× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Antivirus scanner definition file update failed

Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@HansRL @bsailer

Welcome to the Community!

Thank you for providing information, we will be checking on this. It would be best if you can send us your full logs through PM and we will coordinate with the team to check on this.

Apologies for the delay in reply.

Thanks @StephenB

Sincerely,

Message 26 of 339
Eric_Conley
Aspirant

Any update on this issue?  I have two ReadyNAS 212's that have been running for a couple of years with no issue and updates started failing on or around 7/5.  Both devices were running 6.10.2 when the errors started.  Updated to 6.10.3 in an attempt to fix the issue with no joy.  Reboots of the device or running a FRESHCLAM make the error go away temporarily but it comes back within a couple of days.

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 27 of 339
HansRL
Apprentice

That's why I added FRESHCLAM to the CRONTAB; once a day updating my virus-definitions.

short description how to add:
open a SSH-session with your NAS and logon with userid: root
enter command: crontab -e
move your cursor to the last letter in the file and enter: o

put in next line: 5 21 * * * /usr/bin/freshclam

enter: shift+zz

and now every day at 5 minutes past nine FRESHCLAM will run

rgds

Message 28 of 339
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We are now checking on this issue and we will update you regarding the findings.

Are we still having issues with the Clam update? If someone here has not ran freshclam manually and still having the issue kindly PM me. We need to check it backend.

Thanks!

Message 29 of 339
peterongley
Guide

I am also experiencing issues related to the antivirus update. This issue for me commenced around the time I update the firmware to the latest 6.10.3 in late June..  I have tried many of the actions suggested by others such as rebooting the NAS and turning AV on and off to no avail, Every day I get a a warning that the update hase failed.  Over the last few days another warning message has been added relation to the System Volume usage being high at 87%  My gut feeling is that these two are related. I have absolutely no skills when it comes to using Linux etc. I would appreciate knowing what the solution is.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 30 of 339
StephenB
Guru

You should consider paid per-incident support on the OS partition. Also, it would be good to update your backup.

Message 31 of 339
CJDEN
Tutor

I see both my units (on 6.10.3) reporting this error randomly. My 212 did for a period show error every day when the 214 did not, but then it started to update again. The only difference between the units is the time of day they are set to start up. So pretty difficult to see what a user can do when 2 similar devises show same error but on random days. The only common observation is that the update either fails or is successful some 15-20 min after startup. Pretty strange.

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage, RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 32 of 339
Car557
Aspirant

Good Afternoon,

I am experiencing the same issue.  I am running 6.10.3, that actually started failing on 7/13.  I disabled and renabled as well with the same result.  

Model: RN214D42|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (4x 2TB Desktop)
Message 33 of 339
kcejo
Tutor

Having the same problem.  Wish there was a way to manually download the virus definitions.  Have tried to find a way to do that, but no luck.

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 34 of 339
at4roku1
Tutor

Same problem here - started on 23 July. Come on, Netgear- Put more focus on it, please!

@kcejo wrote:

Having the same problem.  Wish there was a way to manually download the virus definitions.  Have tried to find a way to do that, but no luck.

Message 35 of 339
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It would be best if you can log a case so they can submit a bug report and have this fixed. If you have a case number kindly PM it to me as well.

We were able to check one of the units having issues here and seemed to be normal though there were OOM messages due to Clam running that is why we really should have the units check by Support so they can properly assess and provide a fix if needed.

HTH

Message 36 of 339
at4roku1
Tutor

Hi Marc,

I´ve sent you a link to my logfiles.

Thank, you!

Message 37 of 339
peterongley
Guide

Thanks Marc,

PM with case number sent.

Message 38 of 339
StephenB
Guru

@Marc_V wrote:

We were able to check one of the units having issues here and seemed to be normal though there were OOM messages due to Clam running that is why we really should have the units check by Support so they can properly assess and provide a fix if needed.

Interesting.  FWIW, I enabled ClamAV on my RN202 a few days ago, to see if I can reproduce the problem.  So far it hasn't happened.

@Marc_V wrote:

It would be best if you can log a case so they can submit a bug report and have this fixed.

Do people still need to pay for support in order to report a bug?  If so, it would be really good if there was a process that didn't require that.

Message 39 of 339
peterongley
Guide

Do people still need to pay for support in order to report a bug?  If so, it would be really good if there was a process that didn't require that.

yes. I had to pay $150 Australian to get this looked at. It appears to be the only way they will take any notice. The default troubleshooting resource appears to be Netgear Community 

Message 40 of 339
kcejo
Tutor

Hi, Marc

I've also sent you a link to my log files.  Hope that helps.

Ericka

Message 41 of 339
HansRL
Apprentice

@kcejo 

see my post:

That's why I added FRESHCLAM to the CRONTAB; once a day updating my virus-definitions.

short description how to add:
enter command: crontab -e
move your cursor to the last letter in the file and enter: o

put in next line: 5 21 * * * /usr/bin/freshclam

hit key-combi: shift+zz

and now every day at 5 minutes past nine FRESHCLAM will run

or if you want to do it completely manual:
enter command: freshclam

rgds

Message 42 of 339
StephenB
Guru

@HansRL wrote:

see my post:

FWIW, If your NAS is running out of memory when the normal job runs, then that really does need Netgear's attention.

Another thing you could try is to turn off services you don't use (and similarly uninstall apps you don't use), and see if that reduces the memory footprint enough to get the normal job to run.

Message 43 of 339
kcejo
Tutor

Hi, HansRL and StephenB,

FYI, my device has plenty of storage room left.  I have two 6Tb drives and am only using just over 2Tb.  I have no apps or services installed, so I don't think any of those issues are my problem.  I've been in contact with Marc, given him my log files and have enabled the Secure Diagnostic Mode so that they can check out the issue on a device that hasn't had the freshclam command enabled yet.  It sounds as though they have been wanting to look at a machine that hasn't had this command set up on it already.  If it will help to diagnose the issue and get it fixed, I'll wait a few days longer before following the steps that have been outlined in the thread to make sure that the antivirus settings are updated.  Hopefully, there haven't been any recent updates and my device isn't open to the world 🙂

Oh well, if they want to see all my old edited family pics, videos and various instruction manuals, etc, it's not like it would be a big security breach for me, lol.  But I'll definitely want to be running an antivirus scan soon just to be sure nobody's accessing anything else 🙂

Thanks for looking out for me.  Hopefully Marc will get back to us all with some positive results.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Ericka

Message 44 of 339
StephenB
Guru

@kcejo wrote:

FYI, my device has plenty of storage room left.  I have two 6Tb drives and am only using just over 2Tb.

That's not the storage that I suggested checking.

I meant the OS partition usage (sometimes called "root" usage).  The NAS boots off of a 4 GB partition on the hard drive, and if that gets filled up the system will misbehave in a variety of ways.

If you have no apps, then it is unlikely to be full (though there are still a couple of ways it can happen).  

But if you are waiting on Netgear, it'd be best to just leave things as they are.  Let us know what happens.

Message 45 of 339
kcejo
Tutor

Well, I tried logging in with Putty to see if that would tell me how much space was in the root usage area, but my Putty/Linux/Netgear fluency is pretty much nil.  Once upon a time, I was fluent in Assembler, Cobol, etc, but that doesn't seem to help that much here.  Since I haven't ever gotten any notices that my OS partition is getting full, I'm assuming it's fine and I'll stop messing with it and possibly screw it up for their review and analysis.  I heard from Marc again this morning, needing some additional info, so hopefully we'll hear something soon.  If not, then I'll do a manual download at the very least.

Thanks for the correction!

Ericka

Message 46 of 339
StephenB
Guru

@kcejo wrote:

Well, I tried logging in with Putty to see if that would tell me how much space was in the root usage area, but my Putty/Linux/Netgear fluency is pretty much nil. 

Best to be really cautious then.

FWIW, the relevant linux command is 

# df // -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0        3.7G  554M  3.0G  16% /

/dev/md0 being the OS partition.  FWIW, the info above comes from my own RN202.

If you have a log zip file, you can also see this in volume.log  - scroll down towards the end, and you will see the space used by /dev/md0

Message 47 of 339
kcejo
Tutor

Message 48 of 339
kcejo
Tutor

Oops, thought that not-quite-done reply had been lost instead of posted.  Somehow, I can't delete the previous post, so I just deleted everything in it 🙂

Best to be really cautious then.

"Always.  My days from using DOS made me really careful about what I enter into a command line."

If you have a log zip file, you can also see this in volume.log  - scroll down towards the end, and you will see the space used by /dev/md0

I checked the log zip file and the volume.log file showed a Size of 15 748 and a Packed Size of 1 803.

The /dev/md0 shows the following for df -h

/dev/md0  Size: 3.7G   Used: 1.2G  Avail: 2.3G  Use%: 35% Mounted on: /

The /dev/md0 shows the following for df -i:

/dev/md0  Inodes: 1048576  IUsed: 12495  IFree: 1036081  IUse#: 2%   Mounted on: /

Thanks for the info to be able to check usage without having to change anything.

Ericka

Message 49 of 339
eph3
Aspirant

This seems similar to my experience back in June when I started getting

System: Antivirus scanner definition file update failed due to download failure. Check your Internet connection.

Somehow the database files were messed up and it could never manage to reinstall them right. I figured out how to delete them and manually reinstall them. Once I did that, the problem went away and nver came back. The details are in this thread:

ReadyNAS 628 Virus definitions not loading 

Model: RN628X|ReadyNAS 628X - Ultimate Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 50 of 339
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements