× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Anyone got 6.2 on their legacy RN yet?

dannieboiz
Aspirant

Anyone got 6.2 on their legacy RN yet?

Didn't see any post on this topic, do you install 6.1 from the other thread then just upgrade from frontview?
Message 1 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Anyone got 6.2 on their legacy RN yet?

Yes, they do. See http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=161&t=77780

You could install the 6.1.x image from the other thread then after the necessary factory default (either triggered as a result of installing the Prep add-on before the firmware update or manually via the boot menu) use the Dashboard to upgrade to 6.2.0.

If you prefer you could use this one to go direct to 6.2.0 beta.
Message 2 of 27
dannieboiz
Aspirant

Cool thanks! Gotta try this out next week after I get all my files moved out. Hopefully it fixes all my issues that I have with 4.2
Message 3 of 27
btaroli
Prodigy

I wonder if Netgear has any plans to officially catch up 4.2.x boxes to a 6.x release. Seems a weird fork that happened with Intel based hardware... and clearly it is both possible and desirable to do this, or we wouldn't see so many in the community continuing to try and make it happen...
Message 4 of 27
dannieboiz
Aspirant

It boils down to money. Most enterprise won't want to mess with a hack job but rather get one that work. If you want the latest and greatest features you have to upgrade your hardware mentality.

If they keep on making the old better, who's gonna wanna buy new hardware? LOL
Message 5 of 27
Marto731
Aspirant

Catch up 4.2.x boxes to a OS6.x

Btaroli
***I wonder if Netgear has any plans to officially catch up 4.2.x boxes to a 6.x release.***
No, Netgear is in business to make money, and want you to buy an OS6 unit, rather than modify an OS4.
Services like Replicate would not work on a converted NAS. Tech support is denied.

Regards, Marto
Message 6 of 27
dannieboiz
Aspirant

Re: Catch up 4.2.x boxes to a OS6.x

Marto73 wrote:
Btaroli
***I wonder if Netgear has any plans to officially catch up 4.2.x boxes to a 6.x release.***
No, Netgear is in business to make money, and want you to buy an OS6 unit, rather than modify an OS4.
Services like Replicate would not work on a converted NAS. Tech support is denied.

Regards, Marto

I think you just said what I said in a different way. :rofl:

If I may add, maybe that's why Synology got so popular so fast and even their legacy devices hold value like crazy.
Message 7 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Catch up 4.2.x boxes to a OS6.x

I hear Synology drop support for old models as well, despite some of them being much more powerful than many supported models and clearly powerful enough to run it.

Not sure how long the competition does bug fix and security updates, but the latest Sparc releases still run on the first ReadyNAS units we shipped. So the upcoming 4.1.14 firmware update (bug fix and security updates) will run on devices from 2004.

The ReadyNAS Pro, the first 4.2.x device released in 2008 will still get the 4.2.27 update etc. 4.2.27 does include an update from samba 3.5.x to 3.6.x
Message 8 of 27
dannieboiz
Aspirant

I have a dj212j that's still getting update. 🙂
Message 9 of 27
CharlesR
Guide

I'm not sure it would be a winning case but you could make a case that supporting the new OS on old(er) hardware might actually increase sells. How? By increasing the resell value of the older devices more people would be willing to upgrade as the upgrade cost would be less. That's more related to the consumer market and as far as corporate having the ability to use the same OS on new acquisitions as their existing devices has to be considered an asset.

Since they were forced to move to an new OS how many corporations took a fresh look at the market versus simply purchasing the newer model. If they could upgrade their existing devices to the new OS it could sneak in via the back door and not have the "fear" factor of starting over with a new OS. Which again I'm sure caused them to take a fresh look at the market.

Much like corporations supporting multiple versions of Windows. In most cases they will do whatever they can to avoid it and if forced to upgrade you are opening up a can worms and you better hope you can once again come out ahead.
Message 10 of 27
dannieboiz
Aspirant

CharlesR wrote:
I'm not sure it would be a winning case but you could make a case that supporting the new OS on old(er) hardware might actually increase sells. How? By increasing the resell value of the older devices more people would be willing to upgrade as the upgrade cost would be less. That's more related to the consumer market and as far as corporate having the ability to use the same OS on new acquisitions as their existing devices has to be considered an asset.

Since they were forced to move to an new OS how many corporations took a fresh look at the market versus simply purchasing the newer model. If they could upgrade their existing devices to the new OS it could sneak in via the back door and not have the "fear" factor of starting over with a new OS. Which again I'm sure caused them to take a fresh look at the market.

Much like corporations supporting multiple versions of Windows. In most cases they will do whatever they can to avoid it and if forced to upgrade you are opening up a can worms and you better hope you can once again come out ahead.

At this point, it really doesn't matter if NG will officially support OS6 on legacy RN as long as there's a way. We were just having a discussion.

Out of all fairness to NG, I also want to point out that as MDGM mentioned, Synology also discontinue updating older products and I've confirmed it. Just so that if anyone lurking the forum to decide, this thread does not give them false info and go buy a Synology. But I do have to say that NG interface isn't trouble free as Synology. 🙂 It's more for geek vs DSM is very simplified.
Message 11 of 27
CharlesR
Guide

dannieboiz wrote:
At this point, it really doesn't matter if NG will officially support OS6 on legacy RN as long as there's a way.

I disagree. Corporate isn't going to use OS 6 because "there's a way" Even most of the consumer market is going to stay away. I have sold quite a few of the older units and in virtually every case I had to uninstall OS 6 and install OS 4 per their request... they wouldn't purchase it other wise.

Personally, I have zero issue with them dropping the older hardware and I'm sure there is some logic behind it. Interface wise OS 6 is light years ahead however at times it's too cute for its own good. At times I end up clicking my mouse over an image and hoping an option or two will pop up!
Message 12 of 27
dannieboiz
Aspirant

CharlesR wrote:
dannieboiz wrote:
At this point, it really doesn't matter if NG will officially support OS6 on legacy RN as long as there's a way.

I disagree. Corporate isn't going to use OS 6 because "there's a way" Even most of the consumer market is going to stay away. I have sold quite a few of the older units and in virtually every case I had to uninstall OS 6 and install OS 4 per their request... they wouldn't purchase it other wise.

Personally, I have zero issue with them dropping the older hardware and I'm sure there is some logic behind it. Interface wise OS 6 is light years ahead however at times it's too cute for its own good. At times I end up clicking my mouse over an image and hoping an option or two will pop up!

There are two folds to this. For myself, it is a PITA to have to jump through hoops to get things running but at the end of the day, I purchased my 4200 at an extremely good price so the little effort to bring it up to speed is ok. But when I spec out new product for my work, I look for one that works just out of the box. Last run, we installed RN dou v2 at 60 sites. We're getting to replace them all and no one said anything about NG but instead they're looking at Synology and QNAP. I haven't used a QNAP before but I'm pushing for Synology because a simple thing as joining the NAS to the domain requires a "Business Class" RN while any Synology can be joined to a domain. That's already a winning factor especially when we refresh hardware everything 3-4 years. We're actually replacing the NG early, at only 2.5 years because of the failure rates on these things. Nothing major but every few weeks, we find ourselves fixing something at least one of the RN.
Message 13 of 27
CharlesR
Guide

dannieboiz wrote:
We're getting to replace them all and no one said anything about NG but instead they're looking at Synology and QNAP.

I know next to nothing about the corporate environment and we couldn't be much more off topic... but I think this goes back a couple of generations. They were dormant far too long and let others bring to the table an interface (and or features) that surpassed them. And corporate wise it's not something that changes overnight... it took a relatively long time to become the prevailing view and it would take time to change regardless of it being valid or not for any specific generation.

I see the same thing on the consumer side. As an example at AVSForum mention NAS and a certain vendor's name is used almost in the way TiVo is. It virtually defines the category. It doesn't matter that on the low end models ReadyNAS (pretty much) out performs them and costs significantly less or the fact what makes it so much better than ReadyNAS are features you'll never use on models that you'll never purchase.

To a large degree it comes down to preconception. Certainly not in all cases but it creates a trend and one that's hard to buck.
Message 14 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Any of our current models can be joined to a domain. Still it is important especially for large purchases to make sure you are buying the right product for what you need.

Models such as Duo v2, 102 and similar models from other vendors come with ARM CPUs and low amounts of RAM. This may be fine, but you do need to evaluate whether it will handle the load you will put on it.

The 312 with its Intel CPU and 2GB RAM can handle a higher load.
Message 15 of 27
dannieboiz
Aspirant

FYI: I updated the 4200 to 6.1 then 6.2 w/o a problem. All 7 of my drives shows up with full capacity vs on 4.2 I was missing 1Tb.

4.2 didn't recognize my Cyberpower UPS but now it does.

So far, 6.2 is addressing all of my previous issues with 4.2 as well as 6.1
Message 16 of 27
KillerBob
Aspirant

I am about finished running a complete (cold) backup of my Pro Pioneer, and will be installing 6.2 beta when done. I'll of course be upgrading to 6.2 immediately following that. It will be like getting a new NAS:)

As I understand it there may be an issue with spin-down and fan speeds. Are these issues still present, and are there any other biggies?
Message 17 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

spin down and fan speeds should be fine.
Message 18 of 27
grimloch
Aspirant

Fan speeds seem to finally be working well on both of my Readynas Pros running 6.2. On 6.1.9 the fan wouldn't really kick in until they got to about 85°C.

Both have been upgraded to an Intel E6600 (the cooler version), btw.

Upgraded forked-daapd (iTunes server) that no longer crashes xbmc is also a welcomed edition:)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Message 19 of 27
sgirard
Aspirant

How long this updating should take if you already had the pro at 6.1.9? The reason that I am asking is because I updated via front view and my unit stuck in Booting... Updating firmware for last 30 min or so?
Message 20 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It shouldn't take that long. Perhaps try a reboot
Message 21 of 27
grimloch
Aspirant

I downloaded the 6.2 firmware and updated both boxes manually. They both took about 5 minutes each, 10 at the very most.

I was surprised how quickly they updated.. perhaps due in part to the upgraded processors, but I can't imagine it ever taking 30 minutes even on the stock processor.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Message 22 of 27
uffgnu14
Luminary

ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Plus.

Just got from OS 6.2.0 to Beta 6.2.1_RC2.

I'm not using my Ultra that much and do not notice any real difference.

I'm still worried about the high CPU temperature.
Nearly always upon start and not under load the CPU-temp is rising up to 70C while the fan speed is constant at low 780rpm.
Anyone noticed this?
See my initial post about this and other findings: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=160&t=78853
Message 23 of 27
rafal98
Aspirant

I successfully install 6.2 on a ReadyNas Ultra 2, and it is far better than 4.2.27. It's a debian 7 instead of oldish debian 4, it make a big difference. For example g++ is 4.9 instead of 4.1 !!

Just a remark: Fan seems to be a bit loud during a certain amount of time (1400 RPM) then it decrease slowly to about 700 RPM.
And now one question: Is my Ultra 2 can detect update and install it without issue ? I mean, is the official update should work, or do I need a special hacked version to upgrade ?

Thanks a lot 😄
Message 24 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Now that you are running OS6 you can use the standard x86_64 builds. When a production update is made available you will even be prompted to update when opening the Dashboard.
Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements