× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backup of Time Machine has started failing

lrl1
Aspirant

Backup of Time Machine has started failing

I have had my RN102 (OS 6.2.4) for a couple years and have been doing nightly scheduled backups to USB HDD of the shares and Time Machine area for a long time.

I have recently started getting these errors every night:

Error backup job 'Time Machine': source path does not exist.

-------- Backup Job Information --------
Backup Job Name: Time Machine
Backup Job Type: Incremental
Protocol: local
Backup Source: [timemachine:~timemachine~]/
Backup Destination: [USB_HDD_1]/NASBACKUP/TimeMachine
Backup Start Time: Fri Jul 10 2015 2:05:28
Backup Finish Time: Fri Jul 10 2015 2:05:28
Backup Status: Fail: source path does not exist.

I have only changed one thing recently: Private Time Machine had never worked for me and I finally fixed that by changing the permissions of /data/.timemachine to 755 (was 700). However, I'm 99% sure these errors started happening a day or two BEFORE I made that change. It's not surprising that they would not be correlated since that permission change shouldn't affect backups negatively.

The 4 share backups still work fine. It is just the TM backup that is failing. I have tried re-creating a new TM backup job (which required the workaround to create a backup to USB but I figured that one out) and it fails the same way.

In some log mining I found backup_005.log:
name: Time Machine
full: no
proto: local
src: [timemachine:~timemachine~]/
dst: [share:USB_HDD_1]/NASBACKUP/TimeMachine
start: 1436846454
finish: 1436846454

I also took the liberty of running fvbackup manually, with what I assumed is debugging messages enabled, and got this:
root@nas:~# /frontview/bin/fvbackup -v 10 -e 5
fvbackup_utils.c:657 (debug) write(/var/log/frontview/backup/status_backup_005,BACKUP_STATUS__IN_PROGRESS,0!!1436848441!!OK)

fvbackup_error.c:31 (debug) fvbackup_local.c:194 '//.timemachine' not exists

fvbackup_utils.c:657 (debug) write(/var/log/frontview/backup/status_backup_005,BACKUP_STATUS__FAILED!!1436848441!!warn)

So what we see here is that the path //.timemachine is obviously wrong, it should be /data/.timemachine. Why would that be suddenly using the wrong path? When I repeat that command for a different backup (one of the shares), it uses the right paths and works fine, but the procedure for backing up a share is obviously different.

Any ideas what to look at next?
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Backup of Time Machine has started failing

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?
Message 2 of 7
lrl1
Aspirant

Thanks mdgm, sending logs now. One other data point, looking at the timeline: I had an all-day power outage the day before this problem started. I.e. the next backup run after power was out and restored was the 1st one that failed. So that's conceivably related. The NAS is on a UPS and it evidently shut down cleanly when the UPS exhausted (after about 1.5 hours).

I had one other issue after that event: the NFS exports table was messed up (didn't list /media/USB_HDD_1 even though it was still showing as exported in the frontview configuration). I needed to remove and re-export it to make it accessible to my NFS client.

Thanks for your help!
Message 3 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the logs. Just sent you a PM.
Message 4 of 7
pdelges
Guide

I have the exact same problem:

Backup Job Name: TM2
Backup Job Type: Incremental
Protocol: local
Backup Source: [timemachine:~timemachine~]/
Backup Destination: [USB Front]/
Backup Start Time: Fri Jul 17 2015 12:28:37
Backup Finish Time: Fri Jul 17 2015 12:28:37
Backup Status: Fail: source path does not exist.

Is there any solution?
Message 5 of 7
lrl1
Aspirant

Initial feedback I have gotten is that it appears to be a known issue already fixed internally, so I would hope to see a fix. It's not mentioned in the public beta yet. Mdgm, can you let us know if there is a viable workaround in the interim?
Message 6 of 7
ComeB
Aspirant

Same problem with a ReadyNAS 102 with OS 6.2.5 : TM is working fine but it's no more available as a backup source...

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements