× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Antivirus scanner definition file update failed

StephenB
Guru

@eph3 wrote:

This seems similar to my experience back in June when I started getting

These folks aren't seeing errors when they run freshclam from ssh (at least not the ones who are comfortable with ssh).  So I think it is different.

I've been running clamav for several days now, and haven't run into the problem.

Message 51 of 339
HansRL
Apprentice

@eph3,

I agree with StephanB ; not the same issue... running FRESHCLAM works fine, so it looks like it is no issue the the clamav-installation.

rgd HansRL

Message 52 of 339
chrhei
Luminary

ReadyNAS 202, Firmware 6.10.3, 2x 1TB

Same here for me. Happened the first time on 19 July 2020. A reboot didn't helped to fix this issue. I was not able to fix it on my own. Tried it by deleting all files from /var/lib/clamav and running freshclam manually. Now I run a daily CRON job executing freshclam. This works reliable for me. All mounted drives have enough free space, reported by df.

Model: RN202|ReadyNAS202 2-Bay
Message 53 of 339
shuvam
Aspirant

Firmware 6.10.3

I have the same problem of antivirus signature file update error.

To run "freshclam" by hand, I need to be "root". How does one get the root shell prompt on the NAS box? I have SSH set up, and I regularly login as a local user (which I have created) and as admin, but neither of them is root. If I try to log in as admin@nasbox, my userID is 98, not 0, and if I run "freshclam" as that user, I get permission errors -- it cannot create a file or directory (I don't remember which) under /var/lib/clamav/

So I am guessing that "freshclam" can only be run as root. When I try to do an "ssh root@nasbox" I am told "Permission denied".

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 54 of 339
kcejo
Tutor

FYI, I've sent a PM to Marc to see where he is on troubleshooting the issue using my "untouched" NAS.  Hopefully, he'll reply back soon and have something for all of us.  I'm still getting the error, so if I don't hear back soon, I'll try at least doing a manual update.

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 55 of 339
chrhei
Luminary

Message 56 of 339
Sandshark
Sensei

User name root, password same as admin's.

Message 57 of 339
shuvam
Aspirant

@chrhei wrote:

Hi shuvam,

a search machine is your friend: https://kb.netgear.com/30068/ReadyNAS-OS-6-SSH-access-support-and-configuration-guides

I am sorry if my earlier post was not clear enough. I have enabled SSH on the NAS box, and I am regularly logging in as "shuvam" (local user) and as "admin" to the box over SSH. This of course has only been possible because I have read, and followed, the help guide page you have referred to. I do not know whether anyone can set up SSH access on their ReadyNAS box without reading this page.

My problem is that I am not being permitted to login as "root" over SSH.
Please see attached screenshot which shows you how my "ssh admin@hasbox" goes through, but "ssh root@nasbox" fails.

Message 58 of 339
StephenB
Guru

@shuvam wrote:

I am sorry if my earlier post was not clear enough. I have enabled SSH on the NAS box, and I am regularly logging in as "shuvam" (local user) and as "admin" to the box over SSH. 

My problem is that I am not being permitted to login as "root" over SSH.
Please see attached screenshot which shows you how my "ssh admin@hasbox" goes through, but "ssh root@nasbox" fails.

That is unusual - your second ssh should work if you are also using the NAS admin password.

Can you try changing the admin password from the web UI, and then trying again.  Also, don't change it to the default password - I don't think that will work.

Message 59 of 339
Sandshark
Sensei

Did you ever change the admin password via SSH instead of the GUI?  I believe that can result in the admin and root passwords not being in sync.

Message 60 of 339
shuvam
Aspirant

That is unusual - your second ssh should work if you are also using the NAS admin password.

Can you try changing the admin password from the web UI, and then trying again.  Also, don't change it to the default password - I don't think that will work.

Let me try this and get back. Thanks for a concrete suggestion.

Message 61 of 339
shuvam
Aspirant

@Sandshark wrote:

Did you ever change the admin password via SSH instead of the GUI?  I believe that can result in the admin and root passwords not being in sync.

No. The admin password has only been set from the GUI, and has not been changed thereafter. I've never run the "passwd" command from the shell prompt for any user on that box.

Message 62 of 339
shuvam
Aspirant

@shuvam wrote:

Tried it. It worked. Thanks. No idea what caused the problem, but I can do "ssh root@nasbox" now.

Message 63 of 339
shuvam
Aspirant

So, now that I could login as root, I ran "freshclam -v" from the shell prompt, and it ran without any errors. It reported that my ClamAV version was outdated, but that's about it. Signature database updates went through without any warnings, delays or errors. I now wonder why the internal periodic updates are failing. I'll watch for the next few days and report.

Message 64 of 339
Sandshark
Sensei

You are not alone here, and Netgear is apparently trying to gather information to find the common demoninator.  But so long as they still require you to pay before you can even report a problem that appears to be theirs, that's likely to take a while.

Message 65 of 339
Biggels
Aspirant

I am also having a problem with 2 of my NAS at the same site. I entered a static IP address, made sure all the IP settings are correct. 

I am finally fixing the issue by running freshclam -v

Once the AV update is done, I will monitor to see if the problem was resolved. 

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 66 of 339
StephenB
Guru

@Biggels wrote:

I am finally fixing the issue by running freshclam -v

Once the AV update is done, I will monitor to see if the problem was resolved. 

Other posts here suggest that it won't be resolved.  They've found that running freshclam manually works, but the daily scheduled updates continue to fail.

I'm not seeing the problem on my own NAS, so I can't confirm this.

Message 67 of 339
Biggels
Aspirant

Is there any infromation that I can provide that will help resolve this problem? I have confirmed enough disk space, static IP address as well.

Message 68 of 339
StephenB
Guru

@Biggels wrote:

Is there any information that I can provide that will help resolve this problem? I have confirmed enough disk space, static IP address as well.

Hopefully @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V will follow up.

Message 69 of 339
kcejo
Tutor

I just checked my logs and my antivirus software started successfully updating on Aug 11.  I've gotten that update, plus another on the 13th, so I'm now on version 59.25901.

But it appears I have a different problem now.  I'm getting an error of "System: Download firmware version () failed."  I'm on firmware version 6.10.3 and when I click on "Check for Updates" I get a reply that says "Your system is currently running the latest firmware.  Your system does not need a firmware update."  Guess I'm going to have to verify that this is really the latest firmware.

Other than the weird "download firmware version failed" error, it looks like my virus update is working just fine again.  And, for what it's worth, I did not do any manual updates of the antivirus software.  Looks like Netgear got my NAS going again for that problem.  Now to just figure out if the firmware error is really a problem or just a matter of there not being a new firmware to download.

Ericka 

Message 70 of 339
StephenB
Guru

@kcejo wrote:

I'm on firmware version 6.10.3 and when I click on "Check for Updates" I get a reply that says "Your system is currently running the latest firmware.  Your system does not need a firmware update."  Guess I'm going to have to verify that this is really the latest firmware.

It is.

Message 71 of 339
kcejo
Tutor

So, if I've got the latest firmware on my system, why would an error message appear in my log?  Makes me wonder if there might be a problem when a new firmware version does need to be downloaded.  This new firmware download error started showing up in my Logs on Aug 4.  Anybody else have that error in their Logs?  I don't know if this is a completely new issue or if it's related to the anti-virus issue I was having.

Ericka

Message 72 of 339
Sandshark
Sensei

You get that in the logs periodically?  The ReadyNAS does not auto-update the OS, but it will automatically tell you if one is available and apply hotfixes, so maybe that's what it's looking for.  It's a total stab in the dark, but try toggling the update to Long Term Support, check for an update (there shouldn't be one), and then toggle back.

Note: if it does show you 6.9.6 is available, don't update to it, you should not move from 6.10.x to 6.9.x. 

Message 73 of 339
kcejo
Tutor

I've never gotten the download firmware version error in the logs before.  This is a new thing.  I toggled to Long-Term Support, checked for updates, there were none, then toggled it back.  We'll see if this does anything or not. 

What's strange is that I would never have known about that error if I hadn't checked the Logs.  It didn't send me an email about that error.  I got emails about the anti-virus download problem and other problems, but not this.

Ericka

Message 74 of 339
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@all

Has anyone able to contact Support and has a case number? If possible kindly PM it to us so we can do a follow up. Also, if anyone has the issue but has not run any commands thru SSH yet, kindly set your NAS to SDM and PM us the port code as well.

Apologies for the late response but we will make sure that we will be able to helo you out on this.

Regards

Message 75 of 339
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements