× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Backup from ReadyNAS OS6 to ReadyNAS Raidiator 4

fixmacs
Guide

Backup from ReadyNAS OS6 to ReadyNAS Raidiator 4

I have a new ReadyNAS RN214. I also have an older ReadyNAS NV+. I want to create a backup job to back up the new RN214 to the older NV+ to be stored offsite. How do I create this backup job on the same LAN? 

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello fixmacs,

It should be through RSYNC protocol. The 2 ReadyNAS units have RSYNC, however they have different OS.

You are trying to backup from OS6 to OS4. Please see this article, it is about backing up from OS4 to OS6, so the configuration is somehow the same but it's the other way around. You will configure the backup job on the OS4 instead of the OS6 because it is the ReadyNAS NV+ that will pull the data (from RN214).

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello fixmacs,

It should be through RSYNC protocol. The 2 ReadyNAS units have RSYNC, however they have different OS.

You are trying to backup from OS6 to OS4. Please see this article, it is about backing up from OS4 to OS6, so the configuration is somehow the same but it's the other way around. You will configure the backup job on the OS4 instead of the OS6 because it is the ReadyNAS NV+ that will pull the data (from RN214).

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 2 of 7
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi fixmacs,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 3 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

I would think it would be faster to push the data from the 214 to the NV+ instead of the other way around, puting the bigger load on the ARM instead of the SPARC.  But maybe not enough to matter much.

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

I would think it would be faster to push the data from the 214 to the NV+ instead of the other way around, puting the bigger load on the ARM instead of the SPARC.  But maybe not enough to matter much.

Generally I like to run backups on the destination machine, but I don't think it really matters much either.

Message 5 of 7
fixmacs
Guide

How do I do that? I understand the advantage. I have two tasks. One, is to use my old NV+ as a backup to the new RN214. I will keep the backup offsite. How do I set up a job as you recommended?

A second task is to back up one folder in the RN 214 to a USB drive. I successfully created a back up job for that task, but I am unable to set it up to backup only when the backup button on the front of the 214 is pressed. I was unable to comprehend how to disable the automatic daily backup feature.

Many thanks.

Mark

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@fixmacs wrote:

I was unable to comprehend how to disable the automatic daily backup feature.

Go to the backup job page on the web ui, click the job and then choose the settings wheel.  You'll see a pop-up that includes a "schedule" tab.  Choose it, and disable the schedule by unchecking the "enable schedule" control.

disable_schedule.png

@fixmacs wrote:

How do I do that? I understand the advantage. I have two tasks. One, is to use my old NV+ as a backup to the new RN214. I will keep the backup offsite. How do I set up a job as you recommended?

Are you wanting a one-time backup, or do you want to update the backup after you move the NV+ to its new location?
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements