× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Backup up ReadyNAS to PC

chuber
Aspirant

Backup up ReadyNAS to PC

Hello,

Would like to backup FROM my ReadyNAS Duo TO a PC (Win 7 Pro) on the local network.

Using FrontView to set up the backup jobs. For the Source, I select one of the Shares on the ReadyNAS.

For the Desitination, I select "Remote: Windows/NAS (timestamp)". I enter the Host, Path and login creds. Then run Test Connection and it always fails ("Error connecting to ,,,"). Have tried leaving the host blank, using an ip instead of computer name, different paths, etc. Always same issue, cannot connect.

Maybe worth noting is this: When I select a Home Share as the Destination, the backup job does work even though it ignores the path I entered. But this is uselss of course because it is just backing up the same data to the same drive in a different folder. But at least I know the software works!

Any help is MUCH appreciated. Have never been able to get it to work. Thank you

Model: RND2110v1|READYNAS DUO v1|EOL,RND2220v1|READYNAS DUO v1|EOL
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi chuber,

Change the path to PCTestFolder (only) and run the backup again. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Are you sure the PC share is set up properly?  Perhaps try to access it from another PC.

Message 2 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It sounds like permission issue on the Windows Share.

There is a KB for it: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29763

But I'm not sure this is sufficient in 100% of cases. There might still be some access issues (in you don't share it properly from the PC)

Message 3 of 12
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi chuber,

The article posted by @jak0lantash might help to resolve his issue (just imagine the interface of your Legacy ReadyNAS) also don't forget StephenB's suggestion. Because one way if the folder is shared properly to the network is by accessing it on another PC. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 12
chuber
Aspirant

To confirm, I am able to connect to the shared backup folder from other PCs. Have also followed the article to ensure that it is set to Shared->Everyone with read/write privileges.

I don't think I am using the wrong settings in the backup destination folder either. I have the host as the IP addr of the destination machine (have also tried just using the computer name). The path is correct and I am using the login and password I use everyday to sign in to this machine.

I wish I could post a screen shot of the FrontView setup screen.

Message 5 of 12
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi chuber,

Thanks for the information that you've provided. Let's try to isolate the problem, create another backup job and switch the backup source (PC folder) and destination (ReadyNAS share) *using a new PC folder and a new ReadyNAS share*. 

With regard to uploading a screenshot, save it in .png format and upload it.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 12
chuber
Aspirant

Hi Brian,

Where/how do I upload a photo to this post? Cannot locate that option. Is it "insert/edit image"? What do I use for the source path?

I did create a new backup job, source folder and destination folder and recognize you are asking me to do the reverse of what my original goal is (you want me to use the PC as source and ReadyNAS as destination; my goal is to backup from the NAS to my PC). But I do not even know what to select for the Source in your scenario. I tried selecting "Volume:C", but that apparently is not my PC but the NAS because when I ran that backup test, it gave me an error saying I cannot copy to the same volume.

If I can get screen shots of my interface to you, that would be really helpful.

Thanks again

Message 7 of 12
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi chuber,

That's it. Click the insert/edit image and upload the .png photo that you took.

With regard to the test backup I'm referring to. Use or select your PC as the source (a sample folder or a folder within my documents or desktop which is properly shared on the network) and the destination (one of the ReadyNAS shares). Also, the backup job logs would help. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 12
chuber
Aspirant

Brian,

I don't have any log files to send yet as I have not successfully run a backup job from NAS to PC or vice versa. 

Am I supposed to use Remote: Windows/NAS (Timestamp)? It is the only option I have to connect to the PC.

backup003.png

I tried the ip addr and the computer name (vostro) for the host. Neither works and gives the error shown below this photo

backup004.png

backup005-error.png

Of course, I was unable to run the Test Connection successfully, but saved the backup and ran it anyway so I could show you the log file below:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FULL Backup started. Thu Apr 28 19:13:04 PDT 2016

Job: 001
Protocol: cifs
Source: //192.168.1.124/C:\Users\TM\Documents\PCTestFolder
Destination: [backuptest]/

Backup failed. Thu Apr 28 19:13:06 PDT 2016.

Reason for failure:
Unable to access remote path //192.168.1.124/C:\Users\TM\Documents\PCTestFolder.

Message 9 of 12
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi chuber,

Change the path to PCTestFolder (only) and run the backup again. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 12
chuber
Aspirant

Brian (and others),

Cannot thank you enough....it works!

FIrst I changed the path as you instructed. But it still did not work. So I went back to check on the permissions. I had already followed the steps to share folders as suggested in one of the previous posts. This time however, I went to the specific folder on the destination PC and selected Advanced Sharing on the Sharing tab. I enabled Advanced Sharing (went individually to each folder). Then, everything worked.

So why do I have to do the Advanced Sharing if I already had the folders shared? 

Again, huge thanks for the great help!

Message 11 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Because Windows 😉

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation