× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Automatic backup to ReadyNAS?

hokieguy
Aspirant

Automatic backup to ReadyNAS?

Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions to do automatic backup of folders/files to my ReadyNAS, similar to Dropbox but without the cloud. Specifically, I'd like to have a program that runs on my laptop, monitors a folder(s) for changes and then propagates those changes to a specified folder on the NAS. I know there are tons of programs like AllWaySync and SyncToy to do the sync manually, and I could run those with Task Scheduler to run daily or whatever, but I'd like to make it even simpler. This means a program running in the background and monitoring changes in real-time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 7
claykin
Aspirant

Re: Automatic backup to ReadyNAS?

http://www.syncback.com

Look at SE or Pro version.
Message 2 of 7
alokeprasad
Mentor

http://quicklytech.com/

The author is responsive by email and also hangs around here.
Message 3 of 7
maxblack
Aspirant

If you're truly doing this for Backup, as opposed to making an updated file available across-your-network i.e. to other PCs, then I question that you'd want to alway "propagate changes". What if you've messed-up a file, or deleted it, on your laptop and need the last version--your "continuous backup" has the bad (or no) file on it to (try to) recover from.

I use syncback to backup my files to my NAS every day, keeping a week's worth of files before over-writing. Then I backup each month. So I have 7 plus 12 or 19 sets of files on my NAS at all times.

On my main computer with critical files I also have a 32Gb USB3.0 thumb/flash drive. For a laptop I'd think a flash drive for "continuous file backups" might be nice as it's with you whether connected to your network or not...
Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

maxblack wrote:
If you're truly doing this for Backup, as opposed to making an updated file available across-your-network i.e. to other PCs, then I question that you'd want to always "propagate changes"...
I agree that a continuous backup scheme needs to be able to roll back to previous versions and also recover deleted files. Otherwise you have no protection against user error - and your protection against disk failure is also not as strong as you'd want. For instance if a directory gets corrupted so no files are seen, you wouldn't want the backup to irrevocably delete the files on the copy.
Message 5 of 7
hokieguy
Aspirant

Thanks everyone - good points. I have used SyncBack Free in the past; I just took a look at the features for the SE verison and it looks like it will do what I want. It says it supports versioning, so between that and the automatic backup (I think it works the way I want, I need to try it) I should be all set.
Message 6 of 7
ranc
Aspirant

3 Years on and I'm wondering if this is still a good solution?

Have been checking out a few and SyncBack SE looks like a good contender.

If anyone else has tips or pointers on this would love to hear.

Thanks,

Ros

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements