× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Backup Jobs Won't Run

jps11
Aspirant

Backup Jobs Won't Run

I have an interesting problem: my backup jobs won't run, either on a schedule or manually through Frontview. When I click Go in Frontview, I receive the message that they are starting, the status shows as "Starting…" for about 1 minute, but then it returns back to the previous status. I never receive a message that the job was cancelled or completed and there is nothing in the logs about that. I have tried deleting the backup jobs and creating new ones but that does not make a difference.

It feels like there is something running in the background that is preventing the jobs from running. I have encountered two other symptoms that lead me to that conclusion: First, shutdown from Frontview does not work. I can only shutdown by pressing the power button on the front of the unit and then pressing it again to confirm. Second, I had difficulty updating RAIDiator because the unit would not shutdown to install the firmware. I was only able to complete the upgrade after starting the process through Frontview and then shutting the unit down from the power button on the front panel.

Hopefully this rings a bell with someone as not being able to backup makes me nervous!

Thanks,

Jeff

My info:
Model: ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition [X-RAID2]
Serial: 001f33ea25e3
Firmware: RAIDiator 4.2.25
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Maybe try an OS reinstall?
Message 2 of 8
jps11
Aspirant

This might be a dumb question, but is there a difference between an OS reinstall and updating the firmware?

I first noticed this problem (backups not running and not shutting down) under RAIDiator 4.2.21. I just updated to 4.2.25 and the problem persists.

Thanks,

Jeff
Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

An OS reinstall is done from the front panel boot menu. It is different from a firmware update from the web UI (though I've never seen a clear description on exactly what it reinstalls...).

It will also reset the IP configuration to automatic (dhcp), and the admin password to the factory default (netgear1 in your case). It shouldn't make any other changes.

It might not help, but is worth a try. Be careful not to do a factory reset though - that would wipe your data.
Message 4 of 8
jps11
Aspirant

Any downside to doing the OS reinstall, besides the accidental factory default ad the IP configuration changes? I don't want to make anything worse.

Thanks.
Message 5 of 8
jps11
Aspirant

Agh, now I'm in trouble. I just ran the OS reinstall and now it says that disc 1 is dead! Could that have been a result of the reinstall or a coincidence and a true disk failure?
Message 6 of 8
jps11
Aspirant

Now the saga is deeper. I just purchased another USB drive to make a clean backup before things go any further. I am unable to format the drive in EXT3. The drive mounts, I select format, it gives me a message that it will complete the format in the background, but after about 1 minute the device comes back online and appears that nothing happened. That's just what happens when I tried to run my backup jobs which started this in the first place. And that's what happens when I issue a shutdown command from Frontview.

Here's another hint about the overall problem. When upgrading the firmware yesterday and reinstalling the OS today, I received a message that a backup job was aborted. Specifically "A previous run of backup job is still running. Check if that backup job has stalled, or you may need to adjust the backup interval to account for the amount of data you are backing up." There are no other backup jobs running. And notice the two spaces after the first 'backup job'. It's almost like there is a phantom backup job running that does not have a name/number.

Please help here. With disk down, possibly due to the OS reinstall this morning, and an old backup I'm becoming quite nervous here.

Thanks,

Jeff
Message 7 of 8
jps11
Aspirant

One more piece of information about the disk failure: In RAIDar, the disk light shows up as green and the volume is amber for an error. Does that mean the disk is still partially functioning? Like the OS reinstall didn't work so it's not there from a software perspective but the actual drive is there from a hardware perspective?

Thanks,

Jeff
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements