× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Antivirus scanner definition file update failed

kcejo
Tutor

Just as an update, my antivirus software has successfully updated again on the 15th and I'm now on version 59.25902.  So I have now gotten successful antivirus update notices in my Logs on Aug 11, 13 and 15. 

I have not gotten a "Download firmware version () failed" error in the Logs since the 14th.  But, before that, I had that same error on Aug 4, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14.  No error message yesterday (the 15th) or today, so far (the 16th).  Fingers crossed, let's hope that error message is gone for good.

I hadn't done any SSH commands on my NAS and sent Marc my info, as he requested above, and he worked with me to enable Netgear to use my device and troubleshoot the problem.  So I would encourage anyone else who is in a similar boat to PM Marc with the info he requested so they can continue their review and fix the problem for everyone.

Ericka

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 76 of 339
shuvam
Aspirant

I guess this offer only applies to people who have never done SSH into their devices? This means I'm excluded?

I hadn't done any SSH commands on my NAS and sent Marc my info, as he requested above, and he worked with me to enable Netgear to use my device and troubleshoot the problem.  So I would encourage anyone else who is in a similar boat to PM Marc with the info he requested so they can continue their review and fix the problem for everyone.

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 77 of 339
peterongley
Guide

Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread. It has been most interesting to see the suggested solutions to this problem.

To review, my issues started immediately after I updated to the latest firmware 6.10.3. I am convinced this update is a factor in all this. Immediately after intallation things started going crazy. My Time Machine (Mac) backups stopped working and would not recognise my passwords. For a while the RAIDar app was also struggling to find the NAS and again, for a while, I could not get access to the admin section/page on the browser. Multiple restarts/reboots eventually resolved a few of the issues. Then, for a while, I could only get my data LUN's to display on my desktop one at a time. Sometimes the NAS would completely disappear from my network. GRRR!

Then came the error messages. Firstly, the dreaded AntiVirus definitions failure to download. Then a few days later a new error message advising that my System root memory was almost maxed out. (Diagnostic test showed 92.2% full.)

I started following this thread hoping to be able to get a solution, but for me, realistically there was nothing helpful, because I have absolutely no knowledge, skill of confidence in using command level instructions or SSH etc. Although many of the responses were very clear and concise with the exact commands required, most of it was like an unfamiliar foreign language. Terms like Freshclam and crontab are a complete mystery. Did I mention that I have zero knowledge and skills of command level stuff and how to even get there? I bit the bullet and paid for a support case.

The tech's did much of what has been suggested. I downloaded my log files and opened the Secure Diagnostic Mode back door. This allowed them to see some errors. I was subsequently asked to turn Time Machine off because somehow the files that it generates had been written to the wrong place/folder?  

The two main error problems, as I had assumed, appear to have been related to each other and the bizarre behaviour of Time Machine was a part of this also.  One day later everything had been resolved. The AntiVirus definitions have neen downloading successfully for a couple of weeks now. The diagnostic test indicates zero problems with the System Root file/memory. Time Machine has also been reactivated as is again working perfectly.

So, Thanks to StephenB  who suggested this course of action. It has worked out well. I will also add that I mentioned to the tech support team several times that this issue is affecting quite a few people and I am pretty sure they have been working on this including the material Marc_V  has been sending through.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 78 of 339
peterongley
Guide

Thanks Stephen. I did as suggested and paid of a support case as you suggested. Problem solved very quickly. Cheers.

Message 79 of 339
Biggels
Aspirant

Marc, 

I have only worked with these forums, I have not contacted support officially. I have not run freshclam -v since I posted last (August 11) and I am still seeing daily AV file download error emails on my phone. 

Model: RN202|ReadyNAS202 2-Bay
Message 80 of 339
bsailer
Aspirant

Hello Marc,

pointing into the same directions as several posts in the thread above, I´ve a question concerning how to proceed.

My status is:
- I once did run freshclam from the command line via ssh (which did not change the overall situation - automatic daily updates still fail)

- I opened the diagnostic mode on 2020-07-27 (or so)

- I did _not_ open a per-issue-ticket (on the one hand I did not find where to do this, on the other I feel the issue should be solved publicy for everyone who encountered it; looks a bit like a general problem for me)

So the question is:

- Is there a chance that the support will have a look into the issue (probably even using the diagnostic mode on my device, given that I have no support ticket and logged into the device via ssh)

If not, I guess I follow the workaround proposed by Hans (entering the freshclam antivirus definition update job via crontab) and close the diagnostic mode again; I´m a bit concerned that I did not update the virus definitions for more than three weeks and cannot judge if there´s some progress on the support side.

All the best

Benjamin

Message 81 of 339
Sandshark
Sensei

Reply in this thread ReadyNAS-214-stopped-updating-antivirus indicates Netgear is still looking into it.

Message 82 of 339
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks @Sandshark

@all

We encourage you to provide us your logs and if possible do not manually update your AV definitions before downloading the logs. This is currently being checked.

Message 83 of 339
kcejo
Tutor

Further update:

My antivirus software is continuing to update successfully.  Additional updates were successful on the 16th and 17th.  I'm now on version 59.25904.

However, I see the "Download firmware version () failed" error in the Logs on the 17th and 18th.  So that error is still occurring and I am not receiving any emails to tell me that the error has occurred.  My firmware version is 6.10.3.  I asked it to check for updates and it tells me that I am running the current version. 

I know this doesn't help others who are still receiving the antivirus error, but I thought I'd let everyone know what's happening with my NAS and to look out for the firmware error.  It doesn't appear to be a problem, but you never know what else it might affect.

Ericka

Message 84 of 339
shuvam
Aspirant

Should we send PM to you with our logs, or upload them here in this discussion thread?

Message 85 of 339
StephenB
Guru

@shuvam wrote:

Should we send PM to you with our logs, or upload them here in this discussion thread?

Don't post your logs publicly.  Instead PM a download link to the full log zip file.

Message 86 of 339
RBRoberts115
Aspirant

I to am seeing the problems with the AV not updating. My problems started July 1, 2020 and was spotty at first but is now every day.  I have had this system up and running since late June 2017 and not had any problems until recently.

I have downloaded the logs and looked and I have the same "Malformed database" messages in the clamscan.log file.  I also looked at the root free space and that does nto seem to be a problem, I am at about 36% used.  I have not gotten further into any listed problems so I don't have more information.  One other piece of information, I have not enabled SSH access because of the warning that I might lose supprot if root access is enabled.  I can do that if necessary but didn't want to do so on a whim and then cause myself support issues.  So because of this, I have not manually run clamav.

I am not sure how to file, where to go to file a bug ticket for this.  So if you can give me a pointer, I'll be happy to do that.

Information:

ReadyNAS 214

Serial: 4FH9735N0032E

Firmware: 6.10.3

Last AV Update: Aug 10, 2020 06:44 AM

Thanks in advance.

Bruce Roberts, Colorado Springs.

Message 87 of 339
peterongley
Guide

Hi Bruce,

To get tech support from NETGEAR you simply go to the NETGEAR site, select the Support Tab then scroll on down the page past the link that get you to this Community site until you get the the ProSupport option. I had to purchase a one year subscription to gain access to the tech people but it was worth it to get this issue sorted.

Cheers,

Message 88 of 339
StephenB
Guru

@RBRoberts115 wrote:

One other piece of information, I have not enabled SSH access because of the warning that I might lose supprot if root access is enabled.  I can do that if necessary but didn't want to do so on a whim and then cause myself support issues.  So because of this, I have not manually run clamav.

That warning is a bit overstated.  There's a more nuanced version of it here: https://kb.netgear.com/30068/ReadyNAS-OS-6-SSH-access-support-and-configuration-guides

Support is only denied if Netgear believes that your use of ssh did damage.  And even then you can factory-reset the NAS and reload the data to completely eliminate that concern.

Message 89 of 339
Elk2709
Aspirant

Has there been any resolution to this issue?  It appears a number of users have identifed with this problem.

I'm also been having the same issue, daily emails about the "Antivirus scanner definition file update failing due to download failure.  Check your Internet Connection."  The Netgear ReadyNAS 212 has been online operating perfectly since 12/31/2018.  All firmware upgrades are applied as they become available, including the latest firmware 6.10.3..

This is not an internet connection problem.  I'm running a Netgear network, using only Netgear Routers, switches and this NAS box. There are a number of application and user functions running on this network, interacting with various targets on the internet.  None of those operations are reporting connection issues.  I have even had my provider check  us out.  They reported back everything in normal, not even any packet loss.   

Netgear, please check into this.

Run tests on your software and/or on the target site that the AV update strings are being retrieved from.

You are leaving us all exposed! 

Message 90 of 339
kcejo
Tutor

My antivirus definition files are continuing to update, but I am still getting the "Download firmware version () failed" error in the logs without getting any emails about the error.  My firmware version is 6.10.3 and when I check for updates, it tells me that I have the most current firmware, but the error in the logs is still concerning.  I wish I knew what Netgear did to resolve my antivirus definition files error to get them to update properly so that I could share it here.  Sorry I'm not able to help with that.  But I would like to stop getting the firmware version errors, especially when it appears there is no firmware update required. 

Marc, are there any further updates to these and the other issues reported here?  Is there anything you can share that was done to my machine to get the antivirus definition files to update properly again?

Ericka

Message 91 of 339
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi All,

An issue has been filed already we will update you as soon as feedback is available.

Thanks!

Message 92 of 339
Biggels
Aspirant

Hi Marc, 

Thanks for the update. Do you still require the SDM to be turned on?

Message 93 of 339
Mauser69
Tutor

Just thought I would add my experience and frustration to this thread.  My RN214 had been updating the AV perfectly for over a year, and then the first failure hit on 1/23/20, then again on 1/27 and 2/13.  Did not seem like a big deal then, as the updates were still getting done on most days.  Good regular updates virtually every single day with no errors or warnings.

No more errors after late January until 7/25/20, and then again on 8/26/20.  After that, I got two more good updates, and then starting on 9/1/20, not a single update has worked!

Just for the record, it does not seem like this problem is directly related to 6.10.3, since that version hit my RN214 on 4/16/20, and I continued to get over 3 months of good updates virtually every day after that.  Of coure, I have no ieda at all about what seems to have tottally broken this function singe Septermber 1, 2020.

Message 94 of 339
Mauser69
Tutor

Just an update to my status with this problem - my RN214 froze totally while doing a backup jsut now - after a power-cycle reboot, the AV defitition file was updated.

Message 95 of 339
Mauser69
Tutor

Well, it doesn't seem like anything is being done to resolve this problem, but I will add just one more update with my experiences.

As noted in my last post, the AV update worked again after a forced restart on my NAS.  The new information is that it only worked once before the error came back.  I had several more NAS lockups (caused by a bad eSATA drive connection, not something in the NAS), and after each forced restart, the AV updates worked either once or twice before the same error came back.  So I didn't want anyone thinking that simply restarting the NAS was any kind of a solution to this problem at all.

Message 96 of 339
StephenB
Guru

What's weird about this is that it only affects some folks.  I enabled AV on my RN202 shortly after this was reported, and I haven't had any errors updating the definitions.

Message 97 of 339
dweinshel
Tutor

I had to buy a replacement Nas. I got another readyNAS 212.

Same error occurs with both those boxes now.

I'm not surprised.

It appears these are no longer being supported by Netgear. 

Message 98 of 339
chrhei
Luminary

ReadyNAS 202, Firmware 6.10.3, 2x 1TB

Hello. I will just say again since I run a daily CRON job my issue is resolved for me. Lets call it a workaround:

- login to your NAS as root via ssh

- 'crontab -e'

- e.g. add: '0 4 * * * /usr/bin/freshclam' - this will execute freshclam daily at 4 a.m.

Model: ReadyNAS-OS6|
Message 99 of 339
HansRL
Apprentice

Focusing on the error message "freshclam[5119]: [LibClamAV] mpool_malloc(): Can't allocate memory (262144 bytes)." I did some investigation. The default SWAP-partition is 512 MB and according to several fora on the internet small.

RAM   No hibernation    With Hibernation  Maximum
      256MB            256MB               512MB    512MB 
      512MB            512MB              1024MB   1024MB
     1024MB           1024MB              2048MB   2048MB

RAM   No hibernation    With Hibernation  Maximum
        1GB              1GB                 2GB      2GB
        2GB              1GB                 3GB      4GB
        3GB              2GB                 5GB      6GB
        4GB              2GB                 6GB      8GB
        5GB              2GB                 7GB     10GB
        6GB              2GB                 8GB     12GB
        8GB              3GB                11GB     16GB

So I added a swap-file of 512 MB so the total swap-space became 1024MB and will see if CLAMAV will be updated correctly by the default update-process (the first time it did, so fingers crossed).

So if this additional SWAP-file works, maybe it is an idea to add SWAPD package to the installation and therefor is no need to add a pre-defined SWAP-file 🙂

rgds Hans

Message 100 of 339
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements