× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backup from ReadyNAS Duo to Amazon S3 via s3rsync.com

jporritt
Follower

Backup from ReadyNAS Duo to Amazon S3 via s3rsync.com

Has anyone got their ReadyNAS Duo backinup up to Amazon S3 via s3rsync.com? I'm trying to get it set up, but it's proving more difficult than I thought. I added the latest rsync ssh add-on, acquired my private key from s3rsync.com, and have logged in to the console to run the rsync job manually. For some reason it's not connecting though. Has anyone got this solution working?

Cheers,
James.
Message 1 of 4
bebo94
Aspirant

Re: Backup from ReadyNAS Duo to Amazon S3 via s3rsync.com

Any luck yet, James? I'm highly interested in this.
Message 2 of 4
yellowandy
Aspirant

Hi All,

I didn't see any great solutions available so I took the time to write a simple php script to push from my nas to amazon. It's not very smart, rather simplistic as I did it in an hour but it works and I have it backing up my pictures and video to amazon. Now I don't have a script to pull back the items from amazon s3 to the nas in case I need to but I suppose you could do that manually. Note that this solution is more developer focused, you can't simply set it up through frontView. That would be nice eventually but I don't have the time at the moment. Here's how you can get the script working:

1. Install PHP: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=35880
2. Make sure you have ssh access, install it if you don't.
3. Get the source for the script: https://github.com/yellowandy/s3sync (you'll just need the s3.php file)
4. Install the amazon s3 php sdk via the pear channel.
5. Edit the config file and supply you're s3 authentication credentials
6. Setup you're crontab to look something like this:

0 3 * * 2 /root/s3sync/s3.php <bucketName> <directoryToMonitor>

HTH,

Andreas
Message 3 of 4
dgerson76
Aspirant

Look good so far. Could you expand a little on the last part? I am not a developer but I think I can figure most of this out.

Thanks
Dan
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements