× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Balancing takes weeks to complete

Laserbait
Luminary

Balancing takes weeks to complete

My RN204 running 6.05.01 with 3x 4TB and 1 2TB disk was running at about 80+% full between data and snapshots (even though I was only using about 4 TB for my data).   I tried to do a balance, and after 3-4 days, it only got to about 6%, and the performance was abysmal. 

I cleared out all my snapshots and and moved data around so that I was only about 25% full, and the balance took just minutes.  Now I have a schedule to balance every other day.

It seems to me that balancing is pretty critical to BTRFS and it's capacity reporting and performance.  Why is it not just run every day by default?  I would expect that it would be pretty fast if it was run often.

Model: RN20400|4BAY Diskless Desktop Readynas Storage
Message 1 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Running it every day is way more than enough and unnecessary. Once a week at most should be sufficient.

If you never run a balance the filesystem may become quite unbalanced and the first subsequence balance may take a long time especially if the volume is quite full and the space is nearly fully allocated

Message 2 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

Running it every day is way more than enough and unnecessary. 

Agreed.  I run it once a quarter, and it completes pretty quickly (the last one completed in 30 minutes).  Perhaps start with once a week, and then try once a month and see if the completion time stays low.

Message 3 of 9
Laserbait
Luminary

I was doing the balance every month, but I have a lot of change data going to the RN204 (daily backups from my computers using Veeam with a 5 day retention), so in my case, I think the balance needs to be done more.

Message 4 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Lasebait,

You might want to see this article too: ReadyNAS OS 6: An overview of relevant scheduled maintenance tasks available

Regards,

Message 5 of 9
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Laserbait, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks, 

Message 6 of 9
Laserbait
Luminary

Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to really see, as my RN20400 died shortly after this. 

Model: RN20400|4BAY Diskless Desktop Readynas Storage
Message 7 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Laserbait,

If it died then it needs to be replaced. I checked your profile and found that you have already contacted support and replacement has been processed.

Regards,

Message 8 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Laserbait,

It appears the replacement has been sent on the 23rd. Case is still currently open for your feedback about the replacement.

Regards,

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements