× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Backup from Windows 10 stops before it is ready

Fredso
Aspirant

Backup from Windows 10 stops before it is ready

I have tried to set up a backup of a Windows 10 machine to my ReadyNAS 212 using Windows backup utility, but it stops sort of halfway. A few files are written to the NAS but then the process stops and tells me it can't reach the destination (which it obviously has since some files have been written there!!!!). I have followed the setup procedure described at Netgear. I have no problem reaching the NAS from Windows Explorer. I have searched the community but not found an answer.  Do I need (or are benefited in some ways from) a specific backup program?

I saw somewhere that the SMB should be changed to 2.0 for Windows 10 so I did that, but it did not work anyway.

I would be very grateful fo any suggestions!!!!!

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Windows 10 supports SMBv3 (as does the NAS).

What firmware is running on the NAS?

Message 2 of 6
Fredso
Aspirant

The NAS runs the latest firmware, 6.9.1.

So what can the problem be?

And should I reset the SMB to 3.0 again?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Fredso wrote:

And should I reset the SMB to 3.0 again?

I would. It didn't fix anything, and SMB 3.0 is the best version to use.

Fredso wrote:

So what can the problem be?

I'm not sure.  Try copying the files using windows file explorer and see if that works.

Message 4 of 6
Fredso
Aspirant

I have no problems reading or writing files from/to the NAS through Windows Explorer.

What really puzzles me is that the backup process writes a few files to the folder that I have specified on the NAS, but then suddenly stops and tells me that it does not find the destination. I have tried to change the destination folder, with the same result. That is, the process stops after having written a few files to the destination folder I have specified in each case. I have also set up another user on the NAS and with the same result.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Fredso wrote:

I have no problems reading or writing files from/to the NAS through Windows Explorer.

Yes, but it should be doing exactly the same thing as the backup job, so that is a puzzle.  I was hoping that if you transferred a group of files that way, you'd see the same behavior.

Is this a wired connection?  Or is there wireless or powerline networking on the path from the NAS to the destination?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements