× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Any early adopters of Squeezebox server 7.6.0?

Pettax
Aspirant

Any early adopters of Squeezebox server 7.6.0?

Having a history of upgrading my squeezebox server on ReadyNas Duo just a bit to early I was wondering if anybody here has tried installing SBS 7.6.0 on a ReadyNas Duo yet? What's your experience?
Message 1 of 9
sphardy1
Apprentice

Re: Any early adopters of Squeezebox server 7.6.0?

Installed it on an NV+ (4 bay NAS, but otherwise pretty much identical to the Duo) some months ago and not had a single issue. Performance is better also
Message 2 of 9
Pettax
Aspirant

Sounds promising! Did you remove the earlier installation first or cleaned any DB or similar? I remember having to do this between some other versions in the past.
Message 3 of 9
sphardy1
Apprentice

I did a full clean install - so removed all the previous version, cleaning the database etc. When you download SBS from the Logitech site, read the page that appears which gives you links to the instructions of how to do this
Message 4 of 9
markearly
Aspirant

Having problems with v7.60 on my NV+ (Raidiator v4.1.7 (latest firmware ?). Did a clean install per published instructions as I've done when installing previous versions successfully. Install of SBS seemed to go fine, however having problems re-scanning my music library of 16,000 mp3s. Initially used the built-in not the "experimental" music scanner.... with no luck. Scanner crashed after 4hrs first time. Looked at the log files and removed a couple suspect mp3s it said were a problem. Rebooted and SBS initiated a rescan itself. After 16 hours overnight it hung on the second phase of the scan "new files" at approximately 13,200 files into the stated 16,545 file task.

I have enabled the "experimental scanner", rebooted the NAS and found that SBS again relaunched a music scan. Will report back how that goes...

RedGreen -- "I'm pull'in for ya, we're all in this together"
Message 5 of 9
markearly
Aspirant

No luck so far with SBS v7.6.0

My music library rescan using the "experimental" version of the music scanner hung at about the same place in the second phase of the music scan; at 13,225 out of 16,545 "new songs". Scanner log only shows it entered the second phase but does not indicate (to me anyway) what specifically it had a problem with.

More precisely the symptom I am seeing is; the music library "scan time" counter keeps incrementing to show the passing of more seconds (6 hrs+) as thought the scan task is still active, but the count of songs scanned never increments. It stays stuck on 13,225 songs out of 16,545 total. Strange.

I will run the Clean_SqueezeCenter_DB_1.0.bin update again to clear the SBS database and let the "experimental" version of the music library scanner try from a fresh start. If that fails I may have to downgrade back to SBS v7.5.4.... dang.

Any suggestions appreciated.

*** UPDATE ***

Experimental version of SBS scanner failed in the same manner as prior attempts. Researched this issue on Squeezebox website and found many upset SBS v7.6 users on the ReadyNAS, windoze and mac platforms, much moaning and gnashing of teeth. Many users returned to v7.5x and problems, in the main, went away (some exceptions of course). General consensus seemed to be; new SQLite database in v7.6 was not the smooth replacement for the v7.5x MySQL database engine developers had hoped and was blamed for scanning "issues".

I myself found links to download a newish v7.56-beta which has worked fine for me as a downgrade from v7.6 ... so far and might be somewhat better than my original v7.54. The scan completed for the first time in several days of prior failed attempts when using v7.6. So v7.56-beta has been a success for me. Was able to once again see and play my music. Our two older SB players loaded the v7.56 firmware (downgraded from v7.6) and worked OK. Our SB-duet receiver downloaded the firmware... I think, though the duet controller did not. It still shows the v7.6 interface. Will have to test this condition. Some users report problems with v7.55 which v7.56 is purported to address. Nightly builds of v7.61 are also available for the adventurous.

There is a possibility some of my problems with v7.6 scanning stem from files in my iTunes Music "Podcasts" folder. It is amazing how horribly polluted with special characters the file and folder names are in iTunes Podcasts. "@, #, !" ... etc" and all manner of potentially problematic characters... ugh. I cleaned these up as best as possible, though I have yet to test the effect on my iTunes client.
Message 6 of 9
dudeeg
Aspirant

as we describe it here, we have a bit different kind of problem with 7.6.0:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=55390
Message 7 of 9
rolski
Aspirant

Message 8 of 9
Shardstrat
Aspirant

Re: No luck so far with SBS v7.6.0

markearly wrote:
My music library rescan using the "experimental" version of the music scanner hung at about the same place in the second phase of the music scan; at 13,225 out of 16,545 "new songs". Scanner log only shows it entered the second phase but does not indicate (to me anyway) what specifically it had a problem with.

More precisely the symptom I am seeing is; the music library "scan time" counter keeps incrementing to show the passing of more seconds (6 hrs+) as thought the scan task is still active, but the count of songs scanned never increments. It stays stuck on 13,225 songs out of 16,545 total. [...]

I've been having an extremely similar problem: Squeezebox Server scan hangs with version 7.60 and 7.6.1. So far I've tried 8 different versions of SBS 7.6.1. See my post on the Logitech forum here http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=651015#post651013 ("Testing 7.6.1~33110-sparc-readynas: Scan hangs" by "Lestrad").
At this point it's looking like the scan is hanging due to a permissions problem. Windows sees the music share folder on the NAS as owned by "itself" and having no permissions. When I try to assign permissions from my Windows computer, or take ownership, the changes don't stick. Yet I'm able to assign Full Control to "Everyone", and that sticks. But it looks as though the SBS scan is hanging on a folder with the permissions I described (see the image attached to my post linked above).

I've gone into the ReadyNAS Frontview interface and made sure read/write permissions are enabled, but I still can't change the permissions from Windows, and I think there's a good chance that might be the problem - even though the Squeezebox scanner debug log doesn't say anything about an access problem.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements