× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backing up a 1TB RNDU4000 to Cloud, what cloud ?

pcpro1
Aspirant

Backing up a 1TB RNDU4000 to Cloud, what cloud ?

Im confused about the Netgear cloud functions.
For a RNU4000 with firmware 4.2.31
What cloud backup can I use ?
I need 1 TB storage.

Does Netgear have a solution for this or should I look for others?
Will my NAS support other cloud backup solutions ?

Model: RNDU4000|READYNAS ULTRA 4|EOL
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Backing up a 1TB RNDU4000 to Cloud, what cloud ?

The Netgear cloud features are in OS-6 only, so you can't use them with your OS 4.2 NAS.

One option is to convert your NAS to run OS 6.  Netgear doesn't support OS6 on the ultra, but lots of folks do it anyway.  There are instructions here.

Some cloud storage providers support rsync and ftp protocols.  If you use one of those, you could simply use the backup jobs built into your ReadyNAS.  Rsync over SSH is the best protocol to use for this (since it is encrypted).

Yet another option is to mount the NAS data volume on a Windows or Mac PC, and then install the cloud backup software on the PC.  That might not work with all cloud providers, but it does work with CrashPlan (and is what I am currently doing with my RN526).

Message 2 of 6
pcpro1
Aspirant

Its  really a last solution to include a PC to make backups.
Converting it is not an option at the moment.

So what cloud storage providers support rsync and ftp protocols ?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

rsync.net is one.  $.08 US per GB per month, which I think is pretty expensive.  You could also look at companies that host virtual servers, though pricing on that depends on usage details.  Azure file storage is $.06 US per GB for SMB, but I'm not sure if that will work with the OS 4.2 "windows" backup jobs.

FWIW, rsync is more robust than FTP backup with 4.2 NAS.

Note I don't use these, I am currently using crashplan (which offers unlimited backup for $10 per month).

Message 4 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

Your Ultra can be updated to OS6.x, too.  It is unsupported by Netgear, but is supported here in the forum.  I have upgraded all my active 4.2.x NASes to 6.x.  The up-to-date Debian distro makes for much better support.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Your Ultra can be updated to OS6.x, too. 

Yes, I mentioned that too.  That does provide the most options/flexibility. 

The rsync cloud solutions I found when I googled are pretty exensive, you get a pretty quick ROI on getting a backup NAS (or inexpensive PC) instead.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements