× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Backup to external USB fails - ReadyNAS NV2+

digicammad
Aspirant

Backup to external USB fails - ReadyNAS NV2+

I am running a ReadyNAS NV+ v2 with Raidiator 5.3.13.  I have 3 drives in use on X-RAID2, giving a total of 3.6tb usable, of which about 1.5tb is used.

I am trying to back this system up to a 3tb Samsung D3 Station, external USB drive but it always fails after running for a couple of hours.  

I have tested the external drive with Samsung's own diagnostic tools and cannot find any faults, bad blocks or anything else.  I'm struggling to show the log at the moment, maybe because it is rather large, but I remember when  I was able to show it the error message was unhelpful.

Has anybody else experienced anything similar?  I have tried all USB ports and the NAS is working perfectly otherwise.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

Model: ReadyNAS RND4210v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2
Message 1 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Any clues in the backup log?  How is the external drive formatted?

Message 2 of 8
digicammad
Aspirant

I finally managed to get the log and it said there was an error writing the file but not what the error was. It also told me to look at the backup log but I've no idea what that means as I was looking at the backup log.

The disk is formatted ntfs. I'm wondering whether it is some sort of job limit, if I backup a single file it works perfectly.
Message 3 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

The summary available on the Backup page may not contain all errors if there are many.  Download all logs from System page and look at the backup log in the .zip.  When using NTFS, you may get some errors regarding user permissions not being transferred, but the files should still copy OK.

Message 4 of 8
digicammad
Aspirant

Thanks I'll take a look.
Message 5 of 8
digicammad
Aspirant

I've downloaded the logs, the error log doesn't mention the backup error and the backup log just says 'input/output error'.  Are there any other logs which may shed some light?

Message 6 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Maybe another USB cable is the answer.  This is a drive that has an external power source, not one that is USB powered, I hope.

Message 7 of 8
digicammad
Aspirant

Yes it is externally powered. 🙂

Good idea about the cable, not sure why I didn't think of it.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements