× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Bad OS? RN2120 - Firmware 6.9.1

FG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Bad OS? RN2120 - Firmware 6.9.1

I recently had some sort of coruption on the NAS causing my to loose all the data. I factory reset NAS and still have some possible bugs left over. Netgear tech suggested to re-install OS, I did that, but no change.

After I factory reset, I remember seeing a new icon.......rezillow?....it is not there anymore.In the GUI, in the system tab, towards bottom of the page shouldn’t there be some featured app called rezillow or something like that? I remember seeing rezillow after I factory reset the NAS back on 12-7. 

Also, Under the apps tab, under both “installed apps” and “available apps” there is nothing listed. There should be something listed under apps, correct? 

I should note, that on the NAS, under system, under settings and under Updates, I have it set for STABLE. I don’t know that it makes any difference to the current problems I am seeing.

Below is link to post I created about the data loose.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-in-Business/data-gone-and-a-few-follow-up-questions/td-p/1...

Model: RN2120|ReadyNAS 2120 1U 4-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
FG
Aspirant
Aspirant

The apps were associated with a temp volume I created last week, when I factory reset the NAS and then shortly after the reset I deleted the volume. The apps were stuck in the temp volume even thought it was deleted. 

A Netgear engineer found the problem yesterday afternoon.

How does a deleted volume hold anything.....its deleted? Not sure that I fully understand what happened, but it is fixed.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@FG wrote:

After I factory reset, I remember seeing a new icon.......rezillow?....it is not there anymore.In the GUI, in the system tab, towards bottom of the page shouldn’t there be some featured app called rezillow or something like that? I remember seeing rezillow after I factory reset the NAS back on 12-7. 

You must mean Resilio Sync.

Featured apps and available apps can take a while to show up on the NAS, but it is worth checking into this.

Are you using a static address on the NAS?  If so, double-check that you remembered to set a DNS server (check the subnet mask while you are at it).  Even if you are using DHCP, you might try adding 8.8.8.8 to the DNS server list in network settings.  That is Google's public DNS server.

Also look on the cloud page, and see it shows a green status for your internet connection.

Message 2 of 13
FG
Aspirant
Aspirant

What do you consider a while? I factory reset NAS on the 7th, resilio was visible after the reset and then sometime between the 7th and now resilio went away. I don't remember seeing anything under the Apps tab since we got the NAS in May 2016.

The NAS is not in our domain. It is in a workgroup.

I have our server/dhcp setup with a reservation for the NAS, so the nas always uses the same address.

On the NAS, under network, IPv4 tab, I have the configure feild set to "using DHCP"

The NAS is using the correct IP address.

The correct subnet.

The router IP address.

And there are 3 DNS servers listed, which are all the correct addresses.

IPv6 tab, configure is set to DISABLE.

From CMD I can ping 8.8.8.8 succesfully. But if I enter 8.8.8.8 in browser, I get an error....site can't be reach....timed out. Should I be able to browse to 8.8.8.8 ?

On the CLOUD page I don't see a GREEN status for the internet connection. Where is would this be on the page...top, bottom, left, right? 

What I do see on the CLOUD page is a bunch of apps

ReadyCLOUD

ReadyNAS Replicate

Amazon Cloud Drive

Amazon S3

Dropbox

Google Drive

Microsoft Azure

Microsoft OneDrive

ReadyNAS Vault

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@FG wrote:

Should I be able to browse to 8.8.8.8 ?

No, it's a DNS server - not a website.

@FG wrote:

On the CLOUD page I don't see a GREEN status for the internet connection. Where is would this be on the page...top, bottom, left, right? 

Turn on ReadyCloud, and it should appear at the top.  Since you're not using ReadyCloud, just turn ReadyCloud off after you've seen the status.

@FG wrote:

What do you consider a while? I factory reset NAS on the 7th, resilio was visible after the reset and then sometime between the 7th and now resilio went away. I don't remember seeing anything under the Apps tab since we got the NAS in May 2016.

A day or so at most, not weeks.  You are looking on the available apps page, correct?  Installed Apps will of course be empty unless you've installed something.

Message 4 of 13
FG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, once I turned on ReadyCLOUD then I see the green check marks, top left.

Yes, under available apps there is nothing listed. Nothing under either tab.....installed or available.

Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@FG wrote:

Yes, under available apps there is nothing listed. Nothing under either tab.....installed or available. 

Try rebooting the NAS, and see if they appear (after 15 minutes or so).

If they don't, then try adding 8.8.8.8 to the DNS server list, and reboot again.

Message 6 of 13
FG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok. I will try adding 8.8.8.8 and a reboot.

When I plug in a usb drive into NAS, then from GUI eject drive, wait a few minutes and then unplug usb from NAS I get an error in the kernel log

USB error -32

Any thoughts?

Message 7 of 13
FG
Aspirant
Aspirant

8.8.8.8 was added to network settings. Rebooted.

About 30 minutes later and still nothing on available apps.

Message 8 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Is there a particular app you are interested in?  You can also download them and install manually ( http://apps.readynas.com/pages/?page_id=9 )

Message 9 of 13
FG
Aspirant
Aspirant

No, I don't really care about the apps. I just thought that the lack of apps present on the GUI was an indication that something was not working correctly.

Message 10 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Something isn't quite right, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it unless there are other symptoms.

Message 11 of 13
FG
Aspirant
Aspirant

The apps were associated with a temp volume I created last week, when I factory reset the NAS and then shortly after the reset I deleted the volume. The apps were stuck in the temp volume even thought it was deleted. 

A Netgear engineer found the problem yesterday afternoon.

How does a deleted volume hold anything.....its deleted? Not sure that I fully understand what happened, but it is fixed.

Message 12 of 13
Danthem
NETGEAR Employee

It could be some configuration files on the OS looking for apps under /<oldvolname>/.apps rather than /<newvolname>/.apps

The volume was deleted but some config file was left behind on the OS (which is separate from the data volume you destroyed).

Glad to hear it's fixed anyways 🙂

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements