× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Another question about ReadyNAS Duo V2 and new disk!

Telnet
Aspirant

Another question about ReadyNAS Duo V2 and new disk!

Hi all!

I've been running my NAS now for a couple of years without any problems. I had two 2TB WD Caviar green HD's (WD20EARS) installed in X-RAID config. A while ago disk 2 started to give SMART varnings, so I decided to change disks and at the same time get a bit more space... I purchased two 4TB WD RED disks (WD40EFRX) since those were the biggest compatible disks according to the compatibility list. I'm running RAIDiator 4.1.7, which I perhaps should have updated before the swap...

This is what I have done;

I hot swapped disk 2 and got several entries in the log:

First "Disk remove event on SATA channel2"

Then "A SATA reset..."

Then "Disk add event occurred on SATA channel 2."

And lastly "The disk attached to channel 2 could not be used...".

Under "volumes" disk2 is visible, but "grayed out", I cannot start synchronizing the disks. The LED for disk 2 is blinking at about 1Hz, LED for disk 1 is steady on. This has been going on for about 24 hours now.

So, my question is, is this normal? Should I just wait a while longer in case that the NAS is synching automagically or should I do something. The NAS is accessible from the network, but I am worried about the files...

And, if things start functioning is there anything that I should think about before swapping Disk 1?

Thanks in advance! I've tried to search the forum but have not been able to find an answer...

Model: RND2000v2|READYNAS DUO v2|EOL
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

@Telnetwrote:

I purchased two 4TB WD RED disks (WD40EFRX) since those were the biggest compatible disks according to the compatibility list. I'm running RAIDiator 4.1.7, which I perhaps should have updated before the swap...

Unfortunately, the fact that you are running RAIDiator 4.1.x means you have misidentified your NAS.  It is a Duo V1, not a Duo V2, and 2TB is the max drive size it can handle.  It's a hardware limitation, not a firmware one.

Netgear made a major blunder in re-using the "V2" designation.  They now call what you have a "V1, hardware revision 2", but it still says "V2" on the rear lable on units like yours and their failure to understand the confusion it was bound to cause is mystifying.  A "real" V2 says "V2" on the front, has a part number ending in -200NAS, and runs firmware 5.x.

Because your NAS does not support drives >2TB, it only sees the roll-over size after 2TB, so it believes the drive is too small for your current array.  There is no solution even to use the first 2TB of the drive..

The drive compatibility list for the legacy NASes are useless at this point because of lack of updates, but two 2TB WD Reds are certainly a good choice (and much better than the Greens, which are not intended for NAS use).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

@Telnetwrote:

I purchased two 4TB WD RED disks (WD40EFRX) since those were the biggest compatible disks according to the compatibility list. I'm running RAIDiator 4.1.7, which I perhaps should have updated before the swap...

Unfortunately, the fact that you are running RAIDiator 4.1.x means you have misidentified your NAS.  It is a Duo V1, not a Duo V2, and 2TB is the max drive size it can handle.  It's a hardware limitation, not a firmware one.

Netgear made a major blunder in re-using the "V2" designation.  They now call what you have a "V1, hardware revision 2", but it still says "V2" on the rear lable on units like yours and their failure to understand the confusion it was bound to cause is mystifying.  A "real" V2 says "V2" on the front, has a part number ending in -200NAS, and runs firmware 5.x.

Because your NAS does not support drives >2TB, it only sees the roll-over size after 2TB, so it believes the drive is too small for your current array.  There is no solution even to use the first 2TB of the drive..

The drive compatibility list for the legacy NASes are useless at this point because of lack of updates, but two 2TB WD Reds are certainly a good choice (and much better than the Greens, which are not intended for NAS use).

Message 2 of 5
Telnet
Aspirant

Thanks a lot Sandshark!

Indeed confusing! One would have thought that the label on the back indicated the model and not some revision...

Well then, I guess that I have to purchase a new NAS and put the new disks in. In the mean time, should I put the old 2TB disk back in (even though it gives SMART warnings), or should I let the NAS have just one disk inserted?

Again; thanks for clearing this up!

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Telnet wrote:

Well then, I guess that I have to purchase a new NAS and put the new disks in.

Correct.  An RN212 is the equivalent model that is currently shipping.  It is 4-5x faster than your NAS, and has more features. You might consider a 4-bay unit - though it costs more up front, it gives you less expensive expansion options later on. 

The RN400 series is also worth considering - it costs more, but you do get somewhat better performance, and a 5 year warranty (instead of 3)

@Telnet wrote:

should I put the old 2TB disk back in (even though it gives SMART warnings),

What SMART errors are you seeing?

My advice is to leave it out, and instead make sure all your data is backed up to another device.  If you have a USB dock/adapter (or can temporarily put a WD40EFRX into a desktop PC), then you could use one of your new disks for that backup.

There isn't a lot of value in adding an unreliable drive to the array.  And doing so will force a resync - which can stress the remaining drive.  If that fails, then you are facing data loss.

Message 4 of 5
Telnet
Aspirant

Thanks for all the help! It's really appreciated!

Anyways, I bought a 2TB WD RED (WDC WD20EFRX) and exchanged the old HD! Messages are now;

"Disk remove event occurred on SATA channel 2."

"Disk add event occurred on SATA channel 2."

"Disk initialization successfully finished."

"RAID sync started on volume C."

Status is green! Yay!

The 4TB disks will rest for now... Space is enough for the time being!

Cheers!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements