× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backup Recovery is a joke and shouldnt be trusted

inteller
Apprentice

Backup Recovery is a joke and shouldnt be trusted

I created a backup going from entire volume to USB.

Now I need to recover to a fresh volume because the old drives failed.

After fumbling through the shoddy help system, I was informed that recovery is simply the reverse of the backup job.  Ok, that's lazy but whatever.

So I go to create the backup job and specify my USB source.

When I go to specify the volume it allows me to select it, but then the word Location next to the destination goes from black to red and it will not let me continue.

If I create a backup job and select folders from the source and destination, it will let me create the job. 

That is not acceptable.  I should be able to reverse the backup job EXACTLY, as a recovery job.

I called support and they had the AUDACITY to ask me for a support contract to troubleshoot what is a SOFTWARE FLAW by NETGEAR.

DO NOT trust that the backup jobs you create can be reversed to create a 'recovery job'

Model: RN424| ReadyNAS 424 4-Bay with up to 40 TB total storage
Message 1 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Backup Recovery is a joke and shouldnt be trusted

We recommend separate backup jobs for each share.

One of the reasons we don't allow backup jobs to select the root of the data volume as the destination is that some users would inadvertently wipe their data.

Another is that it doesn't recreate shares the way they need to be.

If you want you could create the shares using the GUI and then try a SMB backup with the Remote destination the SMB path to the NAS data volume. You'd need to use the admin login credentials for this. This may be an acceptable workaround for you.

Message 2 of 3
inteller
Apprentice

Re: Backup Recovery is a joke and shouldnt be trusted

Well stupid users aren't my problem.  And if it isn't recreating the shares as it should it sounds like shoddy programming.  If you let it go one direction you should let it go the other, with sufficient warnings.  Or have an recovery wizard that when the NAS goes from seeing a data volume to no volume it initiates a process starting with "Would you like to recover from external backup?"

"If you want you could..."

No if I want I HAVE TO....thats the only way to deal with this tragedy.  And as a bonus I get to reconfigure ALL my apps because that cant come from backup either.  The fact that Netgear advertises this as a business solution is hilarious.  There is absolutely no DR component to this product.  I wouldn't let this into my business or anyone elses.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements