× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Antivirus scanner definition file update failed

StephenB
Guru

@HansRL wrote:

Focusing on the error message "freshclam[5119]: [LibClamAV] mpool_malloc(): Can't allocate memory (262144 bytes)." I did some investigation. The default SWAP-partition is 512 MB and according to several fora on the internet small.

So I added a swap-file of 512 MB

The memory allocation error is a clue.  But that added swap file reduces the OS partition by 512 MB (and it is also rather small).  You don't want a full OS partition either,  so you do need to be careful here.

Perhaps a better strategy is to look at the services you have running on the NAS, and disable the ones you don't actually need.  Also, if you have NFS running you could reduce the number of threads.  Similarly remove apps that aren't needed.

My own RN202 (which has never had this failure) has SMB, RSYNC, uPNP, HTTP, HTTPS, SSH, and AntiVirus services enabled.  The others are all disabled.  All Cloud servers are off.  The only app installed is Plex.

Message 101 of 339
HansRL
Apprentice

Your remark Stephan makes sense that is why I only added a SWAP-file of 512 MB, so my OS-partition is now only used for 49%.
And that is why I mentioned SWAPD-service, because according to the description this will add SWAP-space is needed and release it again when not needed anymore.

I saw the usage of the pre-defined SWAP-partition and it was used for more then 500 MB (at least the times I checked it), so almost nothing left. After I added the SWAP-file the usage of both SWAP-spaces did not exceed a total use of 550/560 MB. 

rgds Hans

Message 102 of 339
HansRL
Apprentice

I am sorry to say but adding the SWAP-file did not solve the update-issue of CLAMAV. Even with the added SWAP-file the normal update-process of CLAMAV fails and eating up all the available SWAP-space. So the small, predefined SWAP-partition was not the issue, although according to several documentation and sites it is a very small SWAP-partition.

rgds Hans

PS so still using the CRONTAB to update the CLAMAV-definitions.

So @netgear, any progress on solving this issue?

Message 103 of 339
Biggels
Aspirant

One of the units that has benn getting the virus scanner error for 2 months or more only has SMB enabled, nothing else. 

One of my units that was giving me the error message no longer gives me the error. Last error email was Sept 12th. I checked the virus file and its up to date. 

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 104 of 339
kcejo
Tutor

My machine is still updating the antivirus definitions just fine, but I am still getting the "Download firmware version () failed" error.  I've checked and I'm on the latest firmware version, so it seems like a bogus error.  But I don't get any emails telling me that this error occurred, so it make me wonder why I'm getting it and whether I will still get emails if there are any other errors. 

So, while my main problem has been fixed, I still have minor problems that currently seem to just be an annoyance.  I just hope that it doesn't lead to anything that's more than annoying.

Ericka

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 105 of 339
jimk1963
Luminary

Having same issue with RN212. Device is fully up to date but antivirus scanner isn't updating regularly and getting this error message since roughly first week in July. Additionally, this NAS has just experienced an unexplained total data loss. Working with admin to try to understand what happened. Probably unrelated but I do have 3 boxes (RN314, RN212, RN528X) and this is the only box suffering this antirivurs issue.

Message 106 of 339
HansRL
Apprentice

@netgear, any news regarding solving this issue?

Message 107 of 339
Biggels
Aspirant

I've sent multiple messages to Marc_V without any reply. Not sure if they are still scratching their heads on this. I have 13 of these units in our enterprise, and if they all start giving me the same error, not sure what action I will have to take.

Message 108 of 339
Biggels
Aspirant

I just ran a manual AV update, becasue I can't let my systems antivirus get old. While I was runing the freshclam -v update, I checked the SSH window and saw this message:

Can't query daily.25943.93.1.0.6810DB54.ping.clamav.net

Hope the devs see this. I haven't heard a peep form the devs since August 28

Message 109 of 339
wayne2101
Tutor

Is / Has there been any updates for the Antivirus Updates? Mine is still showing Aug 27 2020, 14:16:21?

In the unlikely event that something happens to the OS, shall netgear look at reimbursing any issues caused from a subsequent failur due to not having an AV?

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 110 of 339
Biggels
Aspirant

I don't think Netgear will reimburse you if you get a virus on your NAS, if they are out of warranty. I supplied the log files and opened the SDM port for @Marc_V  for almost a month, and I haven't heard anything back from either @Marc_V  or anyone else from Netgear about this. 

This problem has been ongoing for a couple of months now, and its only affecting 3 of my 11 NAS Devices in our enterprise, so far. Which is sad, becasue I do like the ReadyNAS and would hate to have to replace my NAS devices.

Message 111 of 339
RBRoberts115
Aspirant

I saw a message from chrhei (Luminary), posted to this thread 2020-09-19 at11:25 PM that contained this suggestion:

Hello. I will just say again since I run a daily CRON job my issue is resolved for me.
             Lets call it a workaround:
             - login to your NAS as root via ssh
             - 'crontab -e'
             - e.g. add: '0 4 * * * /usr/bin/freshclam' - this will execute freshclam daily at 4 a.m.

I have not yet set up the cron job to do this automatically, but I have run the 'freshclam' command manually and I have not had any AV update failures now for 48 hours.

Oct 02, 2020 08:12:40 AM        System: Antivirus scanner definition file was updated to 59.25944.
Sep 30, 2020 04:09:22 PM        System: Antivirus scanner definition file was updated to 59.25943.
Sep 30, 2020 03:55:26 PM        System: Service protocol SSH is enabled.

I have no idea what the current AV revision is, or where to even start lookign for that.  So I don't know if I am now months benind, or if when it started working again, it jumpped to the most recent (that's my hope).  But I do see it updating and the revision adI wanted to clear this and see if it would come back, and if so, how quickly.  So I'll watch for a while and set up the cron jiob when I need to.  But I will hang on to this workaround as the fix in my situation.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 112 of 339
RBRoberts115
Aspirant

@chrhei wrote:

ReadyNAS 202, Firmware 6.10.3, 2x 1TB

Hello. I will just say again since I run a daily CRON job my issue is resolved for me. Lets call it a workaround:

- login to your NAS as root via ssh

- 'crontab -e'

- e.g. add: '0 4 * * * /usr/bin/freshclam' - this will execute freshclam daily at 4 a.m.

This suggestion worked for me and got my updates running again.  At least for the past 48 hours. I have not had a problem.  We'll see how long it lasts.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 113 of 339
RDHill
Aspirant

I had precisely the same issue on a 212 that started the same day.  I finally looked on the internet for a solution.  Putting freshclam into root's crontab works for me - I'd like to see the issue fixed, but this is a fine solution.

Message 114 of 339
at4roku1
Tutor

After 3 month there`s neither a solution nor a clear communication from Netgear.This is mý second Netagear NAS and likely the last one. 

@all: Do not accept this. Start claiming each day into this threat. Netgear might need a little pusg to get things done.

Earth to Netgear: There`s a problem with your Antivirus sequence. Fix it!

Message 115 of 339
hunger
Apprentice

Same problem on a friend's two 2xx series ReadyNAS devices. This is beyond frustrating.

Message 116 of 339
HansRL
Apprentice

@Marc_V  or @ JohnCM_S or @netgear 

Is there any news regarding solving this issue, why takes it so long to respond?

rgds

Message 117 of 339
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@all

Apologies for the late update.

Seems that the issue was with clamd process wherein it eats a lot of memory getting it terminted resulting to the update failing. This is being coordinated with Clam if correct. 

We will try to provide update ASAP.

HTH

Message 118 of 339
dclagnan
Aspirant

Hi Netgear

I have had a similar problem with my NAS. The below message is being emailed to me every day.

"Antivirus scanner definition file update failed due to download failure. Check your Internet connection." I have attached my logs.  Please advise the status of this issue

Regards

Danilo

Model: RN214D42|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (4x 2TB Desktop)
Message 119 of 339
StephenB
Guru

It would be good to confirm that your NAS can reach the internet - one way to do that is to download the full log zip file.  Look in connman.log - if you see NTP time adjustments, then the NAS is reaching the internet.

Several people are seeing this (even if their NAS is connected to the internet), though I am not seeing it on my own NAS.

Message 120 of 339
dclagnan
Aspirant

Hi

Thanks, yes I opened the log and can see it does connect. This error appeared to occur after an updateSample below

Oct 22 20:35:10 NAS connmand[1990]: ntp: adjust (slew): +0.000263 sec
Oct 22 20:52:14 NAS connmand[1990]: ntp: adjust (slew): -0.000421 sec
Oct 22 21:09:18 NAS connmand[1990]: ntp: adjust (slew): +0.000597 sec
Oct 22 21:26:22 NAS connmand[1990]: ntp: adjust (slew): +0.000485 sec
Oct 22 21:43:26 NAS connmand[1990]: ntp: adjust (slew): -0.001007 sec

Model: RN214D42|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (4x 2TB Desktop)
Message 121 of 339
StephenB
Guru

Ok.  That means you are experiencing the same issue that some others are having.  It is possible to manually update the virus definitions with ssh (if you are comfortable using ssh).  Otherwise there isn't anything you can do other than wait for Netgear (or ClamAV) to fix it.

Message 122 of 339

I've been following this thread for a while because I have had this issue intermittently for several months. However, I have what may be a variation on the issue which could prove helpful to unravelling the cause/solution. I have two nearly identical RN214 on the same network with identical setups, including all network settings. One is experiencing the issue, the other is not. The only difference is that the one that is currently not updating the antivirus definitions is 4x6TB while the other is 4x3TB. They are both assigned static IP addresses, which are reserved for them in the router (a Netgear Nighthawk RAX 80) outside the range of addresses available for DHCP. For some reason, the router occasionally assigns the "problem" NAS another address by DHCP. Despite that, all other network-dependent functions (RAIDair, admin page, share access, time sync, rsync backups) appear normal. The "extra" address doesn't persist in the router. In addition, occasionally I have gotten the download to succeed by turning off AV, restarting the NAS and then re-enabling AV. That solution doesn't work every time, however.

Model: RN214D43|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (4x 3TB Desktop)
Message 123 of 339

Just an "update" to my prior post. After I made the statement that my RN214 were configured identically (other than the specific static address, of course), I looked a bit further to make sure there wasn't an app or service running on one that wasn't installed or running on the other. It turns out that there was: the "trouble" NAS was running ReadyNAS Replicate (which I don't recall having activated, and definitely never used). When I deregistered the NAS and turned off the service, the virus scanner definition updated successfully within minutes. The "good" NAS has never run any cloud services that I can detect.

Model: RN214D43|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (4x 3TB Desktop)
Message 124 of 339
Biggels
Aspirant

I have 10 ReadyNAS in our enterprise and they are all configured the same. Only one of my NAS' is having the virus update problem. I am updating daily with freshclam -v

Message 125 of 339
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements