× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backup Failure "due to unknown reason"

SJMarty
Aspirant

Backup Failure "due to unknown reason"

I am getting an error when running a FrontView backup job. This job runs on an NV+ and backs up an NV to the NV+. Both units are running 4.1.14. The complete error message at the end of the backup job log is (I masked out the device names and paths)...

Backup failed. Wed Jan 7 09:14:50 EST 2015.

Reason for failure:
Error encountered copying data from remote source path [NAS #1 and Path] ==> [NAS #2 and Path] due to unknown reason. Please see log.

When I downloaded all logs and opened the log for the job, it had the same message.

Any ideas?
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: Backup Failure "due to unknown reason"

What protocol are you using for backup?

Details on the source and destination names and paths might matter.
Message 2 of 7
SJMarty
Aspirant

Remote NFS Server (NAS #1) to a local share (NAS #2).

The job runs from NAS #2. Last night, I replaced the four disks in NAS #2, factory reset, and then restored the configuration. The backup job has not been modified and has worked (literally) for years. I tested another backup job and it worked (reported success).
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Perhaps try deleting the destination share, and recreating it.

If that fails, try creating a new backup job, and see if that one works.
Message 4 of 7
weiland
Aspirant

Hello,

is there a solution yet?
I have a similar problem an the same error message ("Error encountered copying data from source path ==> /USB_HDD_6/Daten due to unknown reason. Please see log.") with my Duo V2. (The Duo V2 is running Firmware: RAIDiator 5.3.11)

The error occurs now over 1.5 years frequently: 10. Mar, 20. May, 15. Jul, 7.Sep, 7.Oct, 1.Nov, 16.Nov, 14.Jan.

The backup is writing empty files (!) to the USB-connected backup drive for all files listet in the error log.

Until now I was formating the backup USB drive on a Windows PC and restart the backup to be sure to have no 0kb files.
But that is of course no satisfactory solution.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
David
Message 5 of 7
markwoll
Guide

I have found this error can be caused for a couple of different reasons.
One is a file/path name longer than 153 characters ( it is actually a couple of characters less than the stated max length ).
The other can be file names with combinations of characters that are 'interpreted' by the nasOS to be shell commands. Quotes, parens, and brackets.
Message 6 of 7
SJMarty
Aspirant

For my issue, I just resubmitted the job and it worked.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements