× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Backup/Media services bugs on RNDP2000

yzt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Backup/Media services bugs on RNDP2000

Dear Netgear NAS community!

I've come into possition of a used ReadyNAS Pro 2 chassis and since then i've been seeing some bugs in services. I understand that the product is nearly 10 y/o and isn't supported anymore, but still, maybe someone might be able to help me. I've updated it to the lastest firmware (RAIDiator 4.2.31) and i have root ssh access to it.

1. TimeMachine backups for OSX. I can successfully create remote backups to RNDP2K and maintain increments for some time, but after a couple of weeks out of a clear sky OSX (Mojave 10.14.6) reports that the backup was found "inconsistent" and must be recreated. When i do a new backup, the story repeats itself.
    Since a full backup over 802.11ac Wi-Fi takes about 12-16 hours (and my macbook doesn't have an ethernet port, not that it's a matter of transfer speed anyway), this basically makes the service unusable.
    I'm aware that Apple has discontinued TimeCapsule and their support forums are full of complaints about remote backup not working properly, but maybe there's a workaround for ReadyNAS that i can use.
  2. DLNA media server. ReadyDLNA behaves really weird on some videos, refusing to even show some outright (after some testing it seems to be happening on videos with 20-30 subtitles that have chineese/arabic/norsk characters), multiplicating entries for a single video (e.g. 10 entries for the same one) which can only be fixed by manually clicking "Rescan media files" even though "automatic update" is checked, or failing to remove deleted videos, this can also be fixed by forcing rescan.
    None of that happens with my other DLNA server, using the same clients (VLC, SmartTV, etc), so it's unlikely an issue with any of that.
    Is there a way to maybe upgrade ReadyDLNA (the one i have is v1.1.4), or install some other media server alltogether?
  3. iTunes library. This doesn't work at all: even though iTunes (latest versions on both OSX and Windows 10) can find the library, it can't detect mostly anything, and what it can detect - it can't stream.
    I realize it most likely has to do with the fact that iTunes protocols might have obviously changed any number of times for the last 10 years, but nevertheless maybe it can be somehow fixed.

Otherwise, it's a great product that keeps working and doing [most of ;)] what i need a NAS to do!

Model: RNDP2000|ReadyNAS Pro 2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Are you still running the RAIDiator 4.2.x OS it came with, or has it been updated to OS6.x?  While not officially supported on the legacy Pro models, it does work and you can find instructions here in the forum (best found with a Google search, not the forum search engine)..  You don't get Netgear support, but you don't get that for a second hand unit, anyway.  The RAIDiator OS and available apps for it are getting a bit long in the tooth, and it only supports SMB1.  OS6 is a currently supported OS.

It is recommended that you upgrade to 2GB of RAM to run OS6, but it's a simple upgrade using a laptop SODIMM.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Are you still running the RAIDiator 4.2.x OS it came with, or has it been updated to OS6.x?  While not officially supported on the legacy Pro models, it does work and you can find instructions here in the forum (best found with a Google search, not the forum search engine)..  You don't get Netgear support, but you don't get that for a second hand unit, anyway.  The RAIDiator OS and available apps for it are getting a bit long in the tooth, and it only supports SMB1.  OS6 is a currently supported OS.

It is recommended that you upgrade to 2GB of RAM to run OS6, but it's a simple upgrade using a laptop SODIMM.

Message 2 of 3
yzt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, i do use 4.2.31. I guess you're referring to this: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/OS6-now-works-on-x86-Legacy-WARNING...? Thanks for pointing this out, will think about it!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements