× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Allocation question (Why u no take advantage of 3TB driv

CharlesW
Aspirant

Allocation question (Why u no take advantage of 3TB drives?)

Hello,

I have an Ultra 6+ with the current RAIDiator (4.2.21) and this configuration: RAID Level X-RAID2, 6 disks (with dual redundancy).

I have three 2 TB drives (1863 GB, 1858 GB allocated) and three 3 TB drives (2794 GB, only 1858 GB allocated).

Question: Why do the 3 TB drives only have 1858 GB allocated? What drives could I remove/add to so that RAIDiator would use the 3 TB drives to their full capacity?

— Charles

P.S. I've tried to research this issue before posting. I've done things like enable full data journaling, disable spin-down, delete and disabled snapshots, etc. and restarted many times. My feeling now is that it's not an expansion problem per se, but an X-RAID2 "rules" problem that I don't yet understand.
Message 1 of 6
pugilares
Aspirant

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

pugilares, with xraid2 the sizing is different. The 3 TB drives should be fully available. leaving about 10 TB of total available space (single redundancy).

CharlesW - I suggest you open a support ticket (perhaps an on-line one if your free phone support is over). You appear to have done everything listed here: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=42113
Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Don't bother with a support case just yet Charles. Using dual-redundancy you need four higher capacity disks for vertical expansion. Add a fourth 3TB disk and your volume will be able to expand.

Take a look at X-RAID2 dual-redundancy expansion paths
Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

oops missed the dual redundancy... mdgm is correct as usual.
Message 5 of 6
CharlesW
Aspirant

Cool! Many thanks for the quick replies, StephenB and mdgm. I can now order a fourth 3 TB drive with confidence.

— Charles
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements