen e.g. when the 4GB root volume is temporarily filled.

Message 6 of 8
perrij3
Guide

Netgear support was able to rebuild and fix the issue with the drive.  Shortly after they got it back up and running, I started to receive Alert Messages from the drive that media capacity was nearly full.  This was a weird message as we only use about 200GB of out 2TB worth of stroage.

Example Message of what we received:

"Less than 20% of volume media's capacity is free. Performance on volume media will degrade if additional capacity is consumed. NETGEAR recommends that you add capacity to avoid performance degradation."

After doing some research, I came across the following thread which explains that the antivirus program that is included on the ReadyNAS was causing the issue.  I have since turned off the antivirus program (not really a good option in my option) until the new version of the firmware comes out, which is supposed to fix the issue.

For more information about the antivirus program causing this issue, visit this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Strange-Warning-Less-than-5-of-volume-media-s-c...

Thanks for everyones feedback and suggestion on getting this problem fixed.

Message 7 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements