× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bad Access Rights

atz6975
Guide

Bad Access Rights

Hi I recently switched off AFP on a  RN526, mostly used by Mojave Macs. Everybody is now using SMB.

It seems that files created don't respect the group setting : all users belong to a group "design".

When they create files, they are created as "users" group instead of "design".

As a result people cannot share files and update them, they can only create them.

I have "forced" the file ownership for newly created files/directory, reset the ownership : all to now avail.

Shall I log a case? Does anybody know of this?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Model: RN526X| ReadyNAS 526X 6-Bay with up to 60TB total storage
Message 1 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Bad Access Rights

Dum differtur, vita transcurrit 🙂

Message 2 of 6
atz6975
Guide

Your comment stands by itself in this case...

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@atz6975 wrote:

It seems that files created don't respect the group setting : all users belong to a group "design".

When they create files, they are created as "users" group instead of "design".

If the users are logging in with the "design" account credentials, then I would log a case.  If anonymous access is enabled, then you might want to disable it, just to make sure that they are always using credentials.

A workaround might be to change the NAS accounts so they are all in the "user" group (since you only have one group anyway).

Message 4 of 6
atz6975
Guide

Each user has its own credentials and is part of "design" group (by default for each new user).

Other users are part of other groups.

My focus is on design users. Their files are created as user_id:users instead of user_id:design.

By default, new files are cretaed with specific following rights : Folder Group, admin, design (group). 

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@atz6975 wrote:

Other users are part of other groups.

Ok, that wasn't clear to me from your first post.

@atz6975 wrote:

Each user has its own credentials and is part of "design" group (by default for each new user).

Understood.  But if anonymous access is enabled for the share, then they might sometimes be accessing the NAS w/o credentials.  It'd be good to make sure that isn't happening.

It might be helpful to post the network access and file access screens for one of the shares.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements