× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Antivirus scanner definition file update failed

kcejo
Tutor

Please forgive my ignorance.  The code that you show looks somewhat like the old DOS code that I ran decades ago.  Where do you input this code?  Do you pull up a command line and put it in there?  I have been unable to find where these code lines are supposed to be typed in.  It would be a huge help if someone would start at the very beginning with how to get to where these lines of code are inputted.  I can't find where these filenames are located or where they're supposed to be downloaded to or changed.

Sorry, but it's been years since I was fluent in Assembler, COBOL, Basic, etc and everyone keeps putting solutions on here that are impossible for me to follow.  I'm about ready to just unplug the stupid NAS and plug it back in only whenever I need to access it.

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 201 of 339
TerryJColes
Luminary

@kcejo wrote:

Please forgive my ignorance.  The code that you show looks somewhat like the old DOS code that I ran decades ago.  Where do you input this code?  Do you pull up a command line and put it in there?  I have been unable to find where these code lines are supposed to be typed in.  It would be a huge help if someone would start at the very beginning with how to get to where these lines of code are inputted.  I can't find where these filenames are located or where they're supposed to be downloaded to or changed.

Sorry, but it's been years since I was fluent in Assembler, COBOL, Basic, etc and everyone keeps putting solutions on here that are impossible for me to follow.  I'm about ready to just unplug the stupid NAS and plug it back in only whenever I need to access it.

These are Linux bash commands and they have to be typed into a bash shell.  To get there you need to log in to admin with your Web Browser, then enable SSH under 'Services' on the 'Settings' Page.  You will also need a way of issuing the ssh command on your PC.  If it is Linux, it's easy because you just open a Terminal.  On a Mac, it's probably much the same, but on Windows you will probably have to install an SSH client (I'm not a Windows user).

Make a note of your admin password and the IP Address of the ReadyNAS and then in a terminal type:

ssh root@<IP Address of the ReadyNAS>

and enter the admin password when prompted.

I can't vouch for the most recent fix, but I followed the instructions detailed by several people earlier in this thread (see the series of replies ending on 2020-12-17).  It has been working ever since.

Message 202 of 339
HansRL
Apprentice

I have enabled the SSH-service in my READYNAS and used WINSCP & PUTTY  to perform the several steps I did
(steps 1;2 & 6 in PUTTY and steps 3;4 & 5 via WNSCP (SCP-session))

succes

Message 203 of 339
NormanP
Aspirant

AV updates have ran successfully for me since 13th December - hopefully ending 6 months of issues.

Very disappointing that Netgear have not contributed or commented on these issues or the fix proposed. It would be good to get their validation of the solution. I'm afraid this lack of Netgear input to what is a long standing issue with software and products they control and clearly should have the knowledge to fix only demonstrates their disregard, (even contempt), for their users and customers.

Message 204 of 339
TerryJColes
Luminary

I agree.  This issue has gone on far too long.

I will certainly think twice before buying another Netgear product.

I have been a loyal customer for many years because of their support.  Netgear should realise that people don't judge a product on how many bells and whistles it has; they need it to continue working for a reasonable liketime too.  If Netgear becomes too much like some of their competitors and neglect support, they will soon find that these Forums will cease to be useful sources of information as people become disillusioned.

Message 205 of 339
HansRL
Apprentice

question/remarks from my site Smiley Happy

Looking in the system logfile:
Jan 01 16:21:30 Geldrop clamd[13899]: clamd daemon 0.100.2 (OS: linux-gnueabi, ARCH: arm, CPU: arm)
Jan 01 18:55:01 Geldrop freshclam[17866]: Software version from DNS: 0.103.0

Is my NAS running with a mixed version of CLAMAV? the daemon with an older version (100.2) then the virus-file-updater (103.0)?
Should it not be the same , so all on version 103.0?

rgds

Message 206 of 339
RuthMarshall
Aspirant

Have you tried to turn off antivirus, and then turn it on again??? It helped me once. 

Message 207 of 339
kcejo
Tutor

Have you tried to turn off antivirus, and then turn it on again??? It helped me once.

Didn't work for me.  I turned off the antivirus, restarted the machine, waited a while, then turned the antivirus back on.  Still didn't download the new antivirus definitions.  I've also shut the whole thing down for a few weeks and it still doesn't download the definitions when I turned it back on.  Considering what it takes to fix the problem (apparently, only until the next update or less) and the vulnerability factor without updated antivirus files, I'll probably just leave it off until I need to access it and then turn it back on for a while.  Stupid, I know, but it works for me.

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 208 of 339
NormanP
Aspirant

I've had 5 weeks of successful daily updates since following the fix described in message 173 (and the instructions that were clarified by StephenB in the messages that followed).

Next milestone will be to see if the fix survives the next Netgear firmware upgrade.

Fingers crossed!

Message 209 of 339
slavrenz
Aspirant

Ugh. this started happening to me again 3 days ago (1/22 at 7:30am ET). Was working fine for several months.

Come on, Netgear...get your sh*t together...

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 210 of 339
RuthMarshall
Aspirant

If you tried to turn off and then turn on the antivirus, then the problem may be with the antivirus. My friend had a similar situation. As a result, after several weeks of fruitless waste of time on all his attempts, he decided to try installing mcafee antivirus versions. This is one of the most popular antivirus programs that gives full security solutions to its consumers and organizations. To be honest I don't remember exactly which product he installed McAfee LiveSafe or Total Protection but if you're interested in more details, I can find out.

Message 211 of 339
TerryJColes
Luminary

@RuthMarshall wrote:

To be honest I don't remember exactly which product he installed McAfee LiveSafe or Total Protection but if you're interested in more details, I can find out.

Ruth,

Are you sure about this?  The ReadyNAS is a Linux server and as far as I can tell, McAfee software only runs on Windows, MacOS, iOS or Anfroid devices.  Furthermore, even if it ran on Linux I suspect a full grahical desktop would be required and the ReadyNAS only offers a browser interface and a shell based login via SSH.

Maybe he installed McAfee on his PC?  To be honest he should be doing that anyway because it could be some time before an infected file found its way from his device to the ReadyNAS.

Message 212 of 339
slavrenz
Aspirant

Agreed. Even if this did work (and I doubt it), this is not a solution for 98% of people who have no interest or ability to SSH into their ReadyNas to install a 3rd party solution.

And it's not like McAfee's antivirus has never accidentally deleted critical system files that it thought were viruses before; I would never trust their products on one of my systems.

Message 213 of 339
Sandshark
Sensei

Netgear contacted me mistakenly thinking that my posting to this thread meant I had this issue.  So, I can at least tell you they are working on the problem.

Message 214 of 339
kcejo
Tutor

Thank you, TerryJColes, for going through the beginning steps of what you did.  I run Windows, so I would assume you would open a Command window to enter the code that needs to be entered, but I could be wrong.  Anyway, I doubt I'll be doing much of that since I remember all too well what happened when people who didn't know what they were doing in DOS would come to me for help after they tried doing something they shouldn't have.  I'd rather just unplug it and plug it back in when needed, much easier to do.

In any case, Netgear has contacted me again to get log files and to have me enable the Secure Diagnostics Mode to try and find a solution to the problem.  So, I've plugged the thing back in, hoping they'll be able to fix it for everybody.  As long as the person who contacted me through Netgear's private message system really is a ReadyNAS engineer, maybe a fix is in the works.  My ReadyNAS was accessed from China after I communicated with this engineer, so I'm hoping there are Netgear engineers in China....  The last Netgear person who contacted me like this fixed the problem for us for a while, but he had posted in this thread before.  We'll see.  I'm happy to hear that another person was contacted by Netgear about it.  Aaand I just now got the antivirus error again today.  I hate that my machine is unprotected while they may or may not be working on it.

Message 215 of 339
TerryJColes
Luminary

@kcejo 

It wasn't actually me that detailed the steps; that honour goes to @NormanP and @StephenB.

You cannot use a Windows command line (not directly anyway) to enter the commands.  These have to be entered into the Linux shell on the ReadyNAS.  The only way to do that is to enable SSH in the Administrator pages and then log in to the ReadyNAS as root.  On a Linux machine the command (in a terminal) would be:

ssh root@<IP Address of the ReadyNAS>

You will be prompted for a password; use the one you set for the Administrator.

On Windows or Mac there are SSH clients, which should allow you to do the above, but they tend to be a graphical tools with fields to enter the key parameters, such as IP Address, username and password.  I don't use one so I can't help you there.

I too was contacted by Netgear, but since I have used the manual fix, my logfiles are probably of no use to them.  I'm glad that you've agreed to help?  (If anyone else on here is asked; please say yes.)

Message 216 of 339
kcejo
Tutor

I've already done everything the engineer requested - sent him my log files, enabled the Secure Diagnostic Mode and provided the port #, so now it's just a matter of waiting for a fix.  I think they like looking at my machine since I haven't done anything to try and fix the problem.  But the downside, of course, is that my machine is now on and without antivirus protection while I wait.  Hopefully it won't be much longer.

Message 217 of 339
TerryJColes
Luminary

@kcejo 

Sorry.  I cheated and edited my post when I realised that I hadn't read your post properly.  I hoped you hadn't got round to reading it but you caught me out.  Man Embarassed

Message 218 of 339
kcejo
Tutor

Yeah, I can be quick when I'm doing other things on my computer Smiley Wink 

Message 219 of 339
kcejo
Tutor

Interesting...  I just now got a second antivirus error message today.  Maybe there are some Netgear engineers working on the problem.  I've never gotten 2 error messages in one day.

Message 220 of 339
kcejo
Tutor

Hey, my ReadyNAS has automatically updated the antivirus software daily since late on the 26th!  Looks like the Netgear engineers have fixed the problem for me.  Hopefully, it has been fixed for others, too 🙂

Message 221 of 339
HansRL
Apprentice

Unfortunately after an unexpected powerdown, this issue reoccurs again. So overall it is not solved yet by netgear.
I executed my steps which I thought did solve my issue, and I hope it will do it again although it seems to resolve it until my powerdown...
@netgear,  I hope you will find the real solution for this issue

Message 222 of 339
Matteo73
Aspirant

Hi, after a few months of attemps, the problem is still the same.

I've rebooted the Nas a lot of time, all works properly but after a couple of day the same problems becomes:

Antivirus scanner definition file update failed due to download failure. Check your Internet connection!!

I've reinstalled OS, I've made a factory reset (copiyng all my data outside) and reconfigured the system, but none of these processes

solved the problem.

Any idea about new fw update? Before 6.10.3 any problem occurred with antivirus.

Now I've installed the latest 6.10.4 without any change about this issue.

Thanks

Matteo

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204 4-Bay
Message 223 of 339
HansRL
Apprentice

Netgear, Justin (@dingjs1421), came back to me and told me they have a solution for this issue..... Netgear did an adjustment to my virusscan-software via "secure diagnostic modus" and I have asked what they did:
                 the service:freshclam is used to download AV pattern db , after succeeded to download it tries to load all db files 

(several houndreds MB) into memory to test. Due to limited memory resources on ReadyNAS RN21x,

it might run into the issue: can't allocate enough memory to test DB.

So we just disable the option: TestDatabases for freshclam. Thanks Justin

So I looked what was changed and found out it was file freshclam.conv ; file is located in etc/clamav;

This is my freshclam now:
    DatabaseOwner root
    LogSyslog true
    LogFacility LOG_LOCAL6
    Debug false
    MaxAttempts 5
    DatabaseDirectory /var/lib/clamav
    DNSDatabaseInfo current.cvd.clamav.net
    ConnectTimeout 120
    ReceiveTimeout 120
   TestDatabases false
   ScriptedUpdates true
   CompressLocalDatabase false
   Bytecode true
   NotifyClamd /etc/clamav/clamd.conf
   OnErrorExecute /usr/bin/clamav_event -s 1
   OnUpdateExecute /usr/bin/clamav_event -s 0
   Checks 2
   DatabaseMirror database.clamav.net
   DatabaseMirror db.cn.clamav.net
   DatabaseMirror db.tw.clamav.net

The first normal update did work, will keep checking the next couple of days...

rgds Hans

Message 224 of 339
HansRL
Apprentice

oeps a type-o.... freshclam.conv

must be

freshclam.conf

Message 225 of 339
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements