× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Backup stopped working with no changes made

TomSawyer
Aspirant

Backup stopped working with no changes made

Hi,

I have the above which has been set to back-up 5 shares to a LaCie Cloudbox nightly. It has worked faultlessly until Wednesday night when 2 shares backed up successfully and 3 didn't. Since then none have. I updated the firmware to 6.6.1 on Thursday as part of trying to resolve the issue but it remains.

In terms of troubleshooting so far, I have tried a different Cloudbox in case there was a fault with it, I have tried the original setup (Windows/NAS), ftp and Rsync, and I have also tried setting up a new backup to the hard-drive on my laptop just as a trial but in each case the ReadyNAS cannot connect to the drive in question.

I've checked the device log and no firmware updates took place between the backups working and not working (the only recent update being the one I instigated on Thursday).

Could this be a hardware fault - everything else seems to work fine?

Appreciate any help.

Model: RN212D22|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 14
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi TomSawyer,

Welcome to the forums.

Were you getting error messages about the back-up job? Also, instead of backing up to the Cloudbox; can you do a local back-up job (PC to NAS)?

Sending in your ReadyNAS logs might help as well.

How do I send all logs to ReadyNAS Community moderators?

Regards,

Message 2 of 14
TomSawyer
Aspirant

Hi FramerV and thanks for the reply.

Answering your questions in turn, I get an error message if I'm logged into the webpage and I also get error emails. It was the emails that first alerted me to the issue.

I haven't tried using the ReadyNAS to pull a backup from a PC because I use software on the PC to push a backup to the NAS and then use the ReadyNAS software to push a further backup to the Cloudbox which is physically hidden (burglary insurance for my photos and videos). I can set one up by way of an experiment when I get home this evening and report back. I can also send the log.
Message 3 of 14
TomSawyer
Aspirant

Hi FramerV.

The ReadyNAS backup doesn't work if I try to get it to backup a folder from the PC to the ReadyNAS either. It doesn't find the PC folder as the source, just as it has stopped finding the cloudbox shares as destinations.

I will upload the log as suggested.

Message 4 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Does it work any better if the backup job uses the I.P. address rather than the hostname?

Message 5 of 14
TomSawyer
Aspirant

Hi mdgm,

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes - it seems to work if I replace the hostname with the IP address.

Can you explain the mystery of why it has worked for so long using the hostname until halfway through the sequence of backups one night?

Thanks.

Message 6 of 14
phoxxie
Aspirant

Hmm, that's interesting - I have what appears to be exactly the same issue. I have a backup scheme running on a ReadyNAS 314 (6.6.1)  that; backups from a PC to the NAS, from the NAS to another NAS and also from the NAS to a PC. There are 5 backups in total.

They have been running without issue for many months if not years, about a week or so ago they all failed, 'Failed to mount remote path'. The other NAS is a DUO and backups to and from that also fail now in the same way.

I too have not made any changes. If I go into each of the backup configs, the 'test connection' fails on everyone on both the DUO and 314.

If I replace the hostname with the IP it connects, but when I apply it to save the update I get;

Model: ReadyNAS 314 Firmware: 6.6.1 Context: backup_panel_readydr Error: 7002130000

and the backup statue remains ' in-queue' indefinately.

Replacing the hostname with the IP on the DUO however, works fine.

Model: ReadyNAS-3100|ReadyNAS-3100
Message 7 of 14
phoxxie
Aspirant

Quick update on the above...

Tried it today and the ReadyNAS 314 now seems to accept an IP without returning the above error or a permanent 'in-queue' status and the backups are now successsful.

Some of the devices have dynamic IPs so unless there is a fix, I'll need to make everything on my network static.

Any clues as to how / why this has come about will be gratefully received.

Message 8 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@phoxxie wrote:

Some of the devices have dynamic IPs so unless there is a fix, I'll need to make everything on my network static.

Why?

-Most routers have a way to reserve IP addresses, so a device will always get the same one from DHCP.  Netgear calls it "address reservation".  I've also seen it called "ARP binding", "MAC binding" and "Static DHCP".  So look for that feature, and see if you can simply reserve the address.

-If you don't wasnt to reserve the addresses for some reason, the router also lets you set the range of DHCP addresses to something smaller than the whole subnet.  For example, your IP address range might be 192.168.1.x, but you can set the DHCP range to 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.99, and use .100 and higher for static IP addresses.

Message 9 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

It's lilkely a router issue.  Sad to say, but every Netgear router I have ever owned (yet I have not changed brands) has a problem that if you go to the "attached devices" page, not all devices will be shown every time and doing a "refresh" does nothing.  And if the device is not shown there, the lookup by name will fail.

BUT, if you reserve an IP address, then that device will always be shown.  Of course, once you do that, it's moot.  You no longer need to look it up by name.

One of these days, I'll move to something that runs dd-wrt.  Maybe when I finally have a need for wireless AC.

Message 10 of 14
jak0lantash
Mentor

@Sandshark wrote:

if the device is not shown there, the lookup by name will fail.

NetBIOS lookups don't go through the router though.

Message 11 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@jak0lantash wrote:

NetBIOS lookups don't go through the router though.

Correct.  

Whatever the actual cause, I've found its best to use IP addresses in the backup jobs, reserving those addresses in the router.

Message 12 of 14
phoxxie
Aspirant

Sorry, in my previous post, I should have said 'change all the backup devices to static', not all devices!

I already have a number of reserved IPs, and yes it is a Netgear D7000 Router. I appreciate using IP addresses resolves the issue, but in my experience not knowing the real cause, (since nothing was changed), means that it is likely to rear it's head elsewhere in some other way.

The wierd thing is that it (only) affects the ReadyNas devices, all the windows PC directories are still accessible as before by name, without the need to use IPs.

Message 13 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@phoxxie wrote:

The wierd thing is that it (only) affects the ReadyNas devices, all the windows PC directories are still accessible as before by name, without the need to use IPs.

I agree it has its weird aspects. 

OS 6.5.0 added WS discovery to the mix, and that might have something to do with the behavior change you've seen recently. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WS-Discovery

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements