× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Bad transfer speed after Firmware upgrade

KrissKross
Aspirant

Bad transfer speed after Firmware upgrade

Hey Guys

I'm really annoyed about my transfer speed after I upgrade to the firmware 4.2.16.

I have a Ready NAS Ultra 4 and I copied my movie files from my PC (Windows 7) with speeds up to 50 MB/s and now after the Firmware upgrade I'm stuck somewhere between 12 and 15 MB/s. This is unacceptable.....

I haven't changed any configuration or any Hardware on my Homenetwork, so it must have something to do with this new firmware!!!!!!

Also the newest Firmware 4.2.17 doesn't solve the problem. And there is no downgrading to 4.2.15 possible!!!

Please do something about this.

Greets
Message 1 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What brand and model hard disks are you using?

Do you have any add-ons installed?

Have you tried a OS/firmware re-install?: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_re-install_the_firmware

You might also wish to check that the NIC drivers for your PC are up-to-date.

Trying a different ethernet cable (must be CAT5e or newer) could also be worth a try. Perhaps even try a direct-connection: http://sphardy.com/web/directconnect
Message 2 of 12
KrissKross
Aspirant

Thank you for the ideas, but I really think this is a firmware issue. When I look thru the forum I see other user having the same problem after upgrading to the firmware 4.2.16.

I haven't touched my homenetwork (hardware and software) lately at all. And yes, all cables are CAT5 or higher. Switches/Router/PC are Gigabit. Only Add-ons which are running is Squeezecenter and Transmission, though Transmission has no jobs quede or pending!

Harddisk are 2x3TB Western Digital Caviar Green, 64MB, 3TB, SATA-3
and 2x1TB Samsung HD103SI, F2EG, 5400rpm, 32MB, 1TB, SATA-II

The slow transfer rate occured after the firmware upgrade!
Message 3 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You need Cat5e or higher. Cat5 isn't good enough.

Even if you haven't touched your hardware it's still possible to have a coincidental problem and a good idea to try to rule that out. I would suggest trying what I suggested above.

You could try installing your addons over the top of themselves and see if this makes a difference. It has been known to make a difference sometimes.

I believe your disks aren't on the HCL. Disks not on the compatibility list may/may not work. It's possible a firmware update could cause issues with disks that are not approved for use with the ReadyNAS.

Edit: Checking for a bad disk using the "Disk Test" boot option using the boot menu (http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_use_the_boot_menu) could also be a good idea (I would try this after other suggestions)
Message 4 of 12
KrissKross
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
You need Cat5e or higher. Cat5 isn't good enough.

Sorry, I'm using Cat5e and higher, actually I'm using the cables I got with the ReadyNas!

Thanks, I will try your suggestions, but are not very confident it'll solve the issue. I just have the fealing it has something to do with the expasion with the new firmware to 3 TB Disks....
Message 5 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If your volume is currently resyncing this would explain a performance problem.

Did you add the 3TB drives before or after updating to 4.2.16?

What is the volume status under Volumes > Volume Settings in Frontview?
Message 6 of 12
KrissKross
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
If your volume is currently resyncing this would explain a performance problem.

Did you add the 3TB drives before or after updating to 4.2.16?

Volume is currently not resyncing and the 3 TB drives were added after the firmware upgrade.

Actually the slow transfer speed allready occured with the same drive configuration after the firmware upgrade, before I inserted the new 3 TB drives.
Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Do you see any packet loss issues on the ReadyNAS statistics? Even a small amount of packet loss will result in a big drop in performance.
Message 8 of 12
whocares256
Aspirant

I have the same problem I bought the ReadyNas Ultra 2 Plus and was getting a constant 85MB/s in RAID 0. I changed to RAID 1 and After the firmware update i only get 19 to 20MB/s.

Current drives are 2 x Seagate ST32000542AS

Logs Below.

[2011/07/21 00:37:04] Factory default initiated by button!
[2011/07/21 01:03:39] Updated from RAIDiator to 4.2.15.
[2011/07/21 00:53:22] Updated from RAIDiator 4.2.15 to 4.2.18.

I updated the firmware because i was getting an overheating warning on the CPU fan. We should be able to downgrade back to the previous version.

UPDATE: Talked to Netgear support and did a config reset and I was getting 85MB\s again. What changed was the network settings. Default is jumbo frames disabled and MTU set to 1500 for the Ultra 2 Plus.
Message 9 of 12
KrissKross
Aspirant

whocares256 wrote:
UPDATE: Talked to Netgear support and did a config reset and I was getting 85MB\s again. What changed was the network settings. Default is jumbo frames disabled and MTU set to 1500 for the Ultra 2 Plus.

Hey Guys

Have changed my MTU from 9000 to 1500 and are back at 50 Mbps!!! Don't belive it. Didn't change anything while upgrading, but only with this change everything is perfect again.

Update: Something is strange. If I change the MTU manually to 1500 the transferspeed is high. But when the values are automaticly set after a reboot the MTU value is always higher and the transfer speed much lower. I didn't have this issue before the firmware upgrade!
Message 10 of 12
chazen
Aspirant

Try installing 4.2.18, (which is now 4.2.19 because its been pulled due to the fact that any AFP-enabled share will inadvertently obtain guest access), from readynas.com the "news and events" page. It's not the support page which is where you think you would find it, but no. Installed 4.2.18 and it seems to be working much better, no thanks to their support line.
-- J
Message 11 of 12
DEFSQUAD
Aspirant

i also have ad slow speed after upgrading to 4.2.16. tried turning jumbo frames off and on and can only get up to 40MB\s. i used to get at lease 55MB\s every time. i only have 4088 byte jumbo frames on my laptop and the readynas has 9000. is there any way to mach the packet size on the readynas.

anyone ?
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements