× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backup ReadyNAS 316 to NV+

x10u8tr
Aspirant

Backup ReadyNAS 316 to NV+

I replaced my ReadyNAS NV+ (Radiator 4.1.6 arm) with a ReadyNAS 316 (6.9.5) and have been slowly migrating my data over to the newer faster larger capacity box and have been very happy.  Once I complete my data migration to the 316, I'm thinking of using the old NV+ to backup my critical data so I wanted to get the community's thoughts on this.

The old NV+ has 4x 2 TB drives in an X-RAID configuration so roughly 5460 GB available with 100 GB reserved for snapshots which I believe is the maximum.  The 316 currently has 3x 4 TB drives with 3 empty bays using approx 5 TB of the available 7 TB.  I backup data from a couple of Window machines, my old self built Linux server which was my original file server and runs various server applications and a couple of Mac's using Time Machine.

The data I deem non replaceable is probably around 3 TB so the extra is mostly media that could be recreated.  There's also some really old backups of old computers that don't even run anymore and the Mac's are also backed up to removable hard rives.  I expect I'd only need to run the backup occasionally perhaps once a week or less.

Any suggestions on the best way to do this?  

thanks in advance.

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+, RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Backup ReadyNAS 316 to NV+

I use daily incremental rsync backup jobs for each share that I back up to the NV+.  FWIW, I have also chosen to disable SMB/CIFS on that NAS.

My NV+ is on a power schedule, so it automatically powers up, runs the backups and shuts down.  Most backup jobs just send an email notification on failure, but one is set to send an email every time the backup runs, so I have a positive indication that everything is ok.

If the NV+ is on a power schedule, you need to run the backup jobs on the NV+ (in order to be certain it is awake).  If it's always on, then you can run them on either system.  If you run them on the RN316, then it will take a snapshot, and back that up (deleting the snapshot when the job finishes).  That ensures that the backup is coherent.  Though personally I run "pull" backups on the destination machines - I find it a bit easier to manage them.

I do recommend reserving the IP address of both NAS in your router, and using the IP addresses in the backup jobs.  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

I use daily incremental rsync backup jobs for each share that I back up to the NV+.  FWIW, I have also chosen to disable SMB/CIFS on that NAS.

My NV+ is on a power schedule, so it automatically powers up, runs the backups and shuts down.  Most backup jobs just send an email notification on failure, but one is set to send an email every time the backup runs, so I have a positive indication that everything is ok.

If the NV+ is on a power schedule, you need to run the backup jobs on the NV+ (in order to be certain it is awake).  If it's always on, then you can run them on either system.  If you run them on the RN316, then it will take a snapshot, and back that up (deleting the snapshot when the job finishes).  That ensures that the backup is coherent.  Though personally I run "pull" backups on the destination machines - I find it a bit easier to manage them.

I do recommend reserving the IP address of both NAS in your router, and using the IP addresses in the backup jobs.  

Message 2 of 4
x10u8tr
Aspirant

Great to hear that someone is already doing same.

I prefer pulling data as well.

Will have to look at putting NV+ on power schedule once everything has been migrated.  I'm still trimming old backups from the other machines.

I do use static IP's on machines that provide a service.

Why did you disable SMB/CIFS on NV+?

thank you.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@x10u8tr wrote:

Why did you disable SMB/CIFS on NV+?

It ensures that the NAS can't be accessed from my PCs.  That  reduces the risk that a ransomware attack could reach the backup.  

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements