× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: BIOS upgrade before installing OS 6?

Lamda
Aspirant

BIOS upgrade before installing OS 6?

I have 2 ReadyNAS devices, one ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition and one ReadyNAS Pro 6.  They are both running the latest v4 RAIDiator and I would like to upgrade them both to OS 6.

In reading through the relevant threads in the forum, I am beginning to think that I have to double-check the BIOS of they system before upgrading them to OS 6.  Is there a requirement to be on a certain BIOS version before executing the upgrade to OS 6? (for each of the devices?).  And if the answer is yes and I find out that my current BIOS version is below the required one, how can I obtain the right BIOS version and instructions on how to install it?

Thanks.

Model: RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only, RNDP600E (ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition)|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition|EOL
Message 1 of 9
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Lamda

This article might come handy in upgrading your BIOS. Go to the BIOS upgrade section. As with updating the ReadyNAS to OS 6 please check here.

Again, please note that upgrading your legacy NAS to OS 6 is not supported by NETGEAR but you can always come here to the community for help.

HTH

You might need files for upgrading. You can get it here.

Regards

Message 2 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Lamda wrote:

In reading through the relevant threads in the forum, I am beginning to think that I have to double-check the BIOS of they system before upgrading them to OS 6.  Is there a requirement to be on a certain BIOS version before executing the upgrade to OS 6?

You don't need to update the BIOS.  It's just easier to update it before the conversion than it would be to update it later.

Message 3 of 9
bedlam1
Prodigy

@Lamda this THREAD thread should help you and be far simpler to follow

Message 4 of 9
bedlam1
Prodigy

++++EDIT++++

@Lamda this LINK should help you and be far simpler to follow

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@bedlam1 wrote:

++++EDIT++++

@Lamda this LINK should help you and be far simpler to follow

This one has working download links: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNAS-Pro-6-won-t-boot-after-fai...

Message 6 of 9
Lamda
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies.

Today, I've looked into my devices' logs and here are the BIOS version for both my ReadyNASs:

ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition: 10/03/2008 FLAME6-MB V1.6

ReadyNAS Pro 6: 07/26/2010 FLAME6-MB V2.0

Both devices have the latest RAIDiator firmware.

Can I please ask the forum for a final sanity check: Am I good with the BIOS version I have to go ahead and install OS 6?  Or do I have to go through the BIOS Upgrade first?

Model: RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only, RNDP600E|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneeer Chassis only
Message 7 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Your Pro6 is up to date.  Your Pro Pioneer is not, since the version shown for the Pro6 is the latest (they have identical hardware, except the CPU).

If you ever intend to update the CPU in your Pro Pioneer, you should update the BIOS before the OS6 conversion simply due to the ease of doing so vs. doing it under OS6.  To use the fastest CPUs your NAS can, it needs the most up to date BIOS.

Message 8 of 9
Lamda
Aspirant

I managed to perform the upgrade to ReadyNASOS 6 a few days back on my ReadyNAS Pro 6.  I didn't do anything on its BIOS (as mentioned further up) and just did the upgrade procedure.  It did get stuck on 94% of the Booting step but then I did I powered it down for a Factory Default, and that finished successfully and I was able to access it all fine.  I did the upgrade to v6.10.2, and that also went fine.

ReadyNAS OS 6 is just amazing compared to v4!  Pretty happy with this upgrade so far.  Now, to tackle the 2nd ReadyNAS (Pioneer Pro).

Thanks for your assistance in this case!

Model: RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only, RNDP600E|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneeer Chassis only
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements