× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Allowing only whitelisted IP addresses

ChaseB
Aspirant

Allowing only whitelisted IP addresses

Hi, was wondering if it were possible to restrict remote access by IP? For example, I travel a lot but use a VPN for a static IP, is it possible to whitelist this IP as the only one able to access the NAS?
Message 1 of 5
EskenderNG
NETGEAR Employee

Re: Allowing only whitelisted IP addresses

Hi,

Which ReadyNAS are you using by the way? Is the VPN tunnel ending at your home or are you using a rented/free service with an unencrypted segment between the VPN server and your home? In case of the latter and if using ReadyCLOUD/ReadyNAS Remote it might be difficult to setup a whitelist as several IPs of Netgear’s servers would probably need to be whitelisted rather than the VPN server IP.

In any case, I don’t think the ReadyNAS Firmware offers an option for whitelisting IPs. Maybe you could look at your router rather than the ReadyNAS for IP-based access restriction.

However, I do like your request for this security feature although demand might be limited at least on the home user side.

Bye,
Eskender
Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

I think the main issue here is that most people are getting dynamic IP addresses while on the road. And in the case of a VPN tunnel that is not terminating in the home there would need to be some clarify on which IP address is being whitelisted. So I agree that use of this particular feature would be limited.

Though there are some applications - particularly if you are wanting to access the NAS between two business locations.
Message 3 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Between two business locations I'd recommend a vpn endpoint router at each end.
Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

mdgm wrote:
Between two business locations I'd recommend a vpn endpoint router at each end.
Me too. But I can still see that some people might want to white-list the rsync IP addresses.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements