× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Amazon Cloud Drive 1-Way Sync and Encryption

nitro001
Aspirant

Amazon Cloud Drive 1-Way Sync and Encryption

Hello,

I have been a long time NV+ user (9 years), and an NV user before that.

I wrote a thread a little while ago contemplating updating from the NV+ to a newer model, looking for something that did Plex, etc...

One thing I do want to look at is the Amazon Cloud Drive, as I want off-site backup and cloud drive has a good price for it.  However, I am not sure of its feature set for backups. From what I can tell it is currently a 2 way sync and not 1 way directional for backup purposes and is a full share sync.

Secondly, there is nothing to indicate if it is encrypted or not.  I know other NAS vendors, such as Synology have the option to encrypt data as it is stored on the Cloud and sync specific folders in 1 direction as well.

Are the options to sync specific folders available and encrypt the data availalbe?  There are some folders I would not want to send to the cloud and they are all on 1 share (really don't want to mess with symbolic links for folders though).

And is Encryption available for files/folders?

If they are not, are they planned for an upcoming OS release?

Thanks,

Nathan

Message 1 of 6
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Amazon Cloud Drive 1-Way Sync and Encryption

Hi nitro001,

Amazon Cloud Drive or ACD, does bidirectional (two-way) sync. You can select share/s from your ReadyNAS system that you want to sync with your Amazon Cloud Drive folders. Lastly, the backup or sync is HTTPS (SSL) encrypted.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@BrianL2 wrote:

Lastly, the backup or sync is HTTPS (SSL) encrypted.

But the files themselves are not, correct?

Message 3 of 6
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi StephenB,

Though we transmit data securely through an encrypted tunnel to ACD, we don't encrypt  files.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 6
pingjockey
Tutor

Brian and Readynas team:

File encryption would be an awesome feature to have so that I can securely (well as securet can in a cloud environment) store offsite copies of my files.

Message 5 of 6
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi pingjockey,

Your idea to improve the quality and functionality of the product is very much appreciated, and we thank you for sharing your interest in this. You may post this suggestion or idea at the Idea Exchange board. Adding or getting kudos will get more attention from our development team and might get considered to be added to the product's future functionality.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements