× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backup from readynas 314

vnkychandu
Aspirant

Backup from readynas 314

How do i backup data from ReadyNAS 314 to Windows 8.1 PC which is located remotely using rsync over SSH?

When ever i try to do it says failure due to copy.

Find me a solution

Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: Backup from readynas 314

what rsync package are you using on the PC?

Message 2 of 7
vnkychandu
Aspirant

Now i am us the frimware version 6.4.0.

where can i find the rsync package details

Message 3 of 7
vnkychandu
Aspirant

Now i am us the firmware version 6.4.0.

I even tried rebooting the ReadyNas from Ready Cloud

Where can i find the rsync package details?

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@vnkychandu wrote:

Now i am us the firmware version 6.4.0.

I even tried rebooting the ReadyNas from Ready Cloud

Where can i find the rsync package details?

If you want to use rsync, both devices need to support it (both the windows machine and the NAS).

Rsync does not come with windows, and from your reply I am gathering that you didn't realize that you needed to install it there.  

So the next step is that you need to install rsync software on the Windows PC.  I don't use rsync for PC backup myself, so I don't have a recommendation.  I have seen one rsync package for windows that includes rsync-over-ssh support.  But i don't know if that is compatible with the NAS or not.  A link to that package is here: http://www.rsync.net/resources/howto/windows_rsync.html  There might be others, I've never researched it.

Message 5 of 7
vnkychandu
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.

I contacted netgear, they said that it is not possible to backup files in remote. we can only view or download or upload.

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@vnkychandu wrote:

Thank you for your reply.

I contacted netgear, they said that it is not possible to backup files in remote. we can only view or download or upload.

You should have said you were trying to use remote in your original post.  If you want useful replies here, it is important to give us enough information.  

Most people using rsync over ssh are forwarding ports in their router (e.g., not using remote).  It is true that you can't use frontview backup over remote.

You can accomplish the same goal from the PC.  Robocopy for instance can be used to do incremental copies from the PC to the NAS (or NAS to PC), and that will work over remote.  Robocopy is built into Windows.  It is a command line tool, but there are some freeware GUIs out there if you look.

Remote often isn't fast, so it might not be as useful for this as you think.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements