× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backup Private Time Machine over network

bobba84
Luminary

Backup Private Time Machine over network

Hi guys,

I have an RN104 with private time machine set up.

Can somebody please help me with the share name that time machine uses to connect? I want to access it over the network myself to back it up.

Thanks!

Bobby.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
bobba84
Luminary

Re: Backup Private Time Machine over network

update - solved it myself! just thought I'l put it here in case anyone else needs the info

For username bobby the private time machine (hidden) smb address is

\\nas\bobby's timemachine

yes that's a space - which is a bit silly... also I do know that mac uses a different ' character for some things - if you have an issue copy it from this line!

Bobby.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
bobba84
Luminary

update - solved it myself! just thought I'l put it here in case anyone else needs the info

For username bobby the private time machine (hidden) smb address is

\\nas\bobby's timemachine

yes that's a space - which is a bit silly... also I do know that mac uses a different ' character for some things - if you have an issue copy it from this line!

Bobby.

Message 2 of 3
derekca
Aspirant

Hi,

For general info with anyone attempting to Time Machine backup to a NAS share.  I enabled Time Machine in Front View on my ReadyNAS and event though I went to Time Machine in OSX [10.14.6] and could see the NAS share it kept erroring out when giving it the correct login credentials.  This video explained how creating a sparse bundle image first, moving it to the NAS volume, telling Time Machine in terminal where it was located ACTUALLY worked for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VwHGSHSnDk

Model: RNDP2220|ReadyNAS Pro 2 4TB (2 x 2TB Enterprise)
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements