× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: BTRFS is killing my NAS

anserk
Aspirant

BTRFS is killing my NAS

I'm having major issues with btrfs in ReadyNAS. Every once in a while it just kills my NAS to a point where even typing SSH commands is very sluggish. Web UI and shares are not accessible. I've read everything I could on the Internet (about balancing, defrag, etc) and have been doing the recommended maintenance. However, once the problem starts, I can't find a way to stop btrfs, whatever it's trying to do. It's a chicken-and-egg situation: to fix the problem, I need my system usable, but the problem makes it unusable.

I'm not a newbie and work with Linux professionally. I really regret buying ReadyNAS, not knowing it forces btrfs without an option to use a reliable file system instead. I don't care so much for the fancy features and snapshots if it can't deliver the basic functionality. Sometimes I don't even care about the data (it's mostly unimportant in my home environment), I just want the system back usable without having to go through factory reset every few months.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to kill btrfs-transacti and related processes after it's stuck? Or tell btrfs to throttle down whatever it's trying to do?

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which firmware are you running?

Have you disabled quotas at the volume level?

How full is your data volume?
Message 2 of 8
anserk
Aspirant

I'm running 6.8.1. I never enabled quota but reading forums it seems like it might have been enabled automatically by a certain firmware update. As part of the troubleshooting (and desperation), I pulled the plug and was able to log in via SSH, which was responsive despite btrfs-transacti process starting to eat up CPU. I had pulled the plug before - the system usually worked for a few minutes before stalling again. So this time I immediately issued this:

btrfs quota disable /data

It's been 15 minutes so far and I don't see any btrfs activity - all services are available.

Now that I can actually access the system, I looked at the GUI logs. The last entry is from snapshot prune worker from 11/2 23:19, the next message is from today when I restarted it. Logs in journalctl indicate there was an out of memory condition around that same time.

Here the output of some btrfs commands.

btrfs fi df /data
Data, single: total=3.84TiB, used=3.47TiB
System, DUP: total=32.00MiB, used=672.00KiB
Metadata, DUP: total=3.00GiB, used=1.74GiB
GlobalReserve, single: total=485.88MiB, used=2.91MiB
root@NAS:~# btrfs fi show
Label: '0e35c581:data'  uuid: 07dfdef1-b26e-474a-b2ca-42a55738cb01
        Total devices 1 FS bytes used 3.47TiB
        devid    1 size 4.54TiB used 3.85TiB path /dev/md127
root@NAS:~# df -h /data
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md127      4.6T  3.5T  1.1T  76% /data

What is the best approach now to do any necessary btrfs maintenance? I had a monthly defrag which I disabled for now. I'm afraid to run balance as I had bad experience with it in the past (system locks up).

Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There is a GUI option to disable volume quotas and also an OS Re-install will disable volume quotas.

Volume maintenance should be scheduled during times where the NAS is being used lightly. Likewise with backups (obviously at a different time to volume maintenance).

Your volume usage is approaching the point where it would be a good idea to free up some space or expand the volume.
Message 4 of 8
DonOKeeffe
Aspirant

results of btrfs filesystem df /Volume1

root@VegaNAS:~# btrfs filesystem df /Volume1
Data, single: total=2.68TiB, used=2.67TiB
System, DUP: total=32.00MiB, used=352.00KiB
Metadata, DUP: total=49.50GiB, used=33.51GiB
GlobalReserve, single: total=512.00MiB, used=200.03MiB

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

wrote:

results of btrfs filesystem df /Volume1

root@VegaNAS:~# btrfs filesystem df /Volume1
Data, single: total=2.68TiB, used=2.67TiB
System, DUP: total=32.00MiB, used=352.00KiB
Metadata, DUP: total=49.50GiB, used=33.51GiB
GlobalReserve, single: total=512.00MiB, used=200.03MiB

Which shows it as being completely full - which is not good.

But what does running the same command on // tell you about the OS partition???

Message 6 of 8
DonOKeeffe
Aspirant

Results of  btrfs filesystem df //

root@VegaNAS:~# btrfs filesystem df //

Data, single: total=1.23GiB, used=668.72MiB
System, DUP: total=8.00MiB, used=16.00KiB
Metadata, DUP: total=204.56MiB, used=9.78MiB
GlobalReserve, single: total=16.00MiB, used=0.00B

Message 7 of 8
DonOKeeffe
Aspirant

apologies, i somehow starting writing into the wrong post would have caused some issues.

Please ignore my posts.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements