× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backup

dragos1
Aspirant

Backup

Hi,

I'm trying to sync some folders from 1 NAs RN10211D unit to 50 Nasunits RN10211D on private WAN network. Since the content is formed by large video files what is the best way to do it ?
I have the latest firmware 6.1.9 on RN10211D . SO far I tried FTP and RSYNC
I can do easily a FTP backup job for initial replication and it works. But I have some issues with ftp backup: if I delete some files from the destination folder and I'm running the backup again it won't do anything, No deleted files will appear.
No luck with RSYNC either , I figure out it won't work unless you have a user name and a password (no security not good for rsync) Also another issue, local share folder Videos as source and ip address in destination remote: rsync server will fail. If I put folder Videos in path settings of destination (host will be same) it will create a folder videos in the videos folder. So I'm stuck. Also rsync won't let you select the maximum speed. This is a big issue as I don't want too kill the network
Waiting for suggestions.
Sorry if this was posted already I couldn't find anything
thank you

Dragos
Message 1 of 19
vandermerwe
Master

Re: Backup

Can you setup rsync pull jobs on each nas. These can then run at different times/days.
Initial setup will be a pain though.
Message 2 of 19
dragos1
Aspirant

I tried but I encountered various problems. It won't sync a folder in the root of the NAS. Also can you limit the speed with rsync?
Message 3 of 19
vandermerwe
Master

Perhaps if you explain in more detail what you are trying to setup then we may have some more ideas.
You presumably want to sync some app settings or the NAS configuration?
To control speed I think you'll need to use a managed switch.
Message 4 of 19
dragos1
Aspirant

Thank you. Forget about the speed limit thing. I can limit it with FTP from the NAS. FTP is the only options since RSYNC doesn't do what I need. RSYNC can't sync a folder from the root of the NAS unit or at least I can't find a way of doing it.
Need help with that as well as I can't find a manual for the NAS Unit. All the info I found is very old and doesn't look like the firmware I'm using: Version 6.1.9 on NAS are READY NAS 102.
I'm trying to sync big video files from 1 NAS MASter unit to 50 NAS slaves units across the network. My problem is if I re-encode 1 video and put it on the NAS master unit (it will have the same name) and I run a backup job it won't update the video on other NAS slaves units. I have to go on slave units delete the file and then the backup will do its job. Is there anything I can do to go round this issue ?
Message 5 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Rsync is designed for backups not FTP.
Message 6 of 19
vandermerwe
Master

In your specific example you could setup "remove deleted files on target", delete the old file on the source, run the backup, then add the new file to the source, then rerun the backup. This is with rsync of course..
Can't you have a separate backup with FTP for the root files/ folders you need and use rsync for the video files.

You would of course need a separate job for each of the 50 nas units.
Message 7 of 19
dragos1
Aspirant

Can you help me please. Please anybody confirm the rsync limitations/settings.
I m just trying to rsync a folder from 1 nas to another one. On the master NAS I create a backup job which has source type: share Name: share:videos and destination type: remote ; name remote:Rsync server
host: 10.0.x.y and login bla bla.

The job fails
this is the log

Backup Job Name: Rsync_Hathersage
Backup Job Type: Incremental
Protocol: rsync
Backup Source: [Videos]/
Backup Destination: [remote:rsync]/10.0.251.67::
Backup Start Time: Mon Nov 17 2014 20:12:33
Backup Finish Time: Mon Nov 17 2014 20:12:33
Backup Status: Fail: connection cannot be established. Please check the connection and authentication, if required.

ERROR: The remote path must start with a module name not a /
rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1534) [sender=3.0.9]
Message 8 of 19
dragos1
Aspirant

On the master NAS I create a backup job which has source type: share Name: share:videos and destination type: remote ; name remote:Rsync server
host: 10.0.x.y ; PATH : Videos and login bla bla.

The job is a success but it's copying the files into VIDEOS\VIDEOS folder at the destination.
this is the log

Backup Job Name: Rsync_Hathersage
Backup Source: [Videos]/
Backup Destination: [remote:rsync]/10.0.251.67::Videos
Backup Start Time: Mon Nov 17 2014 20:07:52
Backup Finish Time: Mon Nov 17 2014 20:07:55
Backup Status: Fail: cancelled by user.
Message 9 of 19
dragos1
Aspirant

Can you please answer this but only if you read it. Not interested in any not helpful comments. So far only the ftp worked for me. I think rsync can't sync folders in the root of the nas unit. Thanks
Message 10 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That Rsync issue is something we might be able to consider addressing in a future release.
Message 11 of 19
vandermerwe
Master

It works as dragos wants it to work in OS4 (I finally understand the problem he is having), why not in OS6?
Is it not simple to address?
Message 12 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If we fix this it may break backups for users with existing backups. So we need a fix that handles that appropriately.
Message 13 of 19
dragos1
Aspirant

I'm using the latest firmware. 6.1.9
Message 14 of 19
vandermerwe
Master

Does having "data" or the volume name in the path make any difference? I suspect it doesn't.
Message 15 of 19
dragos1
Aspirant

Can you please tell me if there is a way to go around the case sensitive file sync using Rsync. I want to enable the NAS unit to use case sensitivity wren handling files all the time or maybe on specific folder.
I have an issue using Rsync. If I rename a file from e.g. Abcd.avi to ABCD.avi in the source folder and run a backup Rsync job the file on destination won't be updating. The rsync backup job is incremnetal not full backup.

Backup Job Name: rsync_videos
Backup Source: [remote:rsync]/10.0.4.254::Videos
Backup Destination: [Videos]/
Backup Start Time: Wed Nov 19 2014 11:51:26
Backup Finish Time: Wed Nov 19 2014 11:52:42
Backup Status: Success

./
Clothing (Level 1)/
GUIDE/
Induction/
Induction/GO Academy Introduction.mp4

sent 109 bytes received 8414665 bytes 109997.05 bytes/sec
total size is 1041487244 speedup is 123.77
Message 16 of 19
dragos1
Aspirant

No it doesn't make any difference. also I've updated the firmware to 6.20 no luck
To conclude:
1. So so far rsync is not available to sync folders in the root of the device, it works fine if want to use rsync for folder not in root.
2. There is no way to enable case sensitivity on Nas unit or at least to enable it on a backup jobs to sync files or folders via ftp or rsync etc.

I'm stuck
Message 17 of 19
StephenB
Guru

I tried this using my pro-6 as the source, and my RN102 as the destination (with the RN102 running the back up job). The RN102 is running 6.2.0

Renaming a file (just changing the case of the first letter) resulted in the backup job updating that file. So it works properly in my situation. I don't have 2 RN102 systems to try it with though.
Message 18 of 19
dragos1
Aspirant

OK, Stephen I ll have to try it in the new 6.2.0 as in 6.1.9 case sensitivity via rsync was off. I let you know
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements