× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backup: Error backup job Backup USB: destination is read-only or files/folders could not be created.

readynasdu0
Aspirant

Backup: Error backup job Backup USB: destination is read-only or files/folders could not be created.

I was repeatedly getting athis error on a Samsung USB external hardrive which I was trying to back up the NAS to.

"Backup: Error backup job Backup USB: destination is read-only or files/folders could not be created."

I found this: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29654/~/how-do-i-back-up-data-from-my-readynas-os-6-sy...

My drive was formatted as NTFS through my windows OS - as soon as I formatted after plugging it into the ReadyNAS as EXT4, the errors stopped and the drive was backing up.

I'm posting this as I had this problem for a long time, and this solved it for me.

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Backup: Error backup job Backup USB: destination is read-only or files/folders could not be crea

Usually the root cause here is that the drive was removed from the NAS without being properly ejected.

When that happens the volume "dirty" bit is set, and the NAS mounts it as read only.  The work-around is to mount the drive into a Windows PC, which will offer to "repair" it.  If you let that happen, the dirty bit is cleared.

Message 2 of 3
readynasdu0
Aspirant

Re: Backup: Error backup job Backup USB: destination is read-only or files/folders could not be crea

I had read it could be due to ejecting safely, but usually I had a different error telling me it needed to be plugged into a PC, I connected to a PC on numerous occasions to reset it - and again it would error. I then formatted on the PC, started the backup from zero, and again it would error.

Formatting to EXT4 on the ReadyNAS is the first time it hasn't error'd.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements