× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backup from NAS to NAS in 2 different geo location, without public static IP?

magwems
Tutor

Backup from NAS to NAS in 2 different geo location, without public static IP?

Hi,

I have 2 ReadyNAS (102 and 104), one in Europe, one in US, both connected to the internet, but none with a public facing IP, and I'm trying to backup one folder from one NAS onto the other.

I see RSync is THE tool, but since neither have public facing static IP, it seems to me that I can't use it

I wanted to use readyNAS Replicate, but it's being depreciated

I was hoping for a feature in ReadyCloud to achieve this, 

Any recommandation?

Thanks

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series,RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Backup from NAS to NAS in 2 different geo location, without public static IP?

@magwems wrote:

Any recommendation?

rsync over ssh (which is encrypted) using DDNS to provide a host name to your far-end router(s), and forwarding port 22 to the NAS.  noip.com still offers a free DDNS service which is enough to do the job.

There is a guide here: https://kb.netgear.com/29929/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Setting-up-a-backup-job-with-rsync-over-SSH

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Backup from NAS to NAS in 2 different geo location, without public static IP?

@magwems wrote:

Any recommendation?

rsync over ssh (which is encrypted) using DDNS to provide a host name to your far-end router(s), and forwarding port 22 to the NAS.  noip.com still offers a free DDNS service which is enough to do the job.

There is a guide here: https://kb.netgear.com/29929/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Setting-up-a-backup-job-with-rsync-over-SSH

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

A VPN such as OpenVPN or Zerotier is another option.  I'm a fan of ZeroTier. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements