× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Auto Power On after Power Loss?

ClubChapin
Aspirant

Auto Power On after Power Loss?

How do I set the Readynas to Power On after a power loss? It is very annoying that I cannot figure this out. It would be nice to be able to set it to "Power On", "Last State", or "Power OFF" after a power outage, like you can with a PC Workstation or Server type device. It would be really useful for unattended locations.

If this feature isn't available, when will it be?

Thanks, Pete
Message 1 of 36
vandermerwe
Master

Re: Auto Power On after Power Loss?

I believe this should happen in the x86 readynas units, but not if the unit shuts down cleanly when a UPS is present.
I agree that one should expect this to happen, particularly if the shutdown is "clean"
Message 2 of 36
StephenB
Guru

vandermerwe wrote:
I believe this should happen in the x86 readynas units, but not if the unit shuts down cleanly when a UPS is present.
I agree that one should expect this to happen, particularly if the shutdown is "clean"
The theory sounds good, but I see some challenges.

You don't want the NAS to be started up until the UPS has charged up enough to give the NAS time for a second "clean" shutdown if the power fails again. Since the NAS is shut down, it has no way to know when that has occurred.
Message 3 of 36
ClubChapin
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
vandermerwe wrote:
The theory sounds good, but I see some challenges.

You don't want the NAS to be started up until the UPS has charged up enough to give the NAS time for a second "clean" shutdown if the power fails again. Since the NAS is shut down, it has no way to know when that has occurred.

If this is a concern, like a PC, it could be set to stay off in the event of an outage. In my case, I would prefer it to come back on after a power loss.

Worse case, maybe it could come back on at the next schedule power on, which it does not.
Message 4 of 36
vandermerwe
Master

Hi StephenB

The power on after power loss is, at least according to this thread, normal behaviour:

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=60594

I wonder if there is a ups available that could provide a signal to the NAS to power on when mains power is restored. The return of mains power does this. I guess it would require some sort of WOL packet from the ups. Alternatively some more configuration of the ups settings may be feasible where a user could specify an attempt at powering on after a period of time that reflects local power outage durations. Power outages here are exceedingly rare and when they occur they are invariably very short. My NAS shuts down at 30% ups power so there would theoretically be sufficient reserve to accommodate one attempt at powering on.
Message 5 of 36
StephenB
Guru

I realize it is normal behavior if the NAS was running when the power is cut (which is different from the ups shutdown case). I'm not sure that it is a good approach though - at least for me, outages come in spurts.

I agree it would be a nice feature if UPS/NAS folks could figure out how to restart when the UPS is adequately recharged.
Message 6 of 36
KillerBob
Aspirant

I have an Ultra 2 which is usually turned off, and I do NOT want it to turn on automatically when power is restored after a power outage. How do I prevent it from turning on from a turned off state???
Message 7 of 36
vandermerwe
Master

I don't have the answer, however unless power outages are very common, you could have a scheduled power off programmed in every day so at least the unit powers down after a time.
Message 8 of 36
KillerBob
Aspirant

That's what I was afraid of; that there is no setting for this:(

However, that is actually not acceptable, as I consider it dangerous that the NAS automatically switches on (even when originally turned off) when the power returns after an outage. What if the owner does not consider this, has something on top of the NAS, perhaps covering the air in/outtake, and it then turns on. That is actually a fire-hazard...
Message 9 of 36
StephenB
Guru

The scenario where the NAS starts up itself is when there was no clean shutdown, and the power is then restored. Personally I agree there should be an exposed setting for that. I imagine it would be possible to manually tweak the bios, though I have never attempted that.

If someone is intending their NAS to remain off after an outage with no shutdown (and then put stuff on top of it), I'd think they would unplug it. So I am not really getting the fire-hazard aspect - it seems to be a stretch.
Message 10 of 36
KillerBob
Aspirant

Not entirely correct. I shutdown my Ultra 2 cleanly, and it is off for days. Then today we have a power outage in the middle of the day, and my Pro Pioneer which is hooked up to a UPS is running like normal, but the Ultra is also running. It is sitting on a shelf in my office, where I also stow photo-gear.

What if I had just dropped my photo-vest on top of it? That would completely cover it up, and the unit would soon overheat... And no, I should not have to unplug it, as that is the only electric appliance I have that does this!
Message 11 of 36
StephenB
Guru

I've had PC's that do it, though I changed the bios settings to prevent it. We agree that a setting for this would be nice.
Message 12 of 36
vandermerwe
Master

I posted this suggestion in your other thread about this, but I see you already have a UPS.
Can you plug the ultra into the UPS. That will prevent the unit powering on after a power outage.
Message 13 of 36
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

Which model do you use?
For x86 platform, it set in BIOS,
example: on RN312,
Enter into BIOS when system boot, then open Advanced/IT8758 SIO Configuration/Power Failure,
you can select "Always On", "Memory/Last State" and "Always off"

For arm platform, need to change uboot ENV.

This feature is set via Serial Port.
Message 14 of 36
vandermerwe
Master

evan
Most of us do not know how to access the bios using a serial connection and I would have thought this would invalidate a warranty?
Message 15 of 36
KillerBob
Aspirant

vandermerwe wrote:
Can you plug the tea into the UPS. That will prevent the unit powering on after a power outage.

Unfortunately not really an option as the Ultra 2 is in a separate room. It's for backup only and hence I keep it in another room than my Pro Pioneer.
Message 16 of 36
KillerBob
Aspirant

evan wrote:
Enter into BIOS when system boot, then open Advanced/IT8758 SIO Configuration/Power Failure, you can select "Always On", "Memory/Last State" and "Always off" - For arm platform, need to change uboot ENV.

This feature is set via Serial Port.

Other than in the BIOS via a Serial Port is there a way to access this setting? I wouldn't be adverse to accessing the BIOS, but I do not have the tools, and only have Mac equipment, i.e. nothing with a serial port...
Message 17 of 36
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

vandermerwe wrote:
evan
Most of us do not know how to access the bios using a serial connection and I would have thought this would invalidate a warranty?

Yes, we don't suggest use access BIOS using a serial connection,
x86 platform, we set always on, 4.x FW is OK,
6.x FW have a bug, system can not auto power on when power connected, we will fix it on 6.1.0 or 6.1.1 version.

arm platform (OS 5), set always off
arm platform (OS 6), set memory last state
Message 18 of 36
vandermerwe
Master

evan, when can we expect 6.1.0?
Message 19 of 36
KillerBob
Aspirant

Evan,

On my Ultra 2, RAIDiator 4.2.24, I can not change this in the settings anywhere, and the BIOS setting is obviously "always on". I do NOT want the NAS to turn on automatically after a power outage when it was turned off in the first place. It is dangerous! It is an electrical appliance that turns on by itself, without any user intervention, and if it catches fire due to this, I will sue NetGear! Please make something available that gives us the option to change this ourselves!

/Bo
Message 20 of 36
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

Hi KillerBob,
I sent your request to RD.
Message 21 of 36
ClubChapin
Aspirant

Can the Duo and NV+ the be set to do this, or just the x86? When my Duo and NV+ shut down with a power outage, they do not come back on, even at a programmed "switch on" time of day event.

I think my x86 switches on after powerloss.
Message 22 of 36
ReadyAS
Guide

evan wrote:
Hi KillerBob,
I sent your request to RD.

Hi Evan,
is there any response from RD?
In my opinion there should be an option to decide about power on, because it is very dangerous when power is flapping during the auto power on is active.
Message 23 of 36
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

ClubChapin wrote:
When my Duo and NV+ shut down with a power outage, they do not come back on, even at a programmed "switch on" time of day event.

That's because the hardware of those models does not support auto power on after power failure,
Message 24 of 36
ReadyAS
Guide

mdgm wrote:
ClubChapin wrote:
When my Duo and NV+ shut down with a power outage, they do not come back on, even at a programmed "switch on" time of day event.

That's because the hardware of those models does not support auto power on after power failure,

So, the x86 (e.g. RNDU4000, RNDP4000) supports auto power on, but there is NO OPTION to decide about power on (auto on or SIMPLY stay in off) - it's very irritating and I can't understand that approach to the matter.

If the auto power on is supported there should be an option to disable the functionality. Maybe is there any way to disable it directly in unix (not through Frontview interface)???
Message 25 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements