× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Backup Path Lost When Switching USB Drives

NASklr
Aspirant

Backup Path Lost When Switching USB Drives

RN102 with 6.2.3

I have backup jobs for each share to backup to a corresponding destination folder on a usb drive (Music share goes to Music folder on usb drive). Backup button is enabled for each job so I can hit the button at the end of each week  and backup over the weekend. Each month I switch out the usb drive. One drive shows up as usb_hdd_1. The other as usb_hdd_2. Since the folder path is different for each drive I have created backup job sets for each usb drive. When I run backups, I'll get an error for the usb drive set that isn't hooked up, but that's not an issue.

When I first switch usb drives and hit the backup button, I get an error for destination folder not found, even for the jobs that point to that usb drive. I then use the web ui to point the backup job to the destination folder and it works again as long as that drive remains connected. . The path is unchanged from when the last time the drive was connected. Is there a way to get the destination path recognized automatically?

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@NASklr wrote:

I'm reluctant to test out a beta firmware at this point.

You can't downgrade from 6.4 beta, so it is wise to be cautious.

You could upgrade to the current production firmware though (6.2.5).

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 12

All Replies
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi NASklr,

The USB path name depends on which USB device gets plugged in first. Even if they're switched out (top/bottom or front) the same USB_HDD_1 stays on the 1st USB storage plugged in, and USB_HDD_2 for the next one. Kindly confirm if you have tried this and got the same behavior.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 12
NASklr
Aspirant

I've been plugging both drives alternately into the top back usb 3.0 socket. (My UPS is plugged into the lower back socket.) The RN102 gave each drive a different name when I plugged them in.

Message 3 of 12
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi NASklr,

Can you confirm if the name of the 1st USB storage device you plugged in, is USB_HDD_1? and when you plugged in the the other USB storage device, was it named USB_HDD_2?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 12
NASklr
Aspirant

Yes, confirmed. Both drives are identical WD 1TB reds. External enclosures are different brands though. Each drive has been formatted the same and has identical folder structure. For each share on the RN102 I have two backup jobs, Both are set to run with the backup button. One of those jobs points to a destination folder on usb_hdd_1. The other job points to a destination folder on usb_hdd_2.

When I swap external drives, I get an error on all jobs saying destination not found. If I check the destination settings in the job it appears correct eg. I hook up usb_hdd_1 and get the error even thought the destination path shows as \\usb_hdd_1\music for my music share backup. (I'm not positive about this and at the moment I'm not home to check.) So I browse to that same path and apply and the backup job then works.

So each time I swap drives I have to go into the backup jobs for that drive and reapply the path for that job to work. Multiply that times the number of shares I have. Not It only takes a couple minutes to perform this fix. I'm wondering if there's a better approach?

Message 5 of 12
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi NASklr,

I have tested this and it worked for me on 6.4.0. Do you mind if I will ask you to upgrade the Firmware of your ReadyNAS system to the latest beta available?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 12
NASklr
Aspirant

Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@NASklr wrote:

You can't downgrade from 6.4 beta, so it is wise to be cautious.

You could upgrade to the current production firmware though (6.2.5).

Message 8 of 12
NASklr
Aspirant

Restoring to factory default and updating to 6.2.5 is on my list. Right now my backup enclosures are in use getting some 3TB drives toture tested prior to installing in the RN102.

Message 9 of 12
NASklr
Aspirant

Restored to factory default, updated firmware to 6.2.5, then restored from previous configuration. So far so good. usb_hdd_1 was recognized without having to redfine the backup paths.

Message 10 of 12
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi NASklr,

Thank you for the feedback. Just let us know if you encounter such problems again with the USB path on your backup jobs.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 12
NASklr
Aspirant

I can now confirm updating to 6.2.5 firmware took care of my issue. Due to drive upgrades I was back to scratch on all my backup jobs. Since I swap backup drives out every month it took a number of months before I had reconnected both backup drives at least once.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements