× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Archive bit backup incomplete

uniwow
Aspirant

Archive bit backup incomplete

I'm trying to backup approximately 900 GB of files from a Windows 2008 Server to my ReadyNAS 102 using the Archive Bit. The credentials I've used on the ReadyNAS for the backup are correct and verified.
Every time I run the backup, it gets a small number of files, then quits- it quits at the same spot every time.

In the FAQ, I read one of the requirements for an archive bit backup is:

That ReadyNAS is the sole backup solution using the Archive bit method for the source location. Failure to meet this requirement will lead to incomplete backups for one or both backup systems.

Which sounds like the issue I'm experiencing, however the ReadyNAS is the only backup solution I'm using. How can I fix this so it does a complete backup?
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Archive bit backup incomplete

I am thinking that it might be running into a file that won't copy.

Can you try moving files to a temporary folder (off the backup path), and then try to slowly move them back?

Or maybe try copying the files on a different windows machine using robocopy (and the same credentials)?

You could also try setting the archive bit on all the files in the folder.
Message 2 of 4
uniwow
Aspirant

Thank you for your suggestions. I tried setting the archive bit on all files/folders, but it would not backup past that certain folder.

I created a new share on the NAS and manually copied the folders, which worked. I then wiped the files and tried the backup- it still quit in the same spot.
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

What happens if you move that folder out of the share?
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements