× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Antivirus scanner definition file update failed

scrjs
Apprentice

@tewatson60 wrote:

AV updates failing again - two days straight now. Firmware v6.10.4 Hotfix 1 was applied last month and seemed to work for a while. This is becoming tedious.

Tom

@tewatson60 

I rebooted my ReadyNAS with Hotfix 1 applied and did see one instance where AV Updates where not being applied.

I logged into my ReadyNAS via a command prompt with command SSH root@root@xxxxxReadyNAS (use your admin password when promted) and found after checking the freshclam service using the command below in bold and that it had failed with an error similar to

root@xxxxxReadyNAS:~# systemctl status clamav-freshclam.service
● clamav-freshclam.service - ClamAV virus database updater
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/clamav-freshclam.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Day 2021-mm-yy hh:mm:ss AEDT; xxh ago
  Process: 4507 ExecStart=/usr/bin/freshclam --quiet (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 4507 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

I then issued the command 

root@xxxxxReadyNAS:~# systemctl start clamav-freshclam.service

and the freshclam service started successfully and has been running without issue.   If you check the status again you will see something like

root@xxxxxReadyNAS:~# systemctl status clamav-freshclam.service
● clamav-freshclam.service - ClamAV virus database updater
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/clamav-freshclam.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: inactive (dead) since Wed 2021-03-10 08:33:47 AEDT; 20h ago
  Process: 6711 ExecStart=/usr/bin/freshclam --quiet (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 6711 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Mar 10 08:33:11 xxxxxReadyNAS systemd[1]: Starting ClamAV virus database updater...
Mar 10 08:33:12 xxxxxReadyNAS freshclam[6711]: ClamAV update process started at Wed Mar 10 08:33:12 2021
Mar 10 08:33:12 xxxxxReadyNAS freshclam[6711]: main.cld is up to date (version: 59, sigs: 4564902, f-level: 60, builder: sigmgr)
Mar 10 08:33:19 xxxxxReadyNAS freshclam[6711]: Downloading daily-26103.cdiff [100%]
Mar 10 08:33:25 xxxxxReadyNAS freshclam[6711]: daily.cld updated (version: 26103, sigs: 3958648, f-level: 63, builder: raynman)
Mar 10 08:33:31 xxxxxReadyNAS freshclam[6711]: Can't query daily.26103.93.1.0.6810DA54.ping.clamav.net
Mar 10 08:33:32 xxxxxReadyNAS freshclam[6711]: bytecode.cld is up to date (version: 333, sigs: 92, f-level: 63, builder: awillia2)
Mar 10 08:33:46 xxxxxReadyNAS freshclam[6711]: Database updated (8523642 signatures) from database.clamav.net (IP: 104.16.218.84)
Mar 10 08:33:46 xxxxxReadyNAS freshclam[6711]: Clamd successfully notified about the update.
Mar 10 08:33:47 xxxxxReadyNAS systemd[1]: Started ClamAV virus database updater.

My guess it may be failing for reasons unknown after a reboot and then without rebooting your NAS you start the Freshclam service it will continue to run.

My ReadyNAS has been running since the last reboot on Mar 5 without missing an AV Update

Message 251 of 339
tewatson60
Tutor

Thx for the insight. My concern is whether simply rebooting the device requires some sort of manual clam freshening intervention every time, which is kind of unacceptable.

Tom

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 252 of 339
scrjs
Apprentice

@tewatson60 wrote:

Thx for the insight. My concern is whether simply rebooting the device requires some sort of manual clam freshening intervention every time, which is kind of unacceptable.

Tom

Yes I suspect so

@B_L & @dingjs1421 - Your thoughts would be appreciated?

Message 253 of 339
tewatson60
Tutor

Netgear advised me (through PM) they identified the problem and will fix it in the next firmware release. 

Tom

Message 254 of 339
B_L
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @scrjs ,

I found the root cause of the issue that @tewatson60 reported. The hotfix 1 stopped working if you configure any system services (for example, enable/disable NFS), or update share settings. I am working with engineering team to have it fixed asap.

You can enable the SDM and send the port number to me via a private message. I can apply a temporary fix for you.

Message 255 of 339
scrjs
Apprentice

@B_L wrote:

Hi @scrjs ,

I found the root cause of the issue that @tewatson60 reported. The hotfix 1 stopped working if you configure any system services (for example, enable/disable NFS), or update share settings. I am working with engineering team to have it fixed asap.

You can enable the SDM and send the port number to me via a private message. I can apply a temporary fix for you.

Thanks @B_L 

Thats good news!  Shame Hotfix 1 wasn't the end of this story.

Thank you for your kind offer of a temp fix,

I don't reboot my ReadyNAS often nor make changes like enable/disable NFS, or update share settings so I am happy to simply re-start freshclam via 

root@xxxxxReadyNAS:~# systemctl start clamav-freshclam.service

manually in the interim till the hotfix 2 is available (I am guessing that is what your temp fix is doing).

Please keep us in the loop when you have an ETA...

Message 256 of 339
StephenB
Guru

@tewatson60 wrote:

My concern is whether simply rebooting the device requires some sort of manual clam freshening intervention every time, which is kind of unacceptable.

rebooting will start the service the same way @scrjs did, so I think not.  So one workaround is to just reboot the NAS when you see this (or maybe just reboot the NAS daily or weekly by putting it on a power schedule).

It is possible to change the service config to automatically restart on failure.  There's an example here: https://ma.ttias.be/auto-restart-crashed-service-systemd/ That change might not survive firmware updates or OS reinstalls, so you would need to check it occasionally and (if needed) reapply it.

Message 257 of 339
HansRL
Apprentice

@  B_L NETGEAR Moderator  NETGEAR Moderator

any news regarding the new fix? Although it is still running fine, I am very interested when this bug is fixed

rgds Hans

Message 258 of 339
jimk1963
Luminary

RN528X and RN212 with hotfix1 will not update AV file past Jan 25 2021 even with full reboot, while RN314 happily updates to latest AV version. Not interested in SSH solutions, this should just work, at least after a reboot. 

Message 259 of 339
Jetlag1
Guide

I sent you a PM, no reply yet.

After several reboots and switching AV on and off still not able to get AV Defs

running 6.10.4 Hotfix 1

ReadyNAS 526X

Model: RN526X|ReadyNAS 526X – 6 Bays with up to 60TB total storage
Message 260 of 339
tewatson60
Tutor

AV updates broken again, for over a week now. Really don't understand why this is still unresolved after so long. Is ANYONE at Netgear working on it?

Tom

Running 6.10.4 Hotfix 1

Message 261 of 339
B_L
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

We released 6.10.5 Beta 1 today. This issue was fixed in Beta 1 release.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Antivirus-scanner-definition-file-u...

Message 262 of 339
HansRL
Apprentice

@JohnCM_S& @B_L 

B_L  NETGEAR Moderator & JohnCM_S,
looking in the LOG-file I see CLAMAV is outdated, still version 0.100.2 in stead of 0.103.2. Any reason behind this, why is CLAMAV not updated to a newer or even the newest version?

Apr 17 14:51:19 Geldrop freshclam[3250]: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
Apr 17 14:51:19 Geldrop freshclam[3250]: Local version: 0.100.2 Recommended version: 0.103.2
Apr 17 14:51:19 Geldrop freshclam[3250]: DON'T PANIC! Read https://www.clamav.net/documents/upgrading-clamav

rgds

Message 263 of 339
Jetlag1
Guide

So, who's defs are the most out-of-date? I think I might be a contender.

526X-Defs-sm.jpg

Model: RN526X|ReadyNAS 526X – 6 Bays with up to 60TB total storage
Message 264 of 339
StephenB
Guru

@Jetlag1 wrote:

So, who's defs are the most out-of-date? I think I might be a contender.

Maybe try installing the 6.10.5 beta.

Message 265 of 339
Jetlag1
Guide

I'n not a big fan of beta FW, had one destroy a router last year.

Will wait for the release.

Message 266 of 339
jimk1963
Luminary

Read the 6.10.5 Beta release notes, didn't see anything specific about correcting this antivirus bug. Just one comment about security fixes which was vague.

As of today, on 3 different ReadyNAS boxes, all with 6.10.4 Hotfix 1, the AV sits at:

RN212:  Sept 24, 2020

RN314:  April 17, 2021  (appears to be working fine)

RN528X: Jan 25, 2021

With all 3 running the same OS version, one box works, the other two don't. One interesting possibility - for unknown reasons, the RN314 OS became corrupt a few weeks back. A USB recovery stick was created to reinstall the OS, which brought back the entire volume without loss. I wonder... did that "clean OS install" perhaps clean up some lingering AV bug? Maybe there's an issue propagating along OS updates that doesn't get fixed unless a clean wipe of the OS is implemented. Just a thought. 

Message 267 of 339
StephenB
Guru

@jimk1963 wrote:

Read the 6.10.5 Beta release notes, didn't see anything specific about correcting this antivirus bug.

Maybe not on the RN528x, but but the announcement post does claim to have a fix for the RN212 https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta/ReadyNASOS-6-10-5-Beta/m-p/2085347

Bug Fixes
This firmware addresses the following bugs:
ClamAV fails to update database on ARM platform.

Message 268 of 339
jimk1963
Luminary

Good catch. Still, since 2 of 3 boxes are Intel based, may be better to wait for formal release. Currently one Intel unit is fine (RN314, with fresh OS reinstall), and one has the AV issue (RN528X). Any opinion whether fresh OS install may be of interest re: this bug?

Message 269 of 339
swehjo
Guide

Have had this issue from time to time but since March it's persistent... Rebooting every night. Tried to upload a screen shot but it didn't work, so:

• Model ReadyNAS 424
  • Antivirus: Mar 10, 2021 13:08:51
  • Firmware: 6.10.4 Hotfix 1

Error message is "System: Antivirus scanner definition file update failed due to download failure. Check your Internet connection."

Capture.JPG

Message 270 of 339
Jetlag1
Guide

I just downloaded and installed FW 6.10.5 and rebooted.

15 minutes later I get this email: "Antivirus scanner definition file update failed due to download failure. Check your Internet connection."

JFC! Seriously? It was suposed to fix this issue.

526X-fw6.10.5.jpg

Message 271 of 339
jimk1963
Luminary

@Jetlag1 wrote:

I just downloaded and installed FW 6.10.5 and rebooted.

15 minutes later I get this email: "Antivirus scanner definition file update failed due to download failure. Check your Internet connection."

JFC! Seriously? It was suposed to fix this issue.

526X-fw6.10.5.jpg

Same here, updated RN212 to 6.10.5 Beta and AV is stuck on September 24, 2020... it's been about 12 hours now, no change.

Message 272 of 339
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi All,

Would like to get your logs be sent via PM pls. so we can check.

This should have been resolved by the latest FW. Anyone contacted support?

Message 273 of 339
leftcoastmark
Aspirant

No change for me either, running release version of 6.10.5.  ReadyNas 2304.NAS1.JPG

The release notes say it fixes the Antivirus Update bug on ARM machines, but I believe the 2304 is an x86 machine, no?

I've tried rebooting (including a cold boot), and disabling Antivirus then re-enabling.   It's been a few days now and I get a failure in the logs each day. - the usual "check your internet" message that everyone here seems to get.

Model: ReadyNAS-OS6|
Message 274 of 339
StephenB
Guru

@leftcoastmark wrote:

I believe the 2304 is an x86 machine...

Correct.

Message 275 of 339
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements