× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Are ReadyNAS RND4000V3 drives compatible with a newer Netgear storage system?

dmadison
Follower

Are ReadyNAS RND4000V3 drives compatible with a newer Netgear storage system?

I own a ReadyNAS RND4000V3 which failed to power-on about 6 years ago, and because of the urgency, I started using an Apple Time Capsule instead. It smells like something burned, presumably a power supply failure.

3 1TB drives, configured as RAID5, providing 2TB of storage -- as best I recall.

The ReadyNAS stored a considerable amount of data, mostly music files, which are not being backed up onto the Time Capsule.

Now that I've retired, and have time to mess with this, I'd like to recover those music files if possible.

I won't attempt to replace the ReadyNAS power supply, if it's possible to insert those 3 drives into a new diskless Netgear storage system without reformatting them.

Is that possible?

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Are ReadyNAS RND4000V3 drives compatible with a newer Netgear storage system?

@dmadison wrote:

I won't attempt to replace the ReadyNAS power supply, if it's possible to insert those 3 drives into a new diskless Netgear storage system without reformatting them.

Is that possible?

Unfortunately its not. 

One option is to connect the disks to a Windows PC and use RAID recovery software to access the data.  For instance R-studio ( https://www.r-studio.com/ )

Or you can replace the supply.   You do need to adjust the pinout a bit if you use a stock supply.

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Are ReadyNAS RND4000V3 drives compatible with a newer Netgear storage system?

It's also fairly easy to make a cable that'll allow you to connect a standard ATX supply externally so you can recover the files.  If you do that' use masking tape or somethng to seal the gap where the cable comes through, so as to maintain proper air flow.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements