× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Backup Status: Fail: destination cannot be mounted on th

arwhite1
Aspirant

Backup Status: Fail: destination cannot be mounted on the sy

Hello,
I have configured a ReadyNAS 104 (6.1.8 ) to backup to a Windows 7 share (using remote:Windows/NAS).
The "Test Connection" works correctly however the actual back fails giving an error:

-------- Backup Job Information -------- Backup Job Name: Alastair Backup Job Type: Full
Protocol: cifs
Backup Source: [Alastair]/
Backup Destination: [remote:cifs]///omega/alastair Backup Start Time: Fri Aug 1 2014 21:45:57 Backup Finish Time: Fri Aug 1 2014 21:46:17 Backup Status: Fail: destination cannot be mounted on the system

I have another older ReadyNas which is configured in the same way and it works correctly.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.
Message 1 of 14
arwhite1
Aspirant

Bump
Message 2 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Do you have another windows machine? If try to connect to \\omega\alastair and see if you can put files into that folder.

Keep in mind that file permissions are separate from sharing permissions, and that you need both to write to a Windows share.
Message 3 of 14
xeltros
Apprentice

I advise to use fixed IP address. I'm not sure that your NAS can see what is "omega", try with an IP.
Message 4 of 14
StephenB
Guru

xeltros wrote:
I advise to use fixed IP address. I'm not sure that your NAS can see what is "omega", try with an IP.
Yes, that is also reasonable to try. Though it is a bit of a mystery why test connection succeeds in resolving the name. However, it is not uncommon to see reports where "test connection" succeeds and the actual backup fails (and also the reverse).

Getting the permissions set up correctly on the Windows side is as messy as it is on the NAS (for similar reasons). So I think that could be it.

Internet security software might also be blocking the writes.
Message 5 of 14
arwhite1
Aspirant

Thank you.

I have tried writing files to the share \\omega\alastair from another Windows machine on the domain. This works correctly.

I have changed the HOST setting in the ReadyNas FrontView backup's from 'omega' to '192.168.1.20' (This is the fixed IP for omega) It still fails. I tried rebooting the ReadyNas. No luck.

The original ReadyNas has a fixed IP.
This new ReadyNas does not.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
Message 6 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Can you ping the NAS from omega?
Message 7 of 14
arwhite1
Aspirant

Sorry for the delay ... I have been struggling in my attempt to resolve this issue ....

From a CMD prompt on Omega I can successfully ping "ping gxfiles1"

I have configured five "remote: Windows/NAS (timestamp)" backups
All of which correctly pass the account credentials Test.
Over the past weeks, on one occasion the backup worked partially, backing up 64 folders, 480 files, 8.55GB (FLAC music files), however, the NAS has over 400 folders, 4k files and 90GB.

Today, I deleted this folder from Omega and started again.
Currently, the four small Shares backup correctly, (the largest Share has 4k files at around 3GB).

The larger Share, starts to back up. Then after around 50 files (300MB approx.) it reports "Error backup job "Music": destination is read-only"
Further attempts enable a similar small number of files to be backed up.
It is as if either the NAS or PC are becoming overloaded somehow.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks ... Andrew
Message 8 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Did you try resetting the owners and permissions for the shares? (the "advanced options" tab on the upper right, after you select the "cifs" icon next to the share).
Message 9 of 14
arwhite1
Aspirant

Thank you for your help.
I tried this, no luck.
I am using Version 6.1.9 firmware, hence cifs is smb I assume. Also, I am using ADS for access control.

It seems that after a few (tens or hundreds) of files, the backup fails. I wonder if there is a setting on the Windows PC that is affecting throughput in some way?
Message 10 of 14
arwhite1
Aspirant

Perhaps there is some form of clue in the logs ...
There seems to be some form of problem with mkdir ...

Backup Job Name: Music
Backup Job Type: Incremental
Protocol: cifs
Backup Source: [Music]/
Backup Destination: [remote:cifs]///omega/music
Backup Start Time: Sat Sep 27 2014 19:55:18
Backup Finish Time: Sat Sep 27 2014 19:55:43
Backup Status: Fail: destination is read-only.

Copy File FLAC/E-H/Eminem/Curtain Call; The Hits [Clean]/05 Eminem - Stan.flac
Copy File FLAC/E-H/Eminem/Curtain Call; The Hits [Clean]/06 Eminem - Lose Yourself.flac
Copy File FLAC/E-H/Eminem/Curtain Call; The Hits [Clean]/07 Eminem - Shake That.flac
Copy File FLAC/E-H/Eminem/Curtain Call; The Hits [Clean]/08 Eminem - Sing for the Moment.flac
Copy File FLAC/E-H/Eminem/Curtain Call; The Hits [Clean]/09 Eminem - Without Me.flac
Copy File FLAC/E-H/Eminem/Curtain Call; The Hits [Clean]/10 Eminem - Like Toy Soldiers.flac
Copy File FLAC/E-H/Eminem/Curtain Call; The Hits [Clean]/11 Eminem - The Real Slim Shady.flac
Copy File FLAC/E-H/Eminem/Curtain Call; The Hits [Clean]/12 Eminem - Mockingbird.flac
Copy File FLAC/E-H/Eminem/Curtain Call; The Hits [Clean]/13 Eminem - Guilty Conscience.flac
Copy File FLAC/E-H/Eminem/Curtain Call; The Hits [Clean]/14 Eminem - When I'm Gone.flac
Copy File FLAC/E-H/Eminem/Curtain Call; The Hits [Clean]/15 Eminem - Just Lose It.flac
Copy File FLAC/E-H/Eminem/Curtain Call; The Hits [Clean]/16 Eminem - When I'm Gone.flac
Copy File FLAC/E-H/Eminem/Curtain Call; The Hits [Clean]/17 Eminem - Stan (live).flac
Copy File FLAC/E-H/Eminem/Curtain Call; The Hits [Clean]/Folder.jpg
Copy File FLAC/E-H/Eminem/Curtain Call; The Hits [Clean]/Thumbs.db
Copy Folder FLAC/E-H/Enid Blyton
Copy Folder FLAC/E-H/Enid Blyton/The Famous Five; Five on a Treasure Island
Copy File FLAC/E-H/Enid Blyton/The Famous Five; Five on a Treasure Island/01 Enid Blyton - Chapter 1.flac
Cannot mkdir FLAC/E-H/Enya
Cannot mkdir FLAC/E-H/Eric Clapton
Cannot mkdir FLAC/E-H/Eurythmics
Cannot mkdir FLAC/E-H/Extreme
Cannot mkdir FLAC/E-H/Faithless
Cannot mkdir FLAC/E-H/Farm, The
Cannot mkdir FLAC/E-H/Fatboy Slim
Cannot mkdir FLAC/E-H/Fine Young Cannibals
Cannot mkdir FLAC/E-H/Fleetwood Mac
Cannot mkdir FLAC/E-H/Frank Sinatra
Cannot mkdir FLAC/E-H/Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Cannot mkdir FLAC/E-H/Frederic Chopin
Cannot mkdir FLAC/E-H/Fugees
Cannot mkdir FLAC/E-H/Gabrielle
Cannot mkdir FLAC/E-H/George Fenton
Cannot mkdir FLAC/E-H/George Michael
Cannot mkdir FLAC/E-H/Giorgio Moroder
Cannot mkdir FLAC/E-H/Glenn Miller
Cannot mkdir FLAC/E-H/Gorillaz
Cannot mkdir FLAC/E-H/Graham Dalby
Cannot mkdir FLAC/E-H/Handel and Bach
Cannot mkdir FLAC/E-H/Heaven 17
Cannot mkdir FLAC/E-H/Human League, The
Cannot mkdir FLAC/I-L
Cannot mkdir FLAC/M-P
Cannot mkdir FLAC/Q-U
Cannot mkdir FLAC/V-Z
Cannot mkdir mp3

----------------------------------------
Message 11 of 14
arwhite1
Aspirant

Hello
I am still struggling with this problem.
Would anyone have any ideas of other backup routes that I could try to get the Readynas data onto a PC share?

Many thanks .... Andrew
Message 12 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Personally I do this in the other direction - I run a robocopy script on the PC that backs up selected shares to the PC drives. This is tacked on to an acronis backup job that already runs on the PC (which backs the the PC to the NAS)
Message 13 of 14
arwhite1
Aspirant

Dear StephenB
Thank you for this. I've obviously been too close to this problem. I didn't think of running a BU job from the PC! Thank you.
I have Acronis for a tape drive. I'll try a BU job. Makes a lot of sense.

Kind regards ... Andrew
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements