× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Backup error despite job completion

Leofwine
Tutor

Backup error despite job completion

I have a daily backup job which backs up to an external USB drive.

Two days ago, I started to get an error like this:

Error backup job 'backup-01': destination is read-only

The thing is, the job appears to have been completed as all the files are in the destination folder and comparison between the source and destination shows no discrepancy - so I don't understand why I am getting the error e-mails.

[edit] Typo in title.
Message 1 of 5
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Backup error despite job complettion

Leofwine wrote:
I have a daily backup job which backs up to an external USB drive.

Two days ago, I started to get an error like this:

Error backup job 'backup-01': destination is read-only

The thing is, the job appears to have been completed as all the files are in the destination folder and comparison between the source and destination shows no discrepancy - so I don't understand why I am getting the error e-mails.

What is the file format of your external USB drive? Is it FAT32 or NTFS?

Check these forum links below:
https://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopi ... 5&p=405203
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=79334
Message 2 of 5
Leofwine
Tutor

Sorry, I should have specified that it is NTFS which I chose because I edit video and files can get too big for FAT32.

I am on a Mac and tried repairing the disk with Tuxera NTFS via DiskTools as per advice I received on here about another USB issue.

At the moment, I haven't got anywhere to dump the data on the drive to expedite it being reformatted but I plan to acquire another drive in the near future.
Message 3 of 5
Leofwine
Tutor

I don't know if this is of any interest to anybody but I think I fixed this problem.

First of all, I moved everything from the destination folder to another folder.

Then, I deleted the destination folder and recreated it using the ReadyNAS web interface, rather than my Mac's Finder.

Then, I simply put everything back in the newly created folder. I ran the backup job and there were no errors.

It seems that creating the folder using the Mac Finder, whilst it worked flawlessly for several months, suddenly found a problem which may be related to the fact that it is no longer possible to create backup jobs to USB drives using the web interface on OS 6.2.4 which I hope will be fixed soon.
Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There is a workaround for creating backup jobs to USB drives: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=81001
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements