× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backing up over internet.

rossngm
Aspirant

Backing up over internet.

Hi,

We have a 4 bay ReadyNAS314 and only have about250GB of data on our system that I need to backup the rest are large databases which are backedup when they are created. I backup daily using the facility on the admin page of the readynas. What I would like to do is backup the 250GB to a device at home over the internet, is this possible, how long would it take and what on earth do I do to do it!? Is there a particular device I need to buy, if I plug it into by BT home hub at home is it easy to find out it's IP address (I assume I need to find that) etc etc

If 250GB is pushing it for fibre optic connection what is the limit could I back up 50GB or maybe 30BG?

Anyone who can help/advise I would be appreciative.

Cheers

Ross.
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Backing up over internet.

I would suggest getting another ReadyNAS e.g. a 312 and using ReadyNAS Replicate. You can do the first backup with the 312 at the same facility as the 314, then take the 312 home for subsequent backups. After the full backup has been done subsequent backups will only need to copy the changes so they should be a lot quicker over the internet than a full backup would be.

You could use RAIDar to find the I.P. address if you want. Or discover the NAS using ReadyCloud and find it out that way.
Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

What is the speed of the service at the company feed and your home (uplink and downlink)? Do you have data caps?

FWIW, a VM in the amazon cloud might also be worth pricing out.
Message 3 of 5
rossngm
Aspirant

No data caps, home I get 35MBS download can't remember upload think it's easily 5MBS work upload is only 0.6MBS download 12MBS

will look into amazon thanks
Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Ok. So the work upload speed is the bottleneck - and it will take about 4 hours to upload a gigabyte of data (using the full uplink capacity). You'll need to improve the service for over-the-internet backup.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements