× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Backup remotely (not over LAN)

tommunday
Aspirant

Backup remotely (not over LAN)

Hi, I've had my ReadyNAS a few days and I'm desperately trying to get it backing up remotely (i.e. not from LAN) - ReadyCloud will only backup from USER folder and only to root of NAS (really sophisticated huh?)

If I could map a network drive over the internet that would be ideal and I could run Windows File History as I have done locally before, just pointing the backup at that drive

Having spent a couple of days searching through forums it seemed the only options were either

1) setting up a VPN (which I will persevere if I have to with but seems a little more complicated than I'd hoped for when I purchased the ReadyNAS)

2) Using WebDAV which seems simpler but not very secure

But then a third option seemed to present itself in ReadyNas Remote - by installing this I have the option to get an IP address remotely - 5.xxx.xxx.xxx which I can map a network drive to.

ReadyNas Remote describes itself as a VPN - so would this therefore be a safe and secure method to map a network drive remotely to my NAS?

I haven't seen any other post describe this as a method to map a network drive remotely when it seems the perfect solution - almost seems to good to be true... am I missing something?
Message 1 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes you can map a network drive to that I.P.
Message 2 of 14
TonV
Aspirant

Did you check out the ReadyNas Replicate tool? That should do the trick too...
Message 3 of 14
StephenB
Guru

TonV wrote:
Did you check out the ReadyNas Replicate tool? That should do the trick too...
OP wants to back up a PC to the NAS, so replicate doesn't apply.

tommunday, the throughput of ReadyNAS remote might frustrate you. How much data are you wanting to back up?
Message 4 of 14
tommunday
Aspirant

Thanks for all the replies - I am backing up PC to NAS so I don't think Replicate will really be suitable

ReadyNAS Remote isn't as fast as I would like - my backup will be 100s of gbs but with FileHistory after the initial backup it should be more a case of topping up so I'm hoping it will just about be managable - getting speeds of around 1mb/s

If you have any quicker suggestions I'd love to hear them...
Message 5 of 14
StephenB
Guru

A VPN will outperform this (perhaps get a VPN router).

Bittorrent Sync is another option (though I haven't tried it).
Message 6 of 14
eton
Luminary

StephenB wrote:
A VPN will outperform this (perhaps get a VPN router).

Bittorrent Sync is another option (though I haven't tried it).

Those are probably your best choices. But what about iSCSI?
Message 7 of 14
StephenB
Guru

I don't use iSCSI myself, so I am not sure how to secure it's internet traffic (or how good performance would be).
Message 8 of 14
tommunday
Aspirant

Thanks all, really appreciate your assistance - sounds like I need to keep looking into VPN. Sure I can work it out, just a bit more than I was expecting to take on when I got the NAS.

Out of interest, is this a NetGear ReadyNAS thing or would I have to follow the same steps with most makes of NAS? So would Synology's NAS's have a quicker built in solution or just the same sort of thing?
Message 9 of 14
eton
Luminary

tommunday wrote:
Out of interest, is this a NetGear ReadyNAS thing or would I have to follow the same steps with most makes of NAS? So would Synology's NAS's have a quicker built in solution or just the same sort of thing?

I think the problem is quite universal. Some manufacturers bundle several services into one, like Apples Back to My Mac. Which is a combo of SSH tunnel and dyndns. And you can setup something similar your self (which will give you much more flexibility and control). Instead of VPN, iSCSI over a SSH tunnel might work for you.
Message 10 of 14
tommunday
Aspirant

I have some homework planned then, work out what iSCSI over SSH entails!

Thanks Eton, much appreciated
Message 11 of 14
eton
Luminary

tommunday wrote:
I have some homework planned then, work out what iSCSI over SSH entails!

Thanks Eton, much appreciated

Cool cool. It's a quite generic method. Hopefully it works with your devices. I've used it with great success for other problems. If you need help with setting up dyndns, check out my thread about ddclient.
And it would be nice if you could share your solution when you are done with the task.
Message 12 of 14
tommunday
Aspirant

Excellent, I'll take a look. I've got a busy week or two coming up but when I get round to looking again I'll post any solution I get
Message 13 of 14
eton
Luminary

Did you find this one:
youtube - ReadyNAS iSCSI - setup with OS6 on a ReadyNAS 104 😉

And when reading about securing iSCSI, I often come across solutions using IPsec.
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements