× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Automatic shutdown on drive failure

6speed1
Aspirant

Automatic shutdown on drive failure

Is there a way to disable the automatic shutdown when a drive fails?

I know the obvious answer is to replace the drive and re-sync but this process is failing at about 90% which causes the system to crash.

I am trying to get the data off the volume but it either shuts down when the failed drive is missing or crashes trying to rebuild the array.

Thanks 🙂
Message 1 of 11
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Is this for an NV+?

Go to System>Alerts>Settings then uncheck Power-off NAS when a disk fails or no longer responds. >Click Apply
Message 2 of 11
RX
Luminary
Luminary

6speed wrote:
I am trying to get the data off the volume but it either shuts down when the failed drive is missing or crashes trying to rebuild the array.

You may want to clone the failed drive. After the cloning process, insert the cloned drive and the data should be fine.
Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Ixa wrote:
6speed wrote:

You may want to clone the failed drive. After the cloning process, insert the cloned drive and the data should be fine.
Well, the data likely will be corrupted, but hopefully the bulk of it will be intact.
Message 4 of 11
6speed1
Aspirant

Nhellie wrote:
Is this for an NV+?

Go to System>Alerts>Settings then uncheck Power-off NAS when a disk fails or no longer responds. >Click Apply

Yeah, it's a NV+.

You are so the man! You just saved my data.
Message 5 of 11
Nhellie
Virtuoso

6speed wrote:

Yeah, it's a NV+.

You are so the man! You just saved my data.

Good to know! 😄
That feature is to protect the data BTW, it shuts down to avoid another failure. Not recommended to be unchecked if you cannot get access to the NAS locally and replace the failed drive.
Message 6 of 11
muddauber
Aspirant

Ixa, I have two failed drives. How do I l clone the failed drives?
Message 7 of 11
6speed1
Aspirant

Nhellie wrote:
Good to know! 😄
That feature is to protect the data BTW, it shuts down to avoid another failure. Not recommended to be unchecked if you cannot get access to the NAS locally and replace the failed drive.

It's sitting right next to me and I'm backing up all the data that's still good.

Reminder to self. RAID is not a backup and keep your backups up to date. :slap:
Message 8 of 11
RX
Luminary
Luminary

muddauber wrote:
Ixa, I have two failed drives. How do I l clone the failed drives?

I am not that very familiar with disk cloning. However, here are the instructions:

Use a Knoppix 6.2 Live CD for this guide. Can be found at http://www.knoppix.net

Using dd_rescue command allows you to copy data from one drive to another block for block. This is especially useful for recovering a failed drive. Often when a drive fails, the drive is still accessible, it has just surpassed the S.M.A.R.T. error threshold. dd_rescue allows you to ignore the bad sectors and continue cloning the bad drive to a new healthy drive.

1) Connect your old drive ["failed" disk] and new drive to your PC.
2) Boot up using your Linux live CD.
3) Launch a terminal window.
4) Run fdisk -l to make sure the system sees both of the hard drives.
5) Run hdparm -i /dev/sdx on both of the drives to find which drive is your source drive and which drive is your destination drive.
6) Once you know which drive is which you can start the clone process.

dd_rescue /dev/sdx(source disk) /dev/sdx(destination drive)

7) You will see the process start, just keep an eye on it, it might take a few hours for the clone job to finish, depending on the size of the drive.

Once the process is complete, there will be no notification, the transfer will just stop and you will see the terminal prompt again.

If you see a lot of errors or see that there is no more data being shown as succxfer: it means the drive got marked faulty by the kernel. At this point reboot the system and make sure you know which drive is which again, as it is possible the lettering might switch. Run the dd-rescue command again but this time with -r option. This will start the cloning again but this time will start from the back of the drive and will make sure to get the data that has not been cloned yet.
Message 9 of 11
muddauber
Aspirant

thanks on the clone option. I'm gonna give it a try
Message 10 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

6speed wrote:
Is there a way to disable the automatic shutdown when a drive fails?

Should just need to alter one line in /etc/default/services I think to change this behaviour.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements