× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

An error occurred during synchronization

schwizer
Aspirant

An error occurred during synchronization

I keep getting "An error occurred during synchronization" after coming back from a 2 week Christmas holiday. It pops up like every 10 seconds and it's driving me crazy.

Failed to Upload file

Reason: Service Unavailable.

RN 6.9.1 software.

Windows 10 1607

When I go to the file locations on my PC, the files are there and I can open them just fine. The readynas was online (at first) but then I noticed I couldn't access the folders. Then I logged in online and it said "Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2,3,4 which obviously was concerning. It also said "No volumes exist" even though i haven't changed anything in quite some time. Just came back from vacation..... The readynas has power to it but I feel like it might be a weak power connection on the power plug at the back of the NAS. rebooted the NAS. Still the same error. I'm afraid to remove the discs and put them back in. Using support option online tells me i'm not eligible for phone support. RAIDar shows all drives to be ok (green checkmark).

I tried to attach a zip file with logs but can't attach zip file extensions so i copied a bunch of screenshots into a jpg. Kind of worried a bit. Any help appreciated.

Schwizer

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Re: An error occurred during synchronization

Look at the smart stats in disk_info.log, and if they are ok then try rebooting the NAS.

Message 2 of 14
schwizer
Aspirant

Not sure what i'm looking for in those stats.  The error count?  I pasted the log into a jpg and attached it here.  Rebooting had no effect.

ATA Error Count:                70

ATA Error Count:                138

ATA Error Count:                150

ATA Error Count:                0

Schwizer

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 3 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@schwizer wrote:

ATA Error Count:                70

ATA Error Count:                138

ATA Error Count:                150

ATA Error Count:                0

These aren't great.  The ones that matter are

ATA Error Count: 0
Reallocated Sectors: 0
Spin Retry Count: 0
Current Pending Sector Count: 0
Uncorrectable Sector Count: 0

Message 4 of 14
schwizer
Aspirant

All the other errors show zero.  Only the ATA errors.  I find it hard to believe that 2 of 4 WD RED 3TB hard drives failed simultaneously after only 2 years of light use.  This NAS stores only my video collection and doesn't see much IO.  Also, RAIDar and the web admin page always showed the drive in good status (meaning the device status is showing "Healty" on the System page which shows healthy even as we speak even though i can not access any drives).  There was no warning.

What does "Disk: Disk in channel 2 (internal) changed state frmo ONLINE to FAILED" mean?  This happened at exactly the same time for channels 2 & 3.  I find it more likely that it's a failure of the NAS board that communicates with the drives.  Also, why are drives 1 & 4 showing as Inactive? Is this just because drive 2 & 3 failing simultaneously knocked out the RIAD 5 array?  It's not very comforting.  Anything that can be done to troubleshoot repair this?  I feel like right now, the NAS has had a complete failure and i don't even know why which is the most frustrating part.

Schwizer

Message 5 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Drives 1 and 4 are inactive because the array has failed.

ATA errors (unlike reallocated sectors, etc) could either be related to the drives or they could be related to the NAS SATA backplane.  The RN100 has a three year warranty for the original purchaser - you can check your warranty status at my.netgear.com.

I also suggest testing the drives in a Windows PC using Western Digital's Lifeguard program.  You can connect the drives using either SATA or a USB adapter/dock.  Don't format the drives of course, and only run the non-destructive tests in Lifeguard (the destructive ones are under "advanced").

Message 6 of 14
schwizer
Aspirant

Ok so the pseudocode is

1. Check all 4 drives individually in Lifeguard

2. If drives check good, send NAS for warranty.  It's still covered under warranty.

3. If drives check bad, don't buy any more WD Red drives:)

That sound about right?  Any idea what could cause this type of failure on the NAS SATA backplate (assuming it's that)? and why was there no yellow/orange flag before it went splat?

Schwizer

Message 7 of 14
StephenB
Guru

I've been using the WD Reds since they were introduced (and have 14 in service now).  I've had no issues with them.   Seagate Ironwolf also seem to work out well. 

So I wouldn't blame the disk models.

@schwizer wrote:

That sound about right?  Any idea what could cause this type of failure on the NAS SATA backplate (assuming it's that)? and why was there no yellow/orange flag before it went splat?

I've seen a few backplane failures from other posters, but not very many.  I have no idea on the cause - perhaps a SATA controller?  

Overall, in most RAID volumes a lot of the data blocks aren't read/written very often.  That can delay the detection of disk problems, until a disk is replaced (or a volume resync is done for some other reason).  That delay increases the odds of multiple disks failing during the resync. 

Running the maintenance functions on a schedule can help with this - particularly the disk test and the volume scrub.   Balance and Defrags are also good to run on a schedule, but don't function as disk diagnostics.  I run each of the maintenance functions once per quarter.

Message 8 of 14
schwizer
Aspirant

Thank you I will add those to my toolbelt.  Would be nice if the NAS did a self diagnostics automatically as this seems like the kind of thing that the user shouldn't hvae to worry about.  The last thing someone wants is for the array to fail during a rebuild.

I am trying to go through the RMA process as the WD troubleshooter found nothing wrong with the drives but Netgear website is giving me the runaround.  The article below sais to call the number for an RMA but the automated bot asks for the first 3 digits of the SN and then says that the RMA has to be entered online and hangs up.....

https://kb.netgear.com/1162/How-can-I-get-a-Return-Material-Authorization

Any ideas?

Schwizer

Message 9 of 14
StephenB
Guru

I suggest logging into my.netgear.com.  Register your NAS if that hasn't been done already.  Also upload the proof of purchase if that hasn't been done already.

You'll see an option on the right side called "my support".  Click on that, and then click on "contact support".  You'll see a "replace my defective product" link there.  Click on that, and fill in the requested information.

Message 10 of 14
schwizer
Aspirant

I don't get quite that option.  Screenshot attached.  I do get a "Hard Disk RMA" and the RN1040 is selectable from a drop down menu but on the following page it says "Only disks supplied by NETGEAR are covered under warranty" so i'm guessing this option is only for disk RMAs not for NAS RMAs.  Should i just push through with this option?  I don't want to send it in and then have them reject it because i didn't follow procedure...

Schwizer

Message 11 of 14
StephenB
Guru

You don't want to use the hard disk RMA.

This is the sequence I am suggestingSupport-1.png then Support-2.png

then

Support-3.png

Message 12 of 14
schwizer
Aspirant

So i'm going back and forth with the customer service team and here is their last reply.

I do apologized for the inconvenience. Base on the logs of the device the files is no longer intact. You can also contact the manufacturer of the drives if you dont like to proceed to our data recovery. We cannot replace the device since this is not a hardware issue.

https://kb.netgear.com/19392/ATA-errors-increasing-on-disk-s-in-ReadyNAS.

It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for choosing NETGEAR. Have a great day!

That make any sense to anyone?  They are saying that two 2-year old drives failed simultaneously and that it's not a hardware problem.  What test am i supposed to run to test the hardware and identify whether it's a drive fault or NAS fault?  I've already checked the drives individually and they were ok...  Am i just supposed to go out and buy 4 new hard drives to show them that the unit still doesn't work?

This is rediculous.  They want me to pay $200 for someone to remotely control my unit and do troubleshooting.  The unit is under warranty.  How do i get an RMA number out of them?

Schwizer

Message 13 of 14
schwizer
Aspirant

I guess that's the end of the Netgear support line.  If netgear fails, blame drives and refuse service.  Sounds convenient.  Wish i could do that to my customers.  Will not be recommending Netgear to anyone.

Schwizer

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements